Prospective owner with some different questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennbtw

Didn't know if I should hijack dlssg77's post or not so I thought I would ask on my own.

I have my first test drive coming up in couple of days. One of my reasons for looking at this car is it will be my main go to the mountains car. I seriously doubt the dealer will allow me a run to Tahoe so I will ask here.

For the folks out West, how does this car do climbing Donner Summit (‎7,056 ft (2,151 m) or Eisenhower Grade ‎11,013 ft (3,357m)?
Not looking for a hot rod but would like it to keep up with traffic.

I live in the Central Valley of California and travel lots of two lanes. It's a fact of life that you will need to pass other traffic. I've heard off the line it is great but the top end acceleration is somewhat lacking.

I've been lurking here for a couple months. I've also been watching to see one on the road. In that time I have only seen one PHEV. If you had it to do over would you buy one again?

Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Glenn

Glennbtw, I live in the Fraser Valley, BC, Canada. My home is near sea level, and I often do weekend trips into our surrounding mountains, though none of our passes are much over 6,500'. I most definitely do not hold up traffic on the hills, and have no trouble accelerating from 100kph to 140kph on some of the steepest grades. That's 60mph to 80mph, for those non-metric folks. Once I'm into the mountains, I do a lot of travel on resource roads, and find that the S-AWC provides excellent traction on the gravel and dirt, though I do have to be careful on the rougher sections, due to the limited ground clearance.

I've never had any problems with passing when needed, though it's definitely not a muscle car.

I'm surprised that you've only seen one in your area, they're quite popular around here. I usually see at least a couple every day in my 150 km daily drive. I think part of the attraction here is the chance to offset our ridiculously high gas prices, the highest in Canada, at $1.39.9/L in my town today. In the 6 months I've had mine, I've done 30,000km (20,000mi), and stiil love the look, feel, and fuel economy, and would definitely do it over again. No buyer's remorse here!

Another BCer here. Same experiences.

I've done the Creston/Salmo route a number of times with no problems. It's not the highest pass in the world (1775m), but it's pretty famous for burning out brakes on the downhill ... in this car the friction pads hardly get used since it's doing regen most of the way.

No problems keeping up and passing at hwy speeds. It's not a muscle car by any means ... but I do feel good being green.

I've driven hills and highway but haven't played in the mountains yet. For your drive, keep some charge in the battery using either hold or charge. The reason that the 'car review' people sometimes report on power is that they let the battery run down. The two motors are 60 KW each, but the battery alone can only supply 30 KW*. To get full performance, you'll need both the battery and the generator to be in play. This also applies if you have some load and cruise the interstate at 80.

Enjoy the drive!

Edit.. * The battery can only supply 30 KW to each motor was my intent. Full performance still requires battery and generator.
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13901#p13901

Battery supplies 60 kW (even 70 on the MY19). And does so even when you allow it to 'deplete'. Only after continued power demand against a 'depleted' battery, power output wil be reduced. But I think very very few people have actually experienced this.

Don't forget that even when showing empty, the battery actually has 25-30% reserve, so plenty for overtaking.

It seems to be towing that stresses the PHEV, especially at higher speeds. Does anyone have a power problem when not towing?

glennbtw said:
I got mine in Oakland, CA. dealers gave me about $4200 off the sticker. If your local dealer can give you similar - just buy there.

PS. I don't see lot of outlander in Bay Area. But it's not extremely rare car. When I bought mine, dealer said they sold 6 PHEV just that day.

Back