Hydraulic ECU Recall

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

Mitsubishi North America is sending recall notices for all 2017-2018 Outlander, 2018 Outlander PHEV, 2018 Eclipse Cross, and 2018 Outlander Sport.

Due to incorrect software for the hydraulic unit electronic control unit (H/U-ECU), electrical noise may be generated when the pump motor for the H/U operates, causing the H/U-ECU to reset. If this occurs, it may affect operation of certain safety systems such as automatic emergency braking, Anti-lock Braking (ABS), Active Stability Control (ASC), or the Brake Auto Hold (BAH) function when any of these system are in use. If the safety systems do not function as intended, it can increase the risk of a crash.

My local dealer has the new software and the service folks say that as long as their computers can talk to the Mitsubishi 'mother ship' that the update should only take about 15 minutes.

AndyH said:
Mitsubishi North America is sending recall notices for all 2017-2018 Outlander, 2018 Outlander PHEV, 2018 Eclipse Cross, and 2018 Outlander Sport.

Due to incorrect software for the hydraulic unit electronic control unit (H/U-ECU), electrical noise may be generated when the pump motor for the H/U operates, causing the H/U-ECU to reset. If this occurs, it may affect operation of certain safety systems such as automatic emergency braking, Anti-lock Braking (ABS), Active Stability Control (ASC), or the Brake Auto Hold (BAH) function when any of these system are in use. If the safety systems do not function as intended, it can increase the risk of a crash.

My local dealer has the new software and the service folks say that as long as their computers can talk to the Mitsubishi 'mother ship' that the update should only take about 15 minutes.
Thanks for the info. Do you think dealers will automatically perform the fix on their current unsold stock or would they only do it once a vehicle is purchased?

My general experience (specifically not with Mitsubishi) is that dealers sell a new car with known recalls.

When I bought my sports car (donkey's years ago) the dealer warned me that there were two recalls in place and booked me in for both of them on the spot.

It's probably something odd like needing a customer to record the servicing against.

AndyH said:

And if their computers lose contact with the "mother ship" during those 15 minutes, it will take 2 weeks, because Mitsubishi's engineers are ****ing morons.

I took my car in on Wednesday. Internet connection went down during update. ECU got bricked, and they have to ship a new one from Japan (time estimate: 10-15 days). Because those morons apparently didn't realize that THE INTERNET IS NOT RELIABLE AND CAN GO DOWN AT ANY TIME, and you need to have a way to back out of the update if it's not fully completed

dlssg77 said:
AndyH said:

Thanks for the info. Do you think dealers will automatically perform the fix on their current unsold stock or would they only do it once a vehicle is purchased?
I would not even bother paying for the vehicle until the software is loaded on it. If they brick a car, they can do it on one that they own, not one that I own after I purchase it.

And they should fire the moron software engineers who designed the update system without a backup plan in case the internet goes down.

My local dealer has the new software and the service folks say that as long as their computers can talk to the Mitsubishi 'mother ship' that the update should only take about 15 minutes.[/quote]
Thanks for the info. Do you think dealers will automatically perform the fix on their current unsold stock or would they only do it once a vehicle is purchased?[/quote]
I would not even bother paying for the vehicle until the software is loaded on it. If they brick a car, they can do it on one that they own, not one that I own after I purchase it.

And they should fire the moron software engineers who designed the update system without a backup plan in case the internet goes down.[/quote]

Good point. Is there a way they can prove they did the update before the purchase?

I have a recall in UK , it a whole day affair. The letter came through from DVLA and will take about 2hrs but when I went to dealer they said all day. Booked for December

Back