Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/

Battery Capacitance Measurement - Canada
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4316
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Trades46 [ Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Battery Capacitance Measurement - Canada

Mitsubishi Canada has published a "Battery capacitance measurement" to be performed on all PHEVs at either 15 months or 24,000km. The service advisor I met described it very similar to a cell smoothing procedure (full discharge + slow recharge + cell balancing) and a BMU refresh.

Is this the vaunted "PHEV vaccination" as described by Andy of Unplugged EV of Australia? I tried searching on this forum and nothing turned up. This seems like a relatively new process Mitsubishi Canada posted up so I'm hoping to hear some thoughts before going ahead with it.

Author:  anko [ Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Battery Capacitance Measurement - Canada

I had my first DBCAM (Drive Brattery Capacity Automatic Measurement) performed about three years ago. Apart from being scheduled, I doubt this procedure would be something else.

Author:  elm70 [ Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Battery Capacitance Measurement - Canada

anko wrote:
I had my first DBCAM (Drive Brattery Capacity Automatic Measurement) performed about three years ago. Apart from being scheduled, I doubt this procedure would be something else.


You might not be up to date with the latest "theory" from Andy ... the famous " "PHEV vaccination"

I might also have miss many videos too ...

Anyhow ...

My understanding of "PHEV vaccination" is the following:
- BMU reset
- Smoothing procedure, with BMU initialization

Apparently ... if only BMU reset is done, the BMU lost the battery capacity reference, and it will be "confused" , and as result, BMU will be conservative and will drop SOH quickly

If only smoothing procedure it is done, this does not remove the history of the battery capacity measurement, and this cause to keep the trend on reducing SOH

Apparently many '19 models with bigger capacity has been released to customer with only a BMU reset, and the absence of capacity reference cause a quick decline of SOH

Same happen for people which got a replacement battery, the PHEV BMU got a reset and the SOH was declining very quickly for apparently no reason.

I guess the battery smoothing that you got in your PHEV might have been done in a wrong way, since also your PHEV was keeping the SOH declining pattern, even if the battery was possibly a bit better then what the BMU was reporting.

Anyhow ... these are all theories from Andy and friends ... I don't know if people that reverse engineer the BMU got better idea then the Mitsubishi engineers ... either way ... after 5 years it is looking like that Mitsubishi is still a bit blind in the BMU and Battery degradation ...

PS: In my case ... I hope once temperature will rise my PHEV battery will behave better ... I still have a relative decent SOH above 88% ... but .. every time the car is left parked without charging, it does always report a significant drop of SOH, from 0.4 up to 2.2Ah ... if my battery has in reality 2.0Ah less capacity .. then also my PHEV is aligned with many with relative high degradation .. on the positive side .. SOH is updated every 45 days now .. so I'm losing only 0.1Ah every 45 days .. so "only" 0.8Ah per year

Author:  luispcorreia [ Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Battery Capacitance Measurement - Canada

elm70 wrote:
anko wrote:
I had my first DBCAM (Drive Brattery Capacity Automatic Measurement) performed about three years ago. Apart from being scheduled, I doubt this procedure would be something else.


You might not be up to date with the latest "theory" from Andy ... the famous " "PHEV vaccination"

I might also have miss many videos too ...

Anyhow ...

My understanding of "PHEV vaccination" is the following:
- BMU reset
- Smoothing procedure, with BMU initialization

Apparently ... if only BMU reset is done, the BMU lost the battery capacity reference, and it will be "confused" , and as result, BMU will be conservative and will drop SOH quickly

If only smoothing procedure it is done, this does not remove the history of the battery capacity measurement, and this cause to keep the trend on reducing SOH

Apparently many '19 models with bigger capacity has been released to customer with only a BMU reset, and the absence of capacity reference cause a quick decline of SOH

Same happen for people which got a replacement battery, the PHEV BMU got a reset and the SOH was declining very quickly for apparently no reason.

I guess the battery smoothing that you got in your PHEV might have been done in a wrong way, since also your PHEV was keeping the SOH declining pattern, even if the battery was possibly a bit better then what the BMU was reporting.

Anyhow ... these are all theories from Andy and friends ... I don't know if people that reverse engineer the BMU got better idea then the Mitsubishi engineers ... either way ... after 5 years it is looking like that Mitsubishi is still a bit blind in the BMU and Battery degradation ...

PS: In my case ... I hope once temperature will rise my PHEV battery will behave better ... I still have a relative decent SOH above 88% ... but .. every time the car is left parked without charging, it does always report a significant drop of SOH, from 0.4 up to 2.2Ah ... if my battery has in reality 2.0Ah less capacity .. then also my PHEV is aligned with many with relative high degradation .. on the positive side .. SOH is updated every 45 days now .. so I'm losing only 0.1Ah every 45 days .. so "only" 0.8Ah per year



so what would be the right approach to a new 2019 model?

why are you getting the drop every 45 days now? because your vehicle got the right "treatment"?

regards

Author:  Phevy [ Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Battery Capacitance Measurement - Canada

Guess will find out in August, as then mine is 15 months old... ?
I'm down to 33 Ah at 19258 km...

Author:  elm70 [ Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Battery Capacitance Measurement - Canada

luispcorreia wrote:

so what would be the right approach to a new 2019 model?

why are you getting the drop every 45 days now? because your vehicle got the right "treatment"?

regards


No idea what is the right approach for the 2019 model.

Mine get now a SOH update every 45days, mainly due to low usage and many partial charge (if I'm not planing to make more then 10km on next day I just charge the car for 1 or 2 hours instead of make a full charge)

Still some weeks ago I got the surprise to a -0.5Ah SOH outside the 45 days cycle ... when I was doing more km with my PHEV the SOH update was every 30 days, and was always -0.1Ah

I think there is no right treatment ... I only take care to don't use B5 unless I really need to maximize my EV range for arrive at destination without start the ICE ... else I normally drive in B0 for reduce the battery stress on the recharge burst

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/