Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tesla chargers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:12 pm 

Can we use the tesla chargers at service stations and are they free to use?

Post subject: Re: Tesla chargers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:40 pm 

No - We can't use them I'm afraid. They don't have the right connector and they don't use the same charging protocol, and I think they recognise the Tesla owner when they get plugged in and check to see if they're enabled for supercharging. No way, no how I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:01 am 

Thanks for that.. I have only had my car a couple of days and have been browsing various apps/ sites etc. to try to find free of charge charging points and seem to be struggling a little! Does anyone have a "fast track" answer to this who has already done the research? All i seem to find are points that charge you £ to use them? Pretty pointless given the small range we are able to achieve?

Thanks

Lee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:52 am 

Exactly. Best to use charging at home or at work, the cost is considerably lower. I don't know about the UK, but over here large stores, airports, garden centers, hotels, etc. sometimes offer free charging. The most exotic free charging point I found was on the ferry to Hoek van Holland.
On the Dutch Forum we have a list updated by members. If a UK member starts one here I'll stick it.
I agree that paid charging is often not worth the bother economically, unless it gains you a parking spot.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:21 am 

Picking up on Jaapv's pint, I have a Polar card. These cost £7.50 a month (after the first 6 months free0 but sometimes give you free parking. I use one in Coventry a lot, and it saves me £1 an hour pay and display, so I get the monthly fee back in 8 hours of parking (usually 2 days). Polar is part of the Chargemaster group and covers a lot of the country. The free parking only applies if you're able to find a charging point on the street. If the charging point is in a car park then you usually have to cough up the standard parking charge

about to upgrade to:
2015 GX4h Red - facelift
Still doing 20,000 miles a year

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 am 

Fecn wrote:
No - We can't use them I'm afraid. They don't have the right connector and they don't use the same charging protocol, and I think they recognise the Tesla owner when they get plugged in and check to see if they're enabled for supercharging. No way, no how I'm afraid.

Is this still true? I was at Luton Airport last night and all the EV charge points were unused but branded Tesla and had a connector not matching the PHEV. The operators told me that the Mitsu is the only EV car that CAN'T use them without a "Uniblock" adaptor which can be bought from Mitsu itself.

Anybody heard of this before? BTW the chargers would be free to use - although you are paying for the parking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:35 am 

greendwarf wrote:
Fecn wrote:

Is this still true? I was at Luton Airport last night and all the EV charge points were unused but branded Tesla and had a connector not matching the PHEV. The operators told me that the Mitsu is the only EV car that CAN'T use them without a "Uniblock" adaptor which can be bought from Mitsu itself.

Anybody heard of this before? BTW the chargers would be free to use - although you are paying for the parking.

I think it depends on what kind of Tesla charger you are talking about. The chargers in motorway service areas are rapid (as in 30 minutes) type chargers and I don't think the PHEV can use them. There are also Tesla fast chargers (as in a few hours) dotted around - the marina where we used to keep our boat had one - they are 16/32A AC chargers but use a different type of connector to that fitted on the PHEV. I am led to believe that you can buy or make up a connector that will allow you to plug the PHEV up to them, but I have never bothered to investigate further - I am rarely in one place away from home long enough to make it worthwhile plugging up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:10 pm 

Pretty sure they are fast chargers as the signage had an 8 hour maximum warning. A converter sounds promising as airport waits can be lengthy, the bays are nearest the footbridge to the terminus and the leccy is free - so even the odd hour now and then would be useful, plus you can annoy non-EV drivers :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 am 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/use-disc ... ika-goyal/

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 am 

Download and install Norton setup product key Sign In to Norton. If you do not have a Norton account, click Create an Account and complete the sign up process. In the Get Started window, click Enter a New Product Key. To enroll in Automatic Renewal Service for your Norton subscription.