EV Range

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdePHEV

I am new to this only been driving the outlander PHEV for two weeks. The main thing I have noticed is the 32 miles in pure electric mode is none existent. I normally charge it from flat and it always shows 21 - 23 miles when fully charged. When driving I am lucky if I get 16 - 18. I am also always in eco mode.

I don't have all the electrics only in fact I have become obsessed with switching everything off. Has anyone else had similar experience.

AdePHEV said:

I don't have all the electrics only in fact I have become obsessed with switching everything off. Has anyone else had similar experience.

Yes - 16 to 18 is the sort of figure that many of us get this time of year. You'll get closer to the 32 in the summer, but it is optimistic even then.

This morning after over-night top-up, predicted 25 miles.

I've just completed a round-trip of 17 miles thro' "the snow capped Sarf Lundun Alps" :lol: So, all EV at 30mph or below with lots of Regen opportunities. In theory, on a round trip these should all balance out but actually took a different route back and anyway varying traffic conditions mean sometimes you lose & sometimes you win ;) Predicated EV range now 10 miles, so appeared to a have "gained" 2. Current temp 13c.

On the face of it decent range and fairly accurate range prediction - but then I drive conservatively when in EV with a lot of coasting at B0. Driving styles & traffic conditions IMHO the biggest determinate of both predicted & actual EV range - so what else is new, this would apply to ICE driving, as well :idea:

greendwarf said:
Driving styles & traffic conditions IMHO the biggest determinate of both predicted & actual EV range - so what else is new, this would apply to ICE driving, as well :idea:

and driving context - EV range decreases significantly as your speed increases - 32 or anything like it is only really achievable cruising at relatively low speeds - when you get up to motorway speeds, the EV range decreases very substantially.

maby said:
AdePHEV said:

Yes - 16 to 18 is the sort of figure that many of us get this time of year. You'll get closer to the 32 in the summer, but it is optimistic even then.

What temperature are we talking about here?

If we say that the temperature is -5 Celcius and you drive avarage 50 km/h (31 mph), how far can you accepect to come with full battery?
Properly a big difference if the eletrical heater are on or not also?
Lets say the cabin is preheated before you start driving.

gordone said:
maby said:
AdePHEV said:

What temperature are we talking about here?

If we say that the temperature is -5 Celcius and you drive avarage 50 km/h (31 mph), how far can you accepect to come with full battery?
Properly a big difference if the eletrical heater are on or not also?
Lets say the cabin is preheated before you start driving.

At minus five and some 30mph, I would expect to get about 15 miles out of it. I always have the climate control on - I didn't pay £35000 for a car with no heater! But I don't think that the user of the heater makes as much difference to range as you might think. The maximum power drain off the heater is 4kw and it is on a thermostatic control, so this will drop was the car warms up. Even if you were going to achieve the 30 mile maximum EV range, you would run the battery flat in an hour or less. In that time, the heater running flat out could only consumer 4kwh - less than half the battery capacity. In practice, the thermostat would have cut the power consumption long before then.

I believe that the main factors limiting EV range in cold weather are the increased rolling resistance of cold tyres and the increased viscosity of cold air.

maby said:
I believe that the main factors limiting EV range in cold weather are the increased rolling resistance of cold tyres and the increased viscosity of cold air.
Personally, I think it is much more the combination of heater usage and reduced performance of the battery (from what I understand, when the battery is cold much more energy is lost during (dis)charging of the battery).

Wrt the heater: At 30 mph avg (which is for many people not that bad for an office commute), it takes an hour to discharge the battery (under ideal circumstances). If it was really cold and the heater would work at half capacity in average, it would consume 1/4th of the available battery charge in that period, reducing EV range by 25%. Don't forget, while waiting for a traffic light or a rail road crossing, the E-motors do not take any power. But the heater keeps going. The lower your average speed, the greater the effect.

Thank you for your replay, that means that I shall not have any problems drive to and from work each day all year around with only using battery.

I have read about the powerbox who make a pure electrical mode also, to avoid petrol motor to start... I was thinking maybe that is a nice thing to install when you normaly only using eletrical motors?

If you drive all the time in electric mode, like I do, the car will periodically over-rule you, and make you use the petrol engine.

"Engine started to maintain fuel system"

This mode remains on until you add another 20 litres (I think) of fuel to the fuel tank.

Of course, you can't do that unless there is space in the fuel tank, so if your tank is full, you have to drive around as a petrol car until you make sufficient space.

Far easier to just drive the car, an not give it too much thought. Let the engine run when it wants to, unless you want to engage "sneaky mode" to come home late at night. :)

I mostly use mine for the school run, there are two routes to get to the school, the school is about 3 miles away as the crow flies.

Route 1:
1 minute drive at 30mph, 4 minutes drive on motorway (circa 65mph), then 2 minutes drive at 30mph.

Route 2:
6 minutes drive at 30mph though average speed would be lower due to driving through narrow residential streets.

Assuming the ICE isn't activated during the journey:

• A round trip on Route 1 will leave 60% battery (ish)
  • Route 2 just removes a few lines from the battery meter

It's be nice to be able to drive at 30mph on the motorway :lol:

AndyInOz said:
If you drive all the time in electric mode, like I do, the car will periodically over-rule you, and make you use the petrol engine.

"Engine started to maintain fuel system"

This mode remains on until you add another 20 litres (I think) of fuel to the fuel tank.

Of course, you can't do that unless there is space in the fuel tank, so if your tank is full, you have to drive around as a petrol car until you make sufficient space.

Far easier to just drive the car, an not give it too much thought. Let the engine run when it wants to, unless you want to engage "sneaky mode" to come home late at night. :)

hehe I see :)

Have you tested or read about the powerbox and pur ECO mode ?
I see people report they save alot of fuel, by avoiding unnecessary startups ?

I've had my 2014 just over a week now, after full charge over night it will register 22-25 miles typically for EV but I've learnt this is just estimate. Today got 31 miles purely on battery driving between 30-40 mph with occasion short spirts up to around 48mph.

Regards

Very impressive, Archmoco, and reassuring that it's still possible on a 2-year-old vehicle. May I ask, do you live somewhere relatively flat, like Lincolnshire or Holland? I struggle to get more than 25 miles in the leafy Chilterns.

My 'Guessometer' seems to have lost all of its numbers above 24, and last night's charge in quite moderate temperatures got me only 23.

I'll have a longer than usual run on Friday with mostly flattish terrain so hope I actually achieve rather more than the estimate.

JimB

Me too, my 2016 model never shows anything above 24 / 25 miles on the guessometer but my 2015 (old shape) model regularly stated 32. Obviously not having both cars at the same timeI can't compare real mileage achieved. I wondered whether the new car range would show an increase with the warmer weather but it's only gone up a mile or two. Wonder if the software has been tweaked to be more realistic on the new version. I'm not overly concerned though....

ChrisMiller said:
Very impressive, Archmoco, and reassuring that it's still possible on a 2-year-old vehicle. May I ask, do you live somewhere relatively flat, like Lincolnshire or Holland? I struggle to get more than 25 miles in the leafy Chilterns.

I'm in Northern Ireland, yesterday was in and around Saintfield, comber and Belfast, a mix of minor roads and dual carriageway, a couple of hills but not too many.

I don't plan to make it regular but today with work I completed 190 miles, from Belfast up to Derry., Coleraine, Ballymena than back to Belfast. lowest mpg was 62 highest was mid 90's. Average trip worked out 68 mpg. Most was on motorway, and I completed 4 rapid charges, really just for the experience, and to check out the Charger locations. Here in N Ireland charging is still free, with the exception of IKEA. There are plenty of charging points on the journey up but bit thin on Derry to Coleraine stretch and utilised 'save' function

Claymore said:
My 'Guessometer' seems to have lost all of its numbers above 24, and last night's charge in quite moderate temperatures got me only 23.

I'll have a longer than usual run on Friday with mostly flattish terrain so hope I actually achieve rather more than the estimate.

JimB

I started the trip with only 23 miles range showing but achieved a couple more than that, then after another 75 miles or so on petrol had a rare charge using the supplied plug in charger.

Still only 23 miles range showing but managed the 70 mile return trip achieving 65mpg overall which I was quite pleased with.

Next charge on the home wall charger gave me 29 miles range which I also (just) exceeded.

Maybe I've been doing too many local trips. The 'guessometer' does make predictions based on previous usage and results but I'm increasingly suspicious that it actually also actively restricts the range you can get based on its predictions - I've noticed a lot recently that when the last mile ev range drops off the guessometer the engine immediately starts when you should have just under a mile left.

Now that I'm getting higher predicted range I'll have to pay more attention to that...I'm absolutely sure that I used to get the last mile before the ic kicked in.

The machines are trying to take over!

:shock:

JimB

Yep - I do quite long journeys on electric fumes only, once the guessometer hits zero - but have you had the AC on?

However, last week I was in Save with 5 miles EV and about 28 combined showing (low on petrol) when the latter suddenly went to zero, despite still running on the ICE with the 5 miles EV still showing. This continued for several miles until I refuelled. :?

Back