Cold ICE

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vs2

When my car sits for a day or two without the ICE been used and just battery I notice the dipstick level is about 23mm over fill. Dealer says this is normal through oil drain. This also tells me there is no recirculation of oil when just running on battery.

Point is that I have always warmed the engine on my cars before using maximum throttle. So if I have not used the ICE for a few days and I'm out running just on battery and find myself in the position of needing full acceleration, then the ICE will start and immediately go to maximum revs. Is this correct?

that annoys me as well. also the inside of the exhaust of this car is pretty black, oil consumption? i see it on all outlanders

Yoran said:
that annoys me as well. also the inside of the exhaust of this car is pretty black, oil consumption? i see it on all outlanders

Exhaust is usually black on engines running unleaded fuel.....

There are some differences in the 4B11 engine compared to the ones used in other cars, the bearings are resin coated, presumably to reduce friction before full oil pressure develops.

Yoran said:

Unlikely with a 12,000 miles service interval but you'll also get more carbon deposits with the cooler exhaust temps on the PHEV due to normal intermittent engine use.

The inside of the exhaust is black instead of grey because fuel contains no lead nowadays. I find oil consumption on the PHEV next to zero. If your exhaust has real carbon deposits that can be scraped off something is seriously wrong, but it would produce a fair amount of smoke in that case.

Still think they should take 5% from the 30% reserve on the battery and have a block heater and oil circulation.

Isnt the engine oil used to cool the front electric motor and generator? so, when your driving, the motor is warming the oil, even though the ICE is not running, so, when it does fire up, the oil is already circulating and warmish.?

ultralights said:
Isnt the engine oil used to cool the front electric motor and generator? so, when your driving, the motor is warming the oil, even though the ICE is not running, so, when it does fire up, the oil is already circulating and warmish.?

Would be nice to know exactly how it works. There is definitely an electric oil pump. If I leave home with a full battery and are going straight onto the motorway (3km) I force start the ICE by holding the charge button down for 10 seconds just to let everything circulate and for piece of mind.

vs2 said:
ultralights said:

Would be nice to know exactly how it works. There is definitely an electric oil pump. If I leave home with a full battery and are going straight onto the motorway (3km) I force start the ICE by holding the charge button down for 10 seconds just to let everything circulate and for piece of mind.

This sounds like a great procedure to use to get the ICE to work.

I do not yet own an Outlander PHEV but wonder what happens when the Heater or Air Conditioner is turned on. Will ICE up then or do these work strictly on Battery?

PHEV07 said:
[

I do not yet own an Outlander PHEV but wonder what happens when the Heater or Air Conditioner is turned on. Will ICE up then or do these work strictly on Battery?
the heater/ air con wil work on battery only if the temperature differential is small enough, i think its 15 or 20 deg C, im not sure. hopefully someone with more knowledge of the climate control will help

It depends; if the car has no electric heating it will run the ICE if heat is needed to reach the set temperature in the cabin, using the coolant like any standard hybrid.

If it has electric heating, it will use the ICE using both outside and inside temperature parameters to supplement the electric heating, in practice it comes down to only if outside temperature is below 10 degrees C. and only for the first few miles. As the temperature drops significantly below zero, the use of the ICE will increase. Using the preheat function will minimize or prevent the ICE startup. Leaving the car plugged can prevent E-range loss.

Today with cold weaher i noticed the car produces a pretty huge amount of whitegrey smoke on cold start wih all AC on. I think its way too much, like my old cars with blown gaskets.
Does anyone else have it?

It is most likely quite normal; modern cars do steam a bit more in cold weather, it has to do with cleaner exhaust fumes and higher exhaust temperatures. The amount of steam varies with air temperature, amount of moisture in the air, etc.

jaapv said:
It depends; if the car has no electric heating it will run the ICE if heat is needed to reach the set temperature in the cabin, using the coolant like any standard hybrid.

My Gx3h (no electric heater) is controlled by the same temperature gap. I have to "force" the ICE to start to provide heat (esp. for demisting) by increasing the cabin setting well above the 15.5 where I usually leave it, down here in Tropical Sarf Lundun. :mrgreen:

That is interesting. In well over 3 years of discussions on this same topic, here and in the Dutch forum, nobody ever mentioned this.to me this is very unexpected. A well, learn something new every day. :lol: :lol:

vs2 said:
ultralights said:

What is the significance of holding the button depressed for 10 seconds rather than just setting it on "charge"?

vs2 said:
Point is that I have always warmed the engine on my cars before using maximum throttle. So if I have not used the ICE for a few days and I'm out running just on battery and find myself in the position of needing full acceleration, then the ICE will start and immediately go to maximum revs. Is this correct?
Not to worry. The engine has been designed with this scenario in mind.

drdel said:
vs2 said:
ultralights said:

What is the significance of holding the button depressed for 10 seconds rather than just setting it on "charge"?

When the battery is full the ICE will not start using charge/save mode as the battery needs to run down a little 1st. This is a way to 'force' start the ICE.

Back