Opening the boot/tailgate/trunk with the engine running

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrow

Hello everyone

I have a MY2016 Phev Gx5hs in black. I chose it as a company car as it saves me £300 a month compared to my 520d. Overall I like it. OK its not as refined as a BMW but I've actually grown to quite like the more industrial feel of the Japanese interior. There are some annoying features and certain functions or processes I really cant understand the logic of. However I was wondering if I am missing something or not... it is possible to open the boot from inside the car without switching the engine off? It seems nuts that I cant have the car in neutral with the engine running and open the boot. Maybe there is a way and someone could share it?

Thanks

Surely you just press and hold the "open" button, don't you? That's how you do it on ours - which is, admittedly, a couple of years older/

darrow said:
Hello everyone

I have a MY2016 Phev Gx5hs in black. I chose it as a company car as it saves me £300 a month compared to my 520d. Overall I like it. OK its not as refined as a BMW but I've actually grown to quite like the more industrial feel of the Japanese interior. There are some annoying features and certain functions or processes I really cant understand the logic of. However I was wondering if I am missing something or not... it is possible to open the boot from inside the car without switching the engine off? It seems nuts that I cant have the car in neutral with the engine running and open the boot. Maybe there is a way and someone could share it?

Thanks

You need to press and hold the button on the lower dashboard, to the right of the steering wheel. This will work if the engine is running (or the EV system is in Ready mode) but only if the gear selector is in ‘Park’, you cant open it remotely if it is still in ‘Drive’.

There is also a button in the lower part of the centre console which turns on and off the ability to operate the electric tailgate release, so you need to make sure that this is in the ‘on’ position.

maby said:
Surely you just press and hold the "open" button, don't you? That's how you do it on ours - which is, admittedly, a couple of years older/

..you would think so wouldn't you..

geoffshep69 said:
darrow said:
Hello everyone

Thanks

You need to press and hold the button on the lower dashboard, to the right of the steering wheel. This will work if the engine is running (or the EV system is in Ready mode) but only if the gear selector is in ‘Park’, you cant open it remotely if it is still in ‘Drive’.

There is also a button in the lower part of the centre console which turns on and off the ability to operate the electric tailgate release, so you need to make sure that this is in the ‘on’ position.

Thank you, I will check the button is in the 'on' position

Gilbo said:
i would have thought that the car would need to be in "park" for this to work, Ill try it out later..

It does have to be in Park, thats what I said in my post up above.

If you try to do it while its not it Park it just beeps at you.

Back