UK TV ad (2017)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMiller

For those who haven't seen it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0pNVxXcguk

My only question: what were they smoking when they created this?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Smoking crack.

For goodness sake Mitsubishi, explain what a Plugin-Hybrid is!

Oh my god kaffir, what's with that strange eccent?

That has to be the dumbest commercial I have ever seen.

AndyInOz said:
That has to be the dumbest commercial I have ever seen.
It's actually fairly typical of a certain post-modern type of commercial that we get in the UK. Very expensive, high production values, but no real reference to the product being sold.

They win lots of marketing awards, but you ask people "Remember that ad with the mermaid and the centaur, what was it advertising?"; and they reply "I can't remember, toothpaste?"

I see (I think)...

And the clowns who made the commercial will consider it a "win", that we're talking about how crap it is.

Watched Suicide Squad last night.

Advert reminded me of the film.

My review:

Advert:
Rating: 0 out of 5 stars
Summary: No plot. No idea what is going on. Nothing to do with the brand. My 6 year old could have done a better job.

Suicide Squad:
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Summary: No plot. Understood what is going on. Could have done with more Joker and more Harley Quinn to get that final star as film seems truncated.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think this ad is similar to the EV1 ad talked about in "who killed the electric car", the brief for those EV1 ads I believe was to show as little as possible about the car.
The PHEV ad agency thinks there is nothing interesting about the PHEV and customers are just buying it to avoid tax, which is possibly right for the vast majority of UK & Netherlands PHEV owners?

stripey said:
Never mind, I loved it!
I can appreciate it as a piece of film-making; I just wonder how many additional PHEVs it will cause to be sold. As John Wanamaker (1838-1922, the department store magnate, not the film-maker) observed: “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don't know which half.”

SolarBoy said:
I suppose the advert got us talking about it ... job done.

True, but only cos we already own Outlanders and saw it posted on here.

Lets be honest, the advert is utter garbage and the vast majority of people will be of the same opinion. But then the vast majority of the public are not arty farty types with marketing degrees who get paid to come up with this nonsense.

And yes, even terrible adverts can be deemed to be in some way successful if they raise brand awareness, but I'm not sure that everyone talking about a brand's advert and saying how bad it is can be a good thing. For me it works the other way, if I see a dreadful advert that annoys me, then I'd actively go out of my way to avoid using or buying the product being advertised.

This advert doesn't work for me, and to be honest most people who are in the market for an EV will already know about the Outlander. I bought mine whilst looking for a petrol, automatic SUV and even though I was aware of the PHEV from previous adverts (the one stating the 148mpg - which just made me think it would be one of those unachievable manufacturers figures) I only really looked at the Mitsubishi because they were on the same forecourt as an X-trail that I had gone to look at.
I have to admit that the battery reliability and longevity caused me to really consider the viability of this type of vehicle but the 5 year warranty was what made my mind up to buy and now that the batteries have an 8 year warranty this is something that they should be shouting about in their ads.

geoffshep69 said:
I'm not sure that everyone talking about a brand's advert and saying how bad it is can be a good thing.
The problem to me is that there's absolutely no association between the advert and the brand. The advert might stick in your mind, but in 6 months no-one will remember whether it was for a car, a beer or a toothpaste.

A better ad would show the product being used on the school run or to work and back with reference to do less than XX miles in one trip then no petrol used.

Maybe I'll get my 6 year old to write the script, my 8 year old to film it on his camcorder, and my 10 year old to upload it to his YouTube account.

But the motor car is not a utility product - it is a fantasy on wheels, so this sort of advert suits it :roll:

ChrisMiller said:
geoffshep69 said:
I'm not sure that everyone talking about a brand's advert and saying how bad it is can be a good thing.
The problem to me is that there's absolutely no association between the advert and the brand. The advert might stick in your mind, but in 6 months no-one will remember whether it was for a car, a beer or a toothpaste.
But your subconscious mind might do this for you. ;)

Sort of "off topic" but a sign of the times? - and progress!

Just watched a TV advert for a used car search app "cinch" which features as the desired car a PHEV :D

Back