Water depth

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianr

Just wondered if anyone knew what the maxwmater depth is safe for the PHEV ?

We've had a few flash floods here and the stupidity of some made me wonder, in EV mode, what's safe ?

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/gallery/roads-submerged-cars-stranded-gloucester-239533

Lance said:
The wading depth is 40cm I believe.

That sounds about right. It is certainly no LandRover - I have sat in my old Defender with the water approaching my knees and still moving!

Not sure about that. Stalling the car in midstream will leave an ICE car stranded and unable to start. An EV vehicle will pull through - as long as it is not shorted out ;).

jaapv said:
Not sure about that. Stalling the car in midstream will leave an ICE car stranded and unable to start. An EV vehicle will pull through - as long as it is not shorted out ;).

Hmmm, I would expect that driving in EV mode through water deep enough to stop the PHEV ICE starting while it was in the water would also leave it inoperable once you got out on the other side! To inhibit the engine, it needs to get the water level up to the ignition components or into the air intake - and either of those will also leave it difficult, if not impossible, to start once the water level has fallen on the other side.

maby said:
jaapv said:

Hmmm, I would expect that driving in EV mode through water deep enough to stop the PHEV ICE starting while it was in the water would also leave it inoperable once you got out on the other side! To inhibit the engine, it needs to get the water level up to the ignition components or into the air intake - and either of those will also leave it difficult, if not impossible, to start once the water level has fallen on the other side.

Sure - but at least you can drive on and keep your feet dry (assumung the door seals hold ;) )and hopefully reach your garage to sort the ICE.

Regulo said:
If one of you will lend me your car . . . I will!!!! :twisted:
Yeah no problem, call round anytime, my name and address are:
Gavin U. Nuffin
The unicorn farm, Little Phevington Drive, Sodoffshire :shock:

Back