Damaged Type 2 to Type 1 charging cable

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogfather

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with there charging cable?

Ive had my Mitzy PHEV for around 4 months and love every time i go out in it.
Last week whilst out i decided to charge the car before my return trip. I was at a Type 2 charger so I was using my Type 2 to Type 1 charging cable that purchased when I brought the car. After connecting everything up I noticed the car wasn't charging even though the charger was working. Upon closer inspection I noticed in my charging cable type 2 socket one of the pins had been pushed all the way back into the handle. I immediately thought it was spring loaded and had got stuck but no luck, I even tried getting some pliers in there to pull it out but the hold is to small.

I have sent an email to the company asking them for there advice as its still under warranty before i take it apart and try and fix it.

I would be interested to find out if other people have had the same problem and is it a common fault?

Yes I have had the same problem and took apart both connectors. I also initially thought that the pushed in pin is indeed "pushed in". That is however not the case, it shall look like that. The long pin shall connect first to the charger and the shorter later when you push in the connector. The long pin is not used in my cable on the charger end, only in the car end where it changes impedance (to earth) when you push the small "handle" on the connector. The short pin is where the car signals to the charger that it is connected and also the current (amps) capability of the car. Turned out that the small area signalling cable was broken somwhere along the cable, but as the other signalling cable was not used I resoldered to that one and was happy for half a year until this morning. Now that cable is also broken so sending everything back to the vendor.

Steepndeep said:
Yes I have had the same problem and took apart both connectors. I also initially thought that the pushed in pin is indeed "pushed in". That is however not the case, it shall look like that. The long pin shall connect first to the charger and the shorter later when you push in the connector. The long pin is not used in my cable on the charger end, only in the car end where it changes impedance (to earth) when you push the small "handle" on the connector. The short pin is where the car signals to the charger that it is connected and also the current (amps) capability of the car. Turned out that the small area signalling cable was broken somwhere along the cable, but as the other signalling cable was not used I resoldered to that one and was happy for half a year until this morning. Now that cable is also broken so sending everything back to the vendor.

Thanks Steepdeeep,
The cable is still under warranty and I've contacted the vendor first for a replacement before taking it apart. I wouldn't mind i haven't been forceful with it...

Had the same problem with my type2 to type 1. Thought my Chargemaster wall unit had failed but had very good advice from their Technical Dept. tried the cable on another unit with the same failure.
The cable was bought from ebay and had failed after 6 months ,decided it was not worth the hassle chasing the supplier.
Got a new one from EVCables . No problem so far.
Had the same problem with my 13amp charger supplied with the car. This also failed after 5 months. Dealer suggested I had mistreated this but eventually replaced it.
These connectors obviously have to be treated with kid gloves. :!:

Big John

GX3+
MY16
Orient Red
Named "Sparky"

Back