New car

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kejame

Hi, I am just awaiting the arrival of my first Mitsubishi Phev (gx4h may 2015 s/h. 25k miles) part ex my Honda CR-V (2013 modal bought from new). My Honda was the Petrol model which over last year has averaged 31.4 mpg.
Would appreciate feedback on a few questions please,
Majority of my journeys are below 20 miles with a 500 mile round trip to visit family around 4 times a year.
On these long journeys what is the most efficient way to use the save/charge modes, not sure yet if recharging will be convenient at the other end of my journey (250 miles).
Also wondering if a home charging point is really necessary as I have an out side plug and we are retired so charging time not really a problem.
I am quite technologically savvy so any thoughts that may help on my new adventure will be really appreciated

Don't bother with a charging point if you have an external socket - I am a similar pattern of use. On longer journeys I use battery for slower parts and then Save when at speed. NB. Even with the electric heater in the Gx4, once the battery is used up or Saved consumption is likely to be around 25mpg in winter to keep cabin temp up.

Thanks greendrawf just wondering if you are in the UK, mpg seems a little low at 25mpg comparing to all UK reviews .
Thanks for your advice on outside charging, my thoughts exactly.

I have never seen consumption as low as 25, even for a long journey on a coldish day. Maybe if you are in very hilly terrain.

You should plan where to best use your electric miles. That plan depends a bit on why you chose a PHEV. IF you are going to drive through a built-up area then it would be nice to do that on electricity to reduce urban pollution. In terms of getting the most miles, it's best to use them when travelling at a steady lowish speed, 30 to 40mph, as the aerodynamics dictate that at motorway speeds you're going to get through that charge much faster. I tend to select Save as soon as I am on the open road. If I encounter any long traffic queues, or urban sections, then I turn off Save for those. Motorway jams are terrible for fuel consumption in ICE cars and using a few electric miles up there is a big win, makes it less unpleasant too. If I am nearly at the end of the journey then I turn off Save when the remaining distance equals the remaining battery, i.e. aim to get home with no charge remaining.

Steve

I’ve had 25.... Towing :)

I always think of the battery as free power so, on average I can get 35-37 mpg normal driving on a motorway. So with 25 miles of additional then we’re into the 60’s. Man maths I know but it averages out. I’d say on mixed normal usage we average or are averaging 50 mpg over 10,000 miles

Kejame said:
Thanks greendrawf just wondering if you are in the UK, mpg seems a little low at 25mpg comparing to all UK reviews .
Thanks for your advice on outside charging, my thoughts exactly.

Our PHEV (southern UK) is effectively used as a petrol car - most journeys far beyond the EV range. Over 3 years and close to 40,000 miles, we have a lifetime average of just over 40mpg. Cold weather averages will be quite a lot less - as is the case for all cars - but warm weather averages will be in the region of 45mpg, so the two balance out to approx 40mpg.

The 25mpg I quoted is driving around London over the last few days with the heater on 25c. My Gx3h uses no battery while doing this and in fact has gone up slightly. I have had consumption as low as 12mpg when the enforced burning of petrol mode kicked in - without using the heater - just driving in London. :lol:

At 25mpg I'd recommend getting your brakes checked.

You may have a brake that's sticking on one of the back wheels.

No don't think there is any problem with the brakes. With the heater set to 25c the engine runs continuously in cold weather <7c even when sitting stationary (of which you do a lot in London traffic :lol: ). When do a longer journey (with less stationary periods) the consumption gradually moved up to a more acceptable 35mpg and, of course, as the external temp rises >7c then there are periods with no ICE so consumption improves again by use of the battery.

The point I was originally making was that if you use the ICE to provide heating (either because you have a Gx3h or you have run out of battery) then petrol consumption can be poor depending on traffic and external & internal temp.

Back