Realistic range?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdickinson

I know, I tried search it said it was too common!

A 2014 car new to me I got 41kms ( 25 miles) of flat gentle city driving with no AC - on a warm (25c) day . I've got a (compatible) obdII dongle heading my way to check on details but

Just want to check that this is roughly ok? was hoping for 46!

Yes, this is about average for full charge to flat.

Maybe if you get clever with the paddles, you can get more, but is it worth it?

I guess you may be beginning to see some battery degradation. Ours is a 2014 model and when I tested it a few weeks from new, I managed almost 30 miles under the conditions you describe. I have no idea what the current range is - I'm not willing to drive like that in normal usage. I'm pretty happy to see an EV range of 24 miles in the summer and not too surprised to see it drop to 16 miles in the winter.

Maybe that’s why the Outlander PHEV is only rated for 22 miles of EV range in the USA. I guess that should at least keep people from being disappointed.

generaltso said:
Maybe that’s why the Outlander PHEV is only rated for 22 miles of EV range in the USA. I guess that should at least keep people from being disappointed.

You may well be right - when Mitsubishi launched the PHEV in Europe with claims of 32 miles EV range and fuel consumption in the region of 180 mpg, they did get hit with quite a few complaints and I think they were actually forced to take the car back with a refund in some cases. They seem to be a bit more reserved in their claims these days.

maby said:
generaltso said:

You may well be right - when Mitsubishi launched the PHEV in Europe with claims of 32 miles EV range and fuel consumption in the region of 180 mpg, they did get hit with quite a few complaints and I think they were actually forced to take the car back with a refund in some cases. They seem to be a bit more reserved in their claims these days.
I don't think the lower rating has anything to do with complaints, but to whatever test cycles they MUST use in various markets. For Europe (at least continental Europe), it used to be the NEDC cycle, which is known to over estimate range for any car. It is my understanding that Europe is in the process of standardising on a different, more realistic test cycle. I believe the US have done that a while back. Aren't they using EPA?

In the US, the range of an Chevrolet EV Bolt is rated at 283 miles (383 km). The European Opel Ampera, which is (apart from badges and color schemes) the same car, is rated at 525 km or 323 miles according to NEDC. Nothing to do with lying or being dishonest, so no need to refund anything, IMHO. It is just that the government tells them to use NEDC. On a positive note, Opel does communicate the 520 km NEDC rating, but they also communicate a realistic range of 380 km for the Ampera.

anko said:
I believe the US have done that a while back. Aren't they using EPA?

Yes, the EPA used to be a lot less stringent with their allowable testing methods, but the requirements were changed a few years back when some car companies were found to be grossly overestimating fuel economy. Now the EPA ratings for all cars is a lot more accurate than it used to be. For what it’s worth, the EPA rates the Outlander PHEV at 22 miles of EV range and just 25mpg when using gasoline only (US gallons of course).

Thanks was just wanting to confirm if it was reasonable.

Another 5kwh would have been perfect

And yeah in Europe they have to quote the official figures and the test is barking, pretty useless but the manufacturer has no choice, so they all design vehicles to do the test well...

anko said:
generaltso said:
... and just 25mpg when using gasoline only (US gallons of course).
That would be 9.41 l/100 km (or 10.63 km/l). Now, thát is a little bit over the top. I can almost do that while towing :lol:

Well, I’m certainly hoping that number is very conservative considering the non-PHEV Outlander is rated at 27mpg.

Got to love that Watchdog app. I am waiting for my bluetooth Obd adaptor.

Looks like 17 of the 80 cells are at less than 1/4 lower votage of the others. That could account for close to 20% reduction in your range.

Wonder if the Mitsubishi Dealer could try leveling the cells.

Be nice if there was a way for us to try to level the cells ourselves in the future.

For now, I wonder if you have a ChadeMo Port? If yes, perhaps try charging with very high Current to see if it may help to Level out the low reading cells and bring them up to the same level as the higher voltage cells.

I found this Post on this Forum

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13906#p13906

So basically there are 8 cells per Module and 10 Modules giving the Drive Battery a Total Operating voltage of 300VDC

What I have not found yet is which Cells Are connected to which Modules. The Battery Pack does Auto Leveling so I am wondering why the Cell in Red are so Low unless they are all within the same Module.

robdickinson said:
So now I have some detailed battery info... Looks OK?

It is not looking good to me.

Cell #19 is looking to have way less capacity then all the other cells.

Would be interesting to check what is the voltage of this cell when EV range is close to zero ... I expect it can be scary low

You may have a point on asking Mitsubishi to replace this battery ... I expect this single cell can cause you a very low EV range or it can fail due to overdischarge

PS: My PHEV which is a Nov 2013 with 135.000km ... does never show more then 0.02v difference .. normally the difference should be just 0.005v

robdickinson said:
is 0.05v so much difference?

Yes it is. Look at the cell voltage graphs. A new and healthy battry would have all cells in the Blue range when battery is fully charged. A partial charge would have cells in the upper green area.

All cells in red are not holding as good a charge ss others. The lower green ones are holding a bit of a charge. From voltages you posted your Battery is not too healthy.

As was suggested. Drive around till the battery shows 2 or 3 bars and take a sbsp shot of the cells do we can compare the values.

robdickinson said:
2 or 3 bars? i dont have mmcs what does that mean?

What yr and model PHEv do you have? Do you not have a screen on your dash or on led didplay that indicates how much of the battery level you have?

Drive until you have about 5 miles range left and use the watch dog to get a snapshut as before.

Back