Retrofiting MMCS

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micropilot999

Hi All,
New member Kev here in Lincoln UK. New Phev owner 2015 GX3h. Having looked at different models for sale i went for this as the difference for the model with the MMCS and sunroof etc was a massive cash jump. Anyway that aside i wondered how difficult it would be to have the MMCS fitted, i know it will be expensive. Im wondering if the wiring is already there, i suspect it would be and i also see that i have reverse park sensors fitted to the car but these arent a working feature. If anyone had been down this route i would be grateful to hear from you and what features i can have. I mainly want the sat nav but even a second hand unit is rather expensive.

Also only had it a few days and not really studied the driving techniques that much however using eco mode doing a local journey round town i was disappointed to see how much the ICE kept coming on (when fully charged) for the first 2 or 3 journeys and getting only 45 mpg and getting home with 48 percent EV. yet today after a similar route i got home and had 122 mpg and 75 percent ev. Maybe the car is working out the driving style. i dont expect anything like 122 however i do expect a tad more than 45 mpg when driving round town. only had it a few days so learning

Thanks in advance.

Kev

As a 2014 Gx3h owner myself - you have to remember that you do not have the electric heater, so yes, it will run the ICE in cold weather to keep you warm. So either you have it OFF or set the temp to minimum of 15c if you want to use the aircon to clear the screen. Either way put a coat, scarf & gloves on :lol:

However, the reversing sensors are a standard feature so should beep for you when backing up. Perhaps you need to go back to the seller on this.

Hi Green Dwarf,

Thanks for the reply, i didint realise i dont have the electric heaters and i wrongly assumed the car had the wifi app. The reverse sensors do work i noticed today. Thanks for the info

Kev

I believe you can retrofit it easily enough.

If you look on Mitsubishi UK website, under accessories, they offer the new headunit as an upgrade. It used to be MMCS, but it's now the carplay one, with sat-nav too. So actually quite a decent sytem.

It's about £1200 fully fitted inc. vat by the dealer.

You still won't have the electric pre-heater though and no wifi module to communicate with the car, but everything else should work.

Thanks Steviie B

I havent turned the heating off as its been really cold this week. Im still discovering the PHEV. Even once the car warms up it the ICE comes on really often. typically the EV percentage is about 48 percent which is annoying as a 30 mile local journey is only using around 10 electric miles and hence im getting home with loads of electric miles unused and averaging 40 mpg. Im back on to have another look on the form to see what others say. I got the car checked over and its fine the only issue is i get a EV service warning which the main dealer has said it is down to the face that one tyre had been replaced and is not the same tread as the others. The advice was all tyres are advised to be the same tread depth.

Re the MMCS my research suggests that as i cant have the preheat functions etc i can fit any double Din stereo satnav and the looms and fascia is available as standard.

Regards
Kev

I understand that there is a Pioneer unit that works quite well. Some owners have replaced their MMCS unit by it for the better SatNav and user interface.

I've only had my 2018 PHEV for a week, but a few tips:

If you want to get home with a depleted battery, be sure to enable EV mode when your distance home is still a bit more than your indicated electric range - if not sooner. (If your model year has the EV button) And if you use that ECO button, that will reduce the power consumption of the heater and somewhat limit the throttle in electric mode to keep the engine off.

You only seem to get 60kw from the batteries - so watch the gauges and try not to use enough throttle to go over 60kw - or the engine will kick in regardless of settings. Seems to stay on for 4 or 5 minutes even if you are light on the throttle - sometimes when that happens I pull over - stop/start the car and press EV again to get that engine to shut off. (Yeah I'm a new owner so pay too much attention to this stuff)

EV service warning due to tires? Does not sound right. If the EV system thinks it has a problem it reduces electric power and relies on the ICE more. Be sure that gets checked by someone who knows what they are doing. I have heard of mismatched tires affecting the traction control system, but not the EV systems, but maybe it's making the differential act strange?

My commute is usually just 10 miles, but 2 days a week it's 120 miles, so some days my mileage is shown as 0 or -- and some days it's just 29 mpg. Lots of hills out here in Maryland and West Virginia with several 500-1000 ft up / down stretches while going 75mph, so that is not great on mileage even with aggressive setting on the regenerative braking. And at the end of the long commute I've gained about 2000 feet in elevation overall. I tend to use B3 on freeways and B4 or B5 on winding roads which seems to help.

Back