Petrol and charging flaps popping open when driving

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CC3

Hi,

I have had my PHEV Outlander for 2.5 years (had previous diesel one which I loved!). It has a recurring problem where both the fuel and charging flaps pop open whilst driving.

The spring on the charging flap also fell out months ago and despite being out back in again, falls out continuously. The flap then doesn’t open easily and has damaged the surrounding paintwork.

I took it to the Mitsubishi dealership in Galashiels in the Scottish Borders but they say they can’t find a fault and have not experienced this problem before so they can’t do it under the warranty. They are quoting £600 + per to fix it, so a huge amount. If it was £100 I would just pay for it as it takes a 4 hour round trip for me to take my car there. However, it’s such a large amount of money, and looking on the forum it seems like others have experienced the same problems, I wondered if anyone else had managed to get it resolved with Mitsubishi?

Thanks

I've had my PHEV for almost 12 months, and the charging flap was always popping open. In the end after much fiddling I just wrapped the metal tab on the flap which grips onto the grey latch with some fabric tape, and bent it slightly towards the latch so as to give it more grip. Voila, it no longer pops open. Incidentally I also noted it at the 15K service, and my dealer also claimed it was operating fine.

Back