New Deal Between Mitsubishi and Google

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suchdra

Hi, I am new to this forum and had a doubt that needs to be cleared. I own a Mitsubishi Outlander and I was thinking if the new deal between Google and Mitsubishi regarding the Android auto will also affect the 2017 models. The only complaint I have with my Outlander is the infotainment system that seems to be buggy compared to the Endeavour I own. NOw that Mitsubishi and Google have joined hands to work on Android auto directly by google, I think the old Outlander owners will be missed out. If i am not making any sense, I am talking about this news:

Google is all set to partner with Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi as it plans to place the Android infotainment systems into a number of cars. Google, as well as Renault, the world’s largest auto alliance, confirmed the news to the Wall Street Journal.

As per the news, the next generation infotainment system and the new dashboard displays will start using Android and these are expected to be launched in the year 2020.

The new age infotainment systems will be quite helpful to the drivers, say the experts. Drivers will now be able to access features like app store, detailed Google maps and will also be able to take help with from the Google’s voice assistant. All of these tasks can be performed from the dashboards of their vehicles.

Source:: https://telecompress.com/google-android-auto-renault-nissan-mitsubishi-cars/

The question is, will the 2018 - 2017 Outlander owners be able to retrofit the new Infotainment system? It would be great if Mitsubishi listens to the customers and makes it possible to retrofit the new infotainment system when it comes out. I have spoken to my Outlander dealer and they don't seem to have any info on this, so I thought the online community might have some news on the same.

A retrofit is rather unlikely. I must admit to being wary of Google and their motives and most certainly not an Android fan, though. In fact, I would not buy a car that forced me to use an Android-based system.

jaapv said:
A retrofit is rather unlikely. I must admit to being wary of Google and their motives and most certainly not an Android fan, though. In fact, I would not buy a car that forced me to use an Android-based system.

I join your considerations.
I have not installed Android Auto as I do not want to share all my car's data with the big data company.
Why should I tell them where i drive, how i drive, etc... ?
For the next negotiation round with my insurance company?
For automated delivery of speeding and parking tickets?

A retrofit might be possible if it's software. Google would be keen to gain as big a market as possible.
I trust Apple (a little) more than Google. If they don't gain revenue from you directly, they'll need to do so in some other way to recover their investment.
I'm happy to pay for maps, rather than be the subject of advertisements or data mining.

One of the companies in the previous post uses your phone to capture location and sound data regularly, which it then sends back to the company, and one doesn't. The former company will do exactly the same with the information in your car.

And then one company went to court to fight for the security of their phones when the FBI wanted to hack it. And the other one is sharing information with the Chinese government and censoring information so that they will be accepted.

Actually I trust Apple a huge amount more than Google.

I have a 2018 and use Android auto. I'm not worried about the data sent for using the maps since it's mixed with so many others' data.

The number one snoop is the cell phone. That's the device to toss if one desires privacy.

Android auto (and the Apple equivalent) are almost entirely delivered using your cell phone. The car is just providing a larger and more easily accessible display.

AndyH said:
I have a 2018 and use Android auto. I'm not worried about the data sent for using the maps since it's mixed with so many others' data.

The number one snoop is the cell phone. That's the device to toss if one desires privacy.
Your phone will send a unique identifier whenever data is sent to google, so they can (and do!) store your location all the time. Just go into google or facebook and look at your location history. On Android, it's continuous: on iOS, it's non-existent.

Apple stores nothing that they can access, and will only allow other apps to collect your location data if you specifically give them permission. I've no idea about Windows phones (does anyone use them still?), but I'm afraid the real snoops are Android phones in particular.

Back