UK Government to change Green Allowance from 9th November

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinBattle

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45831150

I really don't understand our politicians.
No sooner do they introduce an incentive than they start chipping them away.

When I bought my house 8 years ago, the roof was ideal for solar panels.
Started looking at costs and suddenly the Feed in tariff changed making it less economical to pay for installing them.

Now, I've started looking at a PHEV model for next year and they go and reduce the payments.
I was already questioning why i should pay much more for a PHEV than conventional, as I'd save more than a years fuel by not going green, now this makes buying a PHEV even less sense.

Would someone please administer a jolly large boot up the political jacksie?
It needs a BIGGER grant to make it an incentive, not smaller!

I have recently noticed many more older PHEVs in London recently - presumably ex-company cars. No doubt the ULEZ due to come in next year (in addition to the Congestion Charge) is fuelling demand but clearly the govt subsidy has achieved its aim of kick-starting the market. Why should taxpayers (you and I) continue to subsidise certain car manufacturers and/or buyers over others.

If the maths no longer works for you then don't buy one - simples! :mrgreen:

greendwarf said:
Why should taxpayers (you and I) continue to subsidise certain car manufacturers and/or buyers over others.
:mrgreen:

Because the government needs to reduce air pollution and address climate change. If some buyers and manufacturers are trying to help through their purchase and manufacturing decisions then they deserve support and encouragement.

rgilyead said:
Because the government needs to reduce air pollution and address climate change
If we want to address pollution and climate change, all economists agree (and they don't agree on much) that a tax on emissions is the most effective and efficient method of doing so. Fuel taxes for road vehicles are already hugely in excess of any conceivable external costs caused by CO2/pollution. Playing favourites (usually those who can afford the biggest lobbying effort) through subsidies simply distorts the market to no good effect.

keeping my PHEV... been saving me £ 2800 on fuel when compared to my E class Merc.
it's now 3 years old... had it 6 months old as ex demo. bought for £27000. Very happy so far. £.135 to charge every day... charging it near work with Charge master in ASDA.
Very happy....

Back