Newbie question, please be kind!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigelDunn

Hello everybody, We've had our Phev for a few months now and I'm still getting to grips with the best way to use the various options regarding electric and engine. We mainly use it for short journeys and charge overnight via an ordinary plug on Economy 7.

There are two issues I'd value some advice on. Firstly, following a charge the estimated range has dropped from 30 miles to 26. An obvious question maybe, but would this indicate battery degradation or is it just a glitch?

Following on from that, will it harm battery life if I top it up between main charges?

I have searched the forum, but have just ended up getting confused! Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers Nigel

The drop in range is very likely to be due to the fact that the EV range drops significantly in cold weather. Assuming you bought it in the spring, you will unfortunately get less range when it's cold....
Regarding topping up, I think it's true to say that if you want to run the car for 10 years or more, the best thing to do is not to top up too frequently, and probably not to rapid charge too often. The battery prefers to be kept in the middle of its range, although I generally charge it pretty often (sometimes twice a day) to full, and I've seen relatively little degradation after 4.25 years.
Better still (for the battery), don't live in a hot climate!
HTH

As you've probably read on here, the estimated range is just that - a guess at what range you might expect, with regard to how you last drove it. If you belted it around previously, the estimate will be low, but if you then drive it like a milk float, that estimate will obviously be wrong. And vice versa. Colder weather does impact on range, especially if you use the heater (assuming you have the electric heater option). I'm seeing 24 on the Guessometer presently, and can achieve that, with a 4 year old car, charged from empty to full overnight, practically every day. I'm happy.

Agree with that reply.
Our pattern may be similar to he OP, overnight charge at cheap rate and that generally gets us through the day. I'll recharge during the day if I know I'm going to need more. Not seen much change in guessometer values in two and bit years. The mantra in the UK FB group is ABC - always be charging !
And yes it's quite temperature sensitive, expect to see some low numbers in mid winter, plus you'll probably be using some power for heating too which further eats into range. Preheat really helps with this.

When it comes to batteries, Nigel, I think there’s a lot of opinion bounded around and repeated so much that it often becomes presented as fact. I cannot answer the questions you raise with any authority but agree with the above posts. I believe that, rather than keep a Lithium cell in a fully charged state, it’s better to leave them at around 75% SoC. In regular use, however, the need to consider that should not apply. I also think it slightly better to exercise them fully when possible. I’d like to think that the BMS supplied by Mitsubishi will take care of the batteries as much as it can for you. I’d recharge fully just before the next outing, if I knew when that was going to be, or immediately after the last run when taken below 40%.
I’m hoping to get mine shortly, so may have more to say from experience later.

Hey everyone,
I have bought a second hand PHEV, it had only 10 symbols for the app, I got it serviced in Mitsubishi Dealer and got new pasword for the app, but now it is 14 symbols, and none of them connects to the app, PHEV app or PHEV 1 app. has anyone had this issue or heard anything about it. please

Back