Stuck charger plug

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debaussan

I am new to the PHEV outlander. To charge faster at home I just Bought a Mustart 240V charger from Amazon. First time use gave great results. Car charged pretty rapidly. However. the plug would not come out even though it said Charge complete on the dash board. After a lot of fiddling it did come out. Replugged it to test, same thing happened. Not sure if cable is defective or if I am missing something. I thought one cold pull the plug at any time. Plan to talk to dealer today. Also is there a place where one can release the plug from the controls?
Any advice would be Much appreciated. Thanks.

I think you just have a sticky plug. I suspect that the tolerance on the size is bit off. I have one (different name) with the same problem. I sprayed a SMALL amount of silicon spray on the plug sides and it works much better.

The dealer will tell you that you need to get the genuine Mitsubishi cable at 3 or 4x the cost.

Same happened to me with a new charger cable.
I had to wiggle and pull quite hard to get it out.
It's still a bit sticky but better now.

Be careful with your choice of lubricants in situations like this! I had something similar happen with the shore power connection on our boat. I rummaged around in the tool box, found a can of something slippery and gave the plug a good squirt. I popped it into the socket - easy! I pulled it out again - easy! I turned on the power - nothing! Then I read the small print on the can and saw the words "excellent electrical insulator"... It took me ages with a variety of solvents to get the power flowing again.....

I've had similar issues with very close fits on the same sort of plastic on various plugs, sockets and caps. Generally the most reliable solution is to use wrap some fine sandpaper round the plug and rotate it a bit to shave half a mm or so off. On some mouldings the plastic can swell if exposed to some solvents (eg petrol), which can make things worse.

I once spent 20 minutes at a petrol station failing to remove the LPG filler cap as it was such a tight fit and there was no way to properly grab it to give it a good pull. Ended up using mole grips when I got home.

mellobob said:
I think you just have a sticky plug. I suspect that the tolerance on the size is bit off. I have one (different name) with the same problem.

I'm in the same boat. Slowly but surely it's getting better.
Though now with the cold it's getting more frustrating, as I want to get quickly in the nicely preheated car ! ⛄
Might look into some spray...

Back