Charging Question

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KA56HAR

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum and should be taking delivery of my Outlander in the next 3 months. I wanted to ask, in your experience, what are the majority of the cables you need externally (is shopping centres, supermarkets etc). Are they standard three pin or the fast charge type?

I'm going to leave the one supplied always plugged in at home and thinking about buying another for the car. But not sure which to go for.....

Any help/ advice would be appreciated.

Happy holidays

That depends on where you are; Europe, N.America, Britain, Australia? Here on the west coast of Canada, you don't need to carry any cables, as the vast majority of public chargers are equipped with either J-1772 or CHAdeMO plugs, or both. There are a few free locations that have a standard 3 pin N.Americam wall outlet, so you need the charger supplied with the vehicle for those.

State your location, and you will get more specific answers.

Only thing you should need your own cables and connectors for is if you want to charge at a public electrical outlet where there is no EVSE. All public EVSEs should have the cables and connectors attached to them. Like this:

CP4000 Series.jpg

STS134 said:
All public EVSEs should have the cables and connectors attached to them
Not sure I agree with you. In the Netherlands, and many other countries, tethered stations are very rare. Simply because we have vehicles with type 1 plugs and vehicles with type 2 plugs. In the US, I think you will find only type 1 plugs (or type 1 based CCS plugs)

pbpZxmc.jpg

I believe that all rapid (DC) chargers will have a tethered (CHAdeMO) plug attached to them in the UK. Fast (AC) chargers may not, so you’ll need a ‘Mode3’ cable with a type1 plug. It only needs to be 16A cable for the Outlander, so you can get them for a third of the price Mitsubishi charge for their accessory.
But don’t rush, you may find it impractical to stop for a recharge away from home because of the deviation and the delay incurred.

Back