Burning rubber smell

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howdoo1794

Hi folks I am new to this forum. I have purchased a 2019 PHEV 4HS I would like some info from anybody the problem I have encountered when I put the car into CHARGE mode from the engine after a short time there is a very distinct smell of burning rubber. I thought this may be due to it being new but has continued every time I engage this mode. I am taking it back to the garage but has any member had a similar problem.

Thanks

This is a common issue that's been mentioned many times and it's due to the exhaust pipe and silencer being mounted close to the rear wheel - so bits of rubber and dirt off the road get thrown up onto the silencer where they burn off when the engine's running for long enough for the exhaust to get hot.

On the diesel Outlander the exhaust is hot all the time so the particles burn off as soon as they hit it hence don't make any smell. But on the PHEV the exhaust is cold most of the time so you get a thicker layer that takes longer to burn off. Charge mode obviously makes the engine run all the time at high rpm so gets the exhaust hot. Nothing to worry about really, all Outlander PHEVs have always done it.

Howdoo1794 said:
Hi folks I am new to this forum. I have purchased a 2019 PHEV 4HS I would like some info from anybody the problem I have encountered when I put the car into CHARGE mode from the engine after a short time there is a very distinct smell of burning rubber. I thought this may be due to it being new but has continued every time I engage this mode. I am taking it back to the garage but has any member had a similar problem.

Thanks
It will get less over time but never disappear completely.

Back