Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 am
Posts: 9
As per title, has anyone in the UK has had a Next Base Dash Cam hard wired in by Halfords. I'm considering having one fitted as I'm not confident in doing it myself and I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback, good or bad before I take the plunge.
Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:16 pm
Posts: 36
Barrovian wrote:
As per title, has anyone in the UK has had a Next Base Dash Cam hard wired in by Halfords. I'm considering having one fitted as I'm not confident in doing it myself and I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback, good or bad before I take the plunge.
Thanks in advance.


Probably not the response you are expecting - but, if you buy the Nextbase hardwire kit (approx £15-20 from Amazon) it is no more than a 30 min job!

Piggyback fuse holders provided.

You remove an existing fuse, plug the piggyback holder in, replace the removed fuse into the "other" holder in piggyback. Hardest part is connection to an earth (I used the earth point under / side of footwell carpet).

Then just route cable under edge of door seal, up to window, under edge of rooflining -then plug into dashcam.

I did this in a leased car, all done in 30 mins, most of this time was getting to earth point mentioned. No "real" wiring involved at all!

Glenn


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 am
Posts: 9
Hi Glen, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know it's probably a very easy job, but you're talking to a man who manages to mess up hanging a picture on a wall, so the thought of messing around with fuses, trims etc fill me with a sense of dread :( What I can take from your reply though is that the Next Base works without problems or interference with other electrics etc., if it's fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, yes? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:00 am
Posts: 6
@barrovian. It is very easy to fit a nextbase dashcam so Halfords should be able to do it for you no problem

Alternatively another self fit option is just to plug it into any power socket in the car. All of them are supplied with a very long lead that plugs into the standard 12v sockets & you can just tuck the excess wire behind some trim.

From personal experience, the internal battery in the nextbase (which remembers the date & time when ignition is off) is rubbish, only lasts 18-24months. The cameras themselves are fantastic, even in low light

Ant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 1766
Barrovian wrote:
Hi Glen, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know it's probably a very easy job, but you're talking to a man who manages to mess up hanging a picture on a wall, so the thought of messing around with fuses, trims etc fill me with a sense of dread :( What I can take from your reply though is that the Next Base works without problems or interference with other electrics etc., if it's fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, yes? :lol:


As a keen (and fairly competent) DIYer, I can assure you that hanging pictures fills me with dread. Modern plastered wall surfaces are not resilient enough and picture hook nails bend too easily. :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 am
Posts: 9
Well, I've fallen at the first hurdle. How on earth do you get at the fuse box behind the glove box?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 am
Posts: 160
Location: Southern end of North Yorkshire, UK
Barrovian wrote:
Well, I've fallen at the first hurdle. How on earth do you get at the fuse box behind the glove box?


The sarcastic answer: Open the glove box, remove the owner's manual and look at Section 11 where it shows you in pictures how to access the fusebox.

The nicer answer: Open the glove box. Unhook the rod that stops it opening too far on the right. Unhook the two hooks at the top of the fusebox so the top is free, then open it fully and remove it from the dashboard. Now you have good access to the fusebox behind it. To refit the glovebox put the lugs at the bottom back into the holes in the dash, close it part way so you can reengage the hooks, then reconnect the rod and shut fully.

_________________
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX4H (petrol/electric)
2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (diesel)
(recently departed - 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0Rn (LPG), 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 LWB (WVO))


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 am
Posts: 9
richr wrote:
Barrovian wrote:
Well, I've fallen at the first hurdle. How on earth do you get at the fuse box behind the glove box?


The sarcastic answer: Open the glove box, remove the owner's manual and look at Section 11 where it shows you in pictures how to access the fusebox.

Haha, I asked for that. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I had indeed opened the glove box, removed the manual and looked at section 11, but even armed with that knowledge, I was stumped. Now, with your concise instructions (which are a darn sight better than the manual) I'll have another look :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 am
Posts: 160
Location: Southern end of North Yorkshire, UK
It's odd really, but the glovebox comes off in almost exactly the same manner on my 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero. The only difference is there isn't a fuse box behind it, that's on the driver's side but just as hard to get to (pushing the seats back fully and lying on your back on the floor is the easist way!)

_________________
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX4H (petrol/electric)
2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (diesel)
(recently departed - 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0Rn (LPG), 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 LWB (WVO))


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:16 pm
Posts: 36
Barrovian wrote:
richr wrote:
Barrovian wrote:
Well, I've fallen at the first hurdle. How on earth do you get at the fuse box behind the glove box?


The sarcastic answer: Open the glove box, remove the owner's manual and look at Section 11 where it shows you in pictures how to access the fusebox.

Haha, I asked for that. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I had indeed opened the glove box, removed the manual and looked at section 11, but even armed with that knowledge, I was stumped. Now, with your concise instructions (which are a darn sight better than the manual) I'll have another look :)



Been away - dont like access via a phone, prefer a proper computer!!

Have you managed?

I had no issues at all when using the branded connection kit (used an unbranded one first which quickly failed :( )

Glenn


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
© Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group