BP Chargemaster

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickers7893

Some 4 years ago my Local Authority were offering free Polar 16amp external charging boxes as part of the Government's Green Initiative. It did not cost me anything and I did not sign up for any future payments.
I have just received an email demand for £50 from a company called BP Chargemaster purporting to extend the use of my Polar Unit for a further 3 years.
There is an implied threat in the communication as follows :- "If this offer is not taken up over the next 30 days, the comms element within your Homecharge unit will be deactivated and your log in details to the ChargeVision platform will be no longer apply"
Have any of the Forum Members in the UK received one of these communications or is it a SCAM!!

Big John
Juro PHEV
MY19
White
Named "Scorpio Too"

All it means is that the unit won't communicate usage stats to "BP Chargemaster", or whoever. What advantages that does or doesn't give you, I don't know. Give 'em a call, or email? Don't give them any money until you're sure what it's for!

Thanks Regulo
Another site confirms your comments. The only advantage is to the installer who can monitor the energy usage from the unit, there is no advantage to the user. The unit will continue to function.
I suspect that there may well be a number of users who pay up!

Big John
Juro PHEV
MY19
White
Named "Sparky Too"

vickers7893 said:
Thanks Regulo
Another site confirms your comments. The only advantage is to the installer who can monitor the energy usage from the unit, there is no advantage to the user. The unit will continue to function.

I think that's a bit unfair. The user can also monitor their energy usage if they so wish, which some may see as a huge benefit. I can't see why you think it's a unethical for a provider to ask you to pay for the continuation of a service at the end of that service's contract - isn't that what any sensible business would do?

If you don't want it, don't pay for it - it's not rocket science.

L do not have any problem with a company asking for a fair return on the services that it provides. However I do object to being asked for cash for a service that a) There was no original written contract. b)There were no written instructions as to how to monitor the usage of the service.
My Chargemaster Unit was installed in April 2014. The only document that came with it was the installation instructions for the Engineer and two keys.
I note that BP have only recently bought out the Chargemaster and Polar operations. No doubt they are looking to maximise their investments.

Big John

So you've not used the service, and you've not paid for it. Some people might be glad that they were offered the opportunity to monitor their charging when they were unaware that they could.

Yet you object to a firm trying to get a return on its investment as if they're doing something wrong or illegal or immoral.

I think it's down to a lack of information given to you when you had the charger installed. BP Chargemaster fitted mine in February, and right from my initial enquiry it was explained to me that I could have a locking unit that communicated usage stats back to Chargemaster, and how I would be able to access that information online for three years. After that, a fee would be payable. Or, I could if I chose have a standard unit that didn't have the comms info and no lock. No hard sell, choice was entirely mine. All upfront and nothing underhand as far as I'm concerned.

What is interesting about this is that the original government subsidy was on the basis that the charging units would send back monitoring data (a bit like smart meters) so that the government could understand EV usage. So to start expecting the customer to pay for this suggests Big Brother is no longer watching you - which must be good :lol:

I had my Chargemaster unit installed late last year and this monitoring feature was one of the various extra-cost options you could have - definitely not a "hidden" feature at that time. I did not go for it as I can see roughly what I am using from my home energy monitor anyway and at the end of the day it will use what it uses to charge the car so not sure what real value it gives.

Back