Differences between 2016-2018 models

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntsCar

Hi I'm new to the forum so mods please move this if I've posted in the wrong section.

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand hybrid or phev & the Outlander seems to best meet my needs & budget
- towbar ( for bike carrier & v rare short distance tow/ trailer to tip)
- better than 45mpg on 25 mile (each way) daily commute
- low emissions for low/ no road tax
- less than £20k
- estate or MPV or SUV

It looked like the Kia Niro would be ideal (7 year warranty) but they can't tow in UK, apparently due to different brakes from rest of EU (double checked with dealer)

Which outlanders have
- electric pre heater
- able to drive in full ev mode
- reversing camera or beep
- lumbar support on driver's seat
- DAB radio
- android auto

Can all have a towbar?
How long is warranty & does it transfer to second user?
What is realistic mpg on long motorway drive, car will be used for family holidays where likely to drive 8hrs non stop/ refuel?

I think the GX4hs, GX4h, GX3h+ & juri are what fit the bill, but would appreciate confirmation from owners

Thanks Ant

Lots of people tow caravans with an Outlander PHEV, and there are several towbars on the market for them.
Warranty on a 2016-2018 model is 5 years/62500 miles for the bulk of the car, but 8 years/100000 miles for the EV system.

On motorways (cruise control set at 70mph), I generally get 45mpg. But really the fuel savings on a PHEV come from shorter journeys (ie the daily commute) where it can run on battery. You'll just about manage your 25 mile daily commute with perhaps a little bit of petrol consumption, so I'd say you'll get well over 100mpg on that if you're sensible (hard acceleration causes the petrol engine to start to allow it to generate electricity to produce more power at the wheels).

So for me I use virtually no petrol Mon-Fri, then at the weekend I might drive 150 miles using petrol after the first 20 miles or so, hence around 40mpg average - so my monthly fuel economy average is somewhere around 100mpg or more.

You won't be able to drive for 8 hours on a motorway without refuelling. Range is around 400 miles at that sort of speed as it's not got a massive tank (45 litres, but the gauge shows empty at 37 litres).

Thanks richr lots of useful info there, especially the 5yr warranty. I do about 10k miles per year so if I pick up a 20k-30k 2016/17 I should get 2 years of worry free motoring

Sounds like you have very similar driving pattern to me so I should hopefully be able to get similar mpg. Currently get 35-40mpg with diesel auto, but that includes a fair bit of slow stop/start commute, average speed usually <30mph

jaapv said:
Driving non-stop for 8 hours is not a very brilliant idea anyway... ;)

2 drivers so we probably take 15 break to swap over. Once we get to destination car stays parked up for a week & we walk or cycle everywhere

I have a GX3h+ from February 2016 in which I have driven all of its 98,000 miles so 200-500 mile days and 1000 mile weeks are my norm.

My Garmin Sat Nav is used all the time to set the cruise control at an accurate 70mph (where possible living in the South East!!) and I get no where near the mpg or range mentioned by richr.

Once the battery has gone, or if I have engaged Save to keep battery power for the last few miles once off the main roads, I get between 32 and 36mpg. I generally don't allow the car to start screaming at me to fill up, so start looking for fuel around the 1/3 tank mark (200ish miles)

I fully accept that I am not who this car is aimed at; those who can limit their travels to stay within battery range of the next charge will get fantastic mpg, indeed there are many users of this forum who don't use petrol for weeks at a time, but I am a BIK refugee and this 1800Kg brick is supremely comfortable, big enough for all my needs but small enough to be comfortable in a city and handles like a dream with all that low down weight.............I just wish it had a 70litre fuel tank, but I can't have everything!

Thanks Richard

Can the GX3h+ drive in pure ev mode?

Pleased to say that my 30k miles per annum days are over so hope to do better mpg

Still looking for the right car, hopefully one will turn up in next month as that's when my next service is due

There is no real difference in this respect. Yes, all PHEVs can drive in pure EV mode, depending on a number of parameters, like speed, load, driving style, outside temeperature, wind, etc. However, there is no way of preventing the ICE starting up when circumstances warrant it, even on newer models which have an EV button. Which is quite logical; the car is a plug-in HYBRID, not an EV vehicle like a Leaf or Tesla.
AFAIK the GX3H has no electric heating (correct me if I'm wrong), which will make the ICE start up more often in cold weather.

Antscar, jaapv is correct about driving in EV mode. Put it in Drive and let it do its own thing, drive gently, especially in town and it will mostly use battery.

My car, a facelift 65 plate GX3h+ does have electric heating and can use the app to set pre-heat timers but if its really cold, and you want the car to be warm inside, the ICE will start to help with the need for heat. There are endless threads on this site about ways around this, hacks that you can use or ways of stopping the car doing what its designed to do. My view is that I didn't get a £35K company car not to enjoy its comforts and (shock, horror - this is my view, please don't berate me for this) I don't care if the engine starts, or that I have never seen better than 40mpg.

I average 30K miles a year now, but for 20 years my average was 45K, the comfort, serenity and total reliability of this car are what's important to me, because it's a work tool, gets treated as such, and I love it.

Thanks both for the info.

I've had a few hybrids, so I'm used to them managing electric & ice. The Mrs has a full ev (company car) which is great but too expensive (personal car) for me & I like knowing I can do an occasional long trip without stopping to recharge. I would like to be able to do a short trip without using petrol, typically have to drop off/collect kids <10 miles, no motorway but A roads 60mph max. Would any Outlander be able to do that, or would I specifically need one with ev button?

Perfectly happy for ice to work with ev on daily commute.

If you are happy to have the ICE come in occasionally (like for full power or heating) on your commute, you are describing the ideal use.
My 2014 one has been doing exactly this for the last five years.

Back