Next Base Dash Cam - fitted by Halfords

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrovian

As per title, has anyone in the UK has had a Next Base Dash Cam hard wired in by Halfords. I'm considering having one fitted as I'm not confident in doing it myself and I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback, good or bad before I take the plunge.
Thanks in advance.

Barrovian said:
As per title, has anyone in the UK has had a Next Base Dash Cam hard wired in by Halfords. I'm considering having one fitted as I'm not confident in doing it myself and I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback, good or bad before I take the plunge.
Thanks in advance.

Probably not the response you are expecting - but, if you buy the Nextbase hardwire kit (approx £15-20 from Amazon) it is no more than a 30 min job!

Piggyback fuse holders provided.

You remove an existing fuse, plug the piggyback holder in, replace the removed fuse into the "other" holder in piggyback. Hardest part is connection to an earth (I used the earth point under / side of footwell carpet).

Then just route cable under edge of door seal, up to window, under edge of rooflining -then plug into dashcam.

I did this in a leased car, all done in 30 mins, most of this time was getting to earth point mentioned. No "real" wiring involved at all!

Glenn

Hi Glen, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know it's probably a very easy job, but you're talking to a man who manages to mess up hanging a picture on a wall, so the thought of messing around with fuses, trims etc fill me with a sense of dread :( What I can take from your reply though is that the Next Base works without problems or interference with other electrics etc., if it's fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, yes? :lol:

@barrovian. It is very easy to fit a nextbase dashcam so Halfords should be able to do it for you no problem

Alternatively another self fit option is just to plug it into any power socket in the car. All of them are supplied with a very long lead that plugs into the standard 12v sockets & you can just tuck the excess wire behind some trim.

From personal experience, the internal battery in the nextbase (which remembers the date & time when ignition is off) is rubbish, only lasts 18-24months. The cameras themselves are fantastic, even in low light

Ant

Barrovian said:
Hi Glen, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know it's probably a very easy job, but you're talking to a man who manages to mess up hanging a picture on a wall, so the thought of messing around with fuses, trims etc fill me with a sense of dread :( What I can take from your reply though is that the Next Base works without problems or interference with other electrics etc., if it's fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, yes? :lol:

As a keen (and fairly competent) DIYer, I can assure you that hanging pictures fills me with dread. Modern plastered wall surfaces are not resilient enough and picture hook nails bend too easily. :evil:

Barrovian said:
Well, I've fallen at the first hurdle. How on earth do you get at the fuse box behind the glove box?

The sarcastic answer: Open the glove box, remove the owner's manual and look at Section 11 where it shows you in pictures how to access the fusebox.

The nicer answer: Open the glove box. Unhook the rod that stops it opening too far on the right. Unhook the two hooks at the top of the fusebox so the top is free, then open it fully and remove it from the dashboard. Now you have good access to the fusebox behind it. To refit the glovebox put the lugs at the bottom back into the holes in the dash, close it part way so you can reengage the hooks, then reconnect the rod and shut fully.

richr said:
Barrovian said:
Well, I've fallen at the first hurdle. How on earth do you get at the fuse box behind the glove box?

The sarcastic answer: Open the glove box, remove the owner's manual and look at Section 11 where it shows you in pictures how to access the fusebox.
Haha, I asked for that. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I had indeed opened the glove box, removed the manual and looked at section 11, but even armed with that knowledge, I was stumped. Now, with your concise instructions (which are a darn sight better than the manual) I'll have another look :)

It's odd really, but the glovebox comes off in almost exactly the same manner on my 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero. The only difference is there isn't a fuse box behind it, that's on the driver's side but just as hard to get to (pushing the seats back fully and lying on your back on the floor is the easist way!)

Barrovian said:
richr said:
Barrovian said:

Haha, I asked for that. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I had indeed opened the glove box, removed the manual and looked at section 11, but even armed with that knowledge, I was stumped. Now, with your concise instructions (which are a darn sight better than the manual) I'll have another look :)

Been away - dont like access via a phone, prefer a proper computer!!

Have you managed?

I had no issues at all when using the branded connection kit (used an unbranded one first which quickly failed :( )

Glenn

Back