Cargo Space in the 2014 Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

transpower

The previous Outlander model has 73 cubic feet of cargo space with the second and third row seats folded down. I've read that the new Outlander model will have 63 cubic feet. Is that true? That's a bit disappointing if true, though not a deal killer.

This could be true - the Outlander PHEV doesn't have the third row seats. However, I was under the impression the cargo area is not affected - but I wonder if the cargo floor is slightly higher than the back of the third row seats (when folded down) would be.

The other option is that perhaps 10 cubic feet of cargo space is taken up by this EV charge cord storage area?

Mitsubishi keeps saying the Outlander PHEV components didn't affect the passenger area at all - which now that I type it, perhaps they were specific in saying passenger area and not cargo area?

I think I read somewhere that the rear floor area is raised about 4 cm... I'll have to see if I can find that reference again.

klaus said:
This could be true - the Outlander PHEV doesn't have the third row seats. However, I was under the impression the cargo area is not affected - but I wonder if the cargo floor is slightly higher than the back of the third row seats (when folded down) would be.

The other option is that perhaps 10 cubic feet of cargo space is taken up by this EV charge cord storage area?

Mitsubishi keeps saying the Outlander PHEV components didn't affect the passenger area at all - which now that I type it, perhaps they were specific in saying passenger area and not cargo area?

I think I read somewhere that the rear floor area is raised about 4 cm... I'll have to see if I can find that reference again.

Yeah the floor was raised in the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV because of the batteries, some of them are very low in the vehicle...

Not a definitive cargo volume, but some dimensions: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/outlander/spec/pdf/outlander_figure.pdf

Several sites are reporting the PHEV cargo area behind the rear seats as being 463 liters, which I find to be a very dubious number... that would translate to 16.35 cubic feet, a number which puts it as a smaller space than either a Plug-in Prius at 20.6 cu ft or C-Max Energi at 19.5 cu ft. I call baloney! Here are two of the sites reporting that low number. I found a half dozen other sites with the same specs, but I think they are ALL getting the specs from the same erroneous source.

http://www.first4auto.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-plug-in-hybrid-electric-vehicle/
http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/mitsubishi-outlander-phev/

Here is a review of the gas version, with numbers quoted for space behind each row of seats. Keep in mind the PHEV has only two rows:

"The Outlander's got plenty of cargo space past its nifty flap-fold access gate, which has a lower tailgate portion that folds down for a flat loading floor. There's 14.9 cu ft behind the third row, roughly 38 cu ft behind the second row and a formidable 72.6 cu ft with the second row folded down."

http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-reviews/202493/2013-mitsubishi-outlander-new-car-review.jsp

I am going to run with the assumption that the space behind the second row on the PHEV is going to be similar to 38 cu ft, or 1076 liters. We might lose a bit due to the floor battery pack, etc., but we have been led to believe it will not be much... unlike the RIDICULOUS 8.2 cu ft that the Ford Fusion Energi has available (as one example of bad battery placement). Cripes! A Volt at 10.6 cu ft has more than that!

I hope that figure of 72.6 cubic feet is true! But then the question is: how could 10 cubic feet be lost in the PHEV? After all, there is no third row....

I' pretty sure that Outlander is going to have bigger trunk, at least from the looks of it on video previews and reviews the Outlander trunk looks huge, it could be some mistake in the report or something...

As I read all this, I think the 10 cubic feet of cargo space got lost going from the MY2012 to MY2014 for all Outlanders, not just the PHEV.

case said:
As I read all this, I think the 10 cubic feet of cargo space got lost going from the MY2012 to MY2014 for all Outlanders, not just the PHEV.

That is true, I wonder why Mitsubishi did that to all Outlander models.

Does it have something to do with the engine or something mechanical like that?

Back