Battery Life and Cost of Replacement

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apyds

Complete newbie on PHEV cars here but seriously considering holding off on purchasing a car until the release of the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV in the UK (which I understand is going to be towards the latter part of this year).

However, I have been wondering about the battery life on these cars. My understanding and experience (from items such as my mobile phone and tablet) of Lithium Ion batteries is that the more frequently they are used, the less power they will hold and the more frequently you will have to charge them. At some point they will hold so little power that they will have to be replaced. Is that correct and does it equally apply to the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV battery?

If so, how much are people guessing that a replacement battery is going to cost on one of these cars and how frequently will they have to be changed?

apyds said:
Complete newbie on PHEV cars here but seriously considering holding off on purchasing a car until the release of the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV in the UK (which I understand is going to be towards the latter part of this year).

However, I have been wondering about the battery life on these cars. My understanding and experience (from items such as my mobile phone and tablet) of Lithium Ion batteries is that the more frequently they are used, the less power they will hold and the more frequently you will have to charge them. At some point they will hold so little power that they will have to be replaced. Is that correct and does it equally apply to the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV battery?

If so, how much are people guessing that a replacement battery is going to cost on one of these cars and how frequently will they have to be changed?

It's a lot more complicated than that because Outlander uses a lot of small batteries and they probably have a software system that manages the charging and recharging of the batteries themselves so that they are never "overcharged". So that makes them different than the phone batteries.

But my personal opinion is that you shouldn't worry about that sort of stuff because you will probably change the whole battery in a 5-10 years time and the price will be extremely low compared to today's standards ($1000-$2000 max)

I don't know about $1000 bucks for a Outlander battery replacement, I mean sure the price is probably going to go down a lot but that seems a bit too much too fast, doesn't it?

Mitsubishi offers the drive-train warranty, which I would expect includes the batteries, and that is a 10 year warranty in NZ. Not sure if that applies in other countries.

Also, as Dannyboy suggested, the battery pack is made up of lots of small battery units, which with intelligent software could identify and isolate failing cells, and it might be possible to replace those individually without replacing the entire pack.

BobMarin said:
I don't know about $1000 bucks for a Outlander battery replacement, I mean sure the price is probably going to go down a lot but that seems a bit too much too fast, doesn't it?
I agree. The price of the battery of an Outlander PHEV cant be this low.

I've heard that much of the EV technology in the Outlander is currently being real-world tested in the i-MiEV which Mitsubishi guarantees will retain 70% of its capacity at 100,000 miles. However, about half of the value of the i-MiEV is in the batteries, so they are not going to be cheap to replace even when the price comes down. My fear is that new batteries won't be available at any price when they are ultimately needed.

I don’t really know the precise cost of replacement; however, I think it could be about 1000$-1200$. As Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV holds a 12kWh lithium ion battery, the battery life should be about 100,000 miles.

Back