Home charger installer for Norfolk

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustybug

Hi all. Just waiting for delivery of my outlander. Trying to do some homework in relation to installers. Some are free some are not. Confusing for a newbie. Anyone used a company in Norfolk or any good recommendations that won't cost me the earth. Am I right in thinking with any grant that is available I would be looking at a cost to me of £400 or thereabouts? Do i even need an installer? I know some used a trusty extension lead?? Thanks for your help.

Rustybug said:
Hi all. Just waiting for delivery of my outlander. Trying to do some homework in relation to installers. Some are free some are not. Confusing for a newbie. Anyone used a company in Norfolk or any good recommendations that won't cost me the earth. Am I right in thinking with any grant that is available I would be looking at a cost to me of £400 or thereabouts? Do i even need an installer? I know some used a trusty extension lead?? Thanks for your help.

If you can't reach a suitable external standard 3 pin socket then a heavy duty waterproof extension cable is fine. :)

I read a post last night on twitter from @chargemaster who are doing home chargers for £149. Not sure what this includes or what the deal is. Here is the link:
http://www.chargemasterplc.com/outlander

I'm also in the market for a charger pod at home. I have still not decided on tethered or untethered. 32A or 16A, but think I will go 32A to be future proof. I have also see reduced prices from Rolec, but need to investigate further in my area as to what is available.

I want something discreet as you look onto my driveway from the road and don't want it to be too obvious.

I used PodPoint in Cambridge and am very happy with the installation. I don't remember the price, but I'm sure there is another thread on the board that goes into quite a lot of detail on this. On the point you make about "discretion" though, the standard PodPoint unit is not particularly low key - it's a disc shaped unit around 35cm across which wall mounts. I have a small padlock that I use to secure the charger in it's holder when I'm not at home so that it would require a bit of effort to mess about with it or use the charger. I also use the small padlock to lock the cable in place when charging. I use the same technique for my travel cable (two padlocks with the same key that I keep on the car key fob)

I went for a 16A installation to keep the cost down, but if you think you'll be staying in the property long enough to need to upgrade to 32A then it's probably worth doing.

I also considered an untethered supply but found out that would mean I'd need to buy a cable to connect at home so went for a tethered unit (as it didn't cost anymore in any case). I have subsequently purchased a cable for use with public chargers, but it is quicker and easier to have a tethered unit at home as you don't need to unpack your travel cable and only need to plug in the car - especially if it's cold and rainy when you get home. :)

I'm not sure how to post a link to the old thread, but let's see if this works

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2215&hilit=podpoint

Hi
I am in Mid-Suffolk and used PodPoint as I had a bit of a run around with Chargemaster and was trying to get mine installed before the grant was reduced. I opted for an untethered 32 A version so that the installation is future proofed and can be used for other EVs if I ever sell up. Bought my cable from EV cables in Essex. Got a 32 A curly one so that it keeps it off the ground. The 32A cable though is pretty chunky and the coils do make it slightly bulky. When commuting to work I tend to put the cable in the rear footwell behind the driver's seat.
PodPoint unit is a charcoal grey unlike the Chargemaster which is white. Mine is installed on the front of the house next to the garage and is not too noticeable.

Still a bit undecided. Have narrowed down to chargemaster or Rolec. Going to go for tethered as wont be charging much away from home. I suppose the only difference is Rolec upgrade to 30a at no extra charge whilst chargemaster charge. Any views as to which is best for after service and customer care and any recommendations please?

Rustybug said:
Still a bit undecided. Have narrowed down to chargemaster or Rolec. Going to go for tethered as wont be charging much away from home. I suppose the only difference is Rolec upgrade to 30a at no extra charge whilst chargemaster charge. Any views as to which is best for after service and customer care and any recommendations please?

My experience with Rolec (not their installers) leads me to urge you not to touch them with a barge pole.
They offer zero customer service, they ignore web requests, they repeatedly ignore emails, they seem to have no literature both pre and post sales, an appalling company in my view, I would definitely NOT recommend them, deal with them at your peril!

Back