are all outlanders semi automatic?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweedie

I am about to buy a phev and I must say it was a great car and loved using the automatic. However, I decided to do an HPI Check it it reports that its SEMI AUTOMATIC. Pretty sure that isn't correct as I don't recall gears or anything.

So my question is - are all outlanders phev semi automatic? Or are there two variations of transmission you can buy (ie auto and semi-auto)

Hope not cos I would mean a strange difference between the car I drove and what dvla reports back and potentially a cloned/fraud car?

tweedie said:
I am about to buy a phev and I must say it was a great car and loved using the automatic. However, I decided to do an HPI Check it it reports that its SEMI AUTOMATIC. Pretty sure that isn't correct as I don't recall gears or anything.

So my question is - are all outlanders phev semi automatic? Or are there two variations of transmission you can buy (ie auto and semi-auto)

Hope not cos I would mean a strange difference between the car I drove and what dvla reports back and potentially a cloned/fraud car?

It is not an automatic as we know it... it can lock the engine to the front wheels via an automatic clutch at speeds above 65km/h.
The gear ratio when that happens is fixed (about the same as a normal car in top gear), when more torque is required the electric motors help.
When starting, and below 65 km/h, the car always drives via the electric motors, the switch to parallel mode (engaging that clutch) is controlled by the computer and may or may not happen all the time when the car is driven above 65 km/h.

There are no variations in the drive train, they are all the same across the range.

As HHL says, it's not an automatic in the conventional sense of the word, but the effect is the same - you have three settings - Park, Drive and Reverse and you just press the pedal to select the speed you want.

After reading this, Maybe i should check with a dealer then as i only have a AUTO license

----------------
Stevie

Stevievelvet, you're OK with an automatic licence. It is completely automatic, D-N-R-P, just like any other. There are no gears to change.

What has happened is someone who is a bit dim has seen the flappy paddles behind the steering wheel and have said it must be a semi-automatic

thinfourth said:
What has happened is someone who is a bit dim has seen the flappy paddles behind the steering wheel and have said it must be a semi-automatic

The seller that sold me my PHEV .. was saying .. look the PHEV has the paddles like the F1 use for change gears :shock:

Was also trying to tell me while driving the PHEV that this cause to change gear :?

Anyhow ... after some discussion .. he was saying he was joking .. still I'm not sure he was :lol:

Anyhow .. I don't miss to have the gearbox ... it sounds more reliable to me the car with direct drive only ... almost like the Koenigsegg Regera

Back