Found a GX3H at pretty good price but high mileage at 120k

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langsalang

Update:
Thanks everyone for your replies and thoughts.
Too bad the dealer guy sold it before our viewing appointment.
Oh well, hopefully I'll find something better soon!

Cheers all!

Original:
Hi all!
I found a GX3H 2014 with 120k mileage.
The car is hpi clear and fully serviced.
The price is good but 120k mileage is too much?
I don't intent to change the car for a while.
Is 120k mileage way too high for a 3 year old car?
The dealer himself have used it for about 2k miles he says and car drives absolutely fine and batter life also good. Returns him about 21miles just on ev.

Also I understand that the GX4H has heated seats, can GX3H also have the feature?
The car I'm looking at has completely full leather seats.
Comes with 6 months warranty and I'm looking to get extended warranty with the dealer or any other 3rd party.

Please any advise will be much appreciated!

Ps. I'm a newbie to cars. Only started driving just little over a year ago.
Had a hand me down Mercedes A class 2002 for a year and need a change for bigger family car.
Cheers

Mitsubishi's target is to have their cars last at least for 300.000 km.
I would insist on a battery condition report, though. Chances are that it is fine, though. At that mileage, it is not likely to have spent much time on chargers. Most likely a BIK-avoidance vehicle.

£10.5K is a lot of money for a 3 year old car with no remaining manufacturer warranty. The 3H is the least desirable model. Virtually all of those miles must have been on petrol, not the battery if that bothers you. On the plus side if you plan to potter it around town on battery for the next 5 years you might bring the average mileage per year down to a normal level?

Yes my thoughts exactly on the miles done. Mostly on petrol.
I would be doing 20 miles a day so battery should cut it I hope.
£10.5k too much for 3H?
How much should I be paying then would you say?

I got a cheap 2nd hand high mileage back in October '16

I did insist for make the EV range check ... so I asked to make 40km trip in EV mode to prove the battery was still decent.

Later on I got a EvBatMon and it turn out that my 120.000 km PHEV has better battery condition then most of other PHEV owned here.

People that use a PHEV for high mileage normally will use on motorway and run on ICE almost all the time ... so almost no "stress" for the battery.

So far .. I had no problem at all ... a part from the initial software disappointment in this PHEV, I'm quite happy with my decision.

Both inside and outside, my car look almost as new ... without reading on the odometer it will be hard to guess it has over 120.000 km this car

10K compared to the price available in old continental EU is looking even cheap.

I can see PEHV with over 160.000km for sell for over 15k Euro ... under 20k Euro it is hard to find any decent medium mileage PHEV in europe

Why do we think high-mileage PHEVs have suffered less battery strain? My mileage is about 20 - 25 k per year. My battery is fully charged and discharged roughly twice a day. There is no reason why the same could not apply to a PHEV with much higher annual mileage. Plus, in between these two charges and discharges, so beyond EV range, the battery still has to work hard if not alone when supporting regenerative braking. Also, higher mileage makes subscribing to a fast charger plan much more interesting (at least it does in the Netherlands), where I have used fast chargers exactly twice in over three years.

anko said:
Why do we think high-mileage PHEVs have suffered less battery strain? My mileage is about 20 - 25 k per year. My battery is fully charged and discharged roughly twice a day. There is no reason why the same could not apply to a PHEV with much higher annual mileage. Plus, in between these two charges and discharges, so beyond EV range, the battery still has to work hard if not alone when supporting regenerative braking. Also, higher mileage makes subscribing to a fast charger plan much more interesting (at least it does in the Netherlands), where I have used fast chargers exactly twice in over three years.
You killed all my hope.
So no buy?

langsalang said:
anko said:
You killed all my hope.
So no buy?
Hold on. That is not what I am saying. I am just saying that IMHO a high mileage car does not necessarily have a better battery than a low mileage car.

anko said:

25k km per Year ... is relative normal. But yes ... 25k miles = ~40k km is quite much.

The original owner of my PHEV was doing over 50k km a year ... 120km in just over 2y time

My simple maths is following:

365d x 40km = 14k km is the max km done by battery per year (charge twice a day and make a lot of km does not sound a common pattern to me) .. 14k km per year is not much, and this is in ideal situation ... so ... people that do more then 30k km a year, do most of their km in pure ICE ... so there is no extra full charge/discharge compared to use the PHEV for make less km

People that do a lot of km, like the 1st owner of my PHEV, but as well, these PHEV with 120k miles in 2/3 years ... I bet they do most of their trips on motorway, where battery usage give less then 20km of range after a full charge, so .. charging or not charging the PHEV does not make much of fuel saving ... mainly these are car acquired for gain on taxation ... and then used as standard ICE car.

The 1st owner of my PHEV did let his charging box be ruined by elements and he did not bother to replace this box ... a clear sign that he did not care to charge the car and maximize the EV usage.

Since the previous owner of the PHEV was not using the charging since many months ... the battery condition of my PHEV is better then most of PHEV that has similar age

People that drive the PHEV as normal ICE (not bothering to click on charge or save .. not bothering to charge the car every night) ... will end up preserving better the battery of the car.

One of the main factor of battery degradation, it is to left the battery fully charged for long time .. and this condition is more applicable for people that does not make much km with the PHEV , and keep the car ready for their trip in the garage connected to the charging box.

When the PHEV is used for long distance .. the battery is all time between 25% to 35% real SOC ... that is the ideal SOC for preserve the battery ... on motorway the charging back to the battery it is not very high .. so there is no risk for degradation like when CHADEMO is used

Anyhow ... it is not correct to assume that PHEV with high mileage can have better battery condition then PHEV with low mileage ... but ... it is also not correct to assume the opposite.

The battery degradation, for me, it is pure time function ... plus "how" this PHEV has been used ... so ... the number of km done it is not an indication at all about how much the battery could have been degradated ... but if we consider "how" .. I expect the high mileage user PHEV ... will not bother much to charge their PHEV, and nor they will kept for long time the battery fully charged ... something that on lower mileage usage can happen much more often

Anyhow ... it is quite easy to check the battery status ... just take the car for a drive of ~40km and see if this can be done in EV mode.

I have my PHEV acquired with high mileage ... and I'm quite happy with it .. and I'm quite sure that without looking at the odometer ... it is hard for anybody to guess that some many km have been done already by the car.

elm70 said:
Anyhow ... it is not correct to assume that PHEV with high mileage can have better battery condition then PHEV with low mileage ... but ... it is also not correct to assume the opposite.
Nobody was .... ;-)

elm70 said:
Anyhow ... it is quite easy to check the battery status ... just take the car for a drive of ~40km and see if this can be done in EV mode.
I have done 46.7 km yesterday, before the ICE kicked in. Yet my battery sits at 28.9 ( :shock: ) Ah at this moment. I also have had situations where my battery was empty after 30-ish km, when the Ah number was still much higher. So, maybe this is not the best approach. I would suggest one empties the battery and tries to measure how much kWh can be added before it is full again.

anko said:
elm70 said:
Nobody was .... ;-)

;)

anko said:
elm70 said:
I have done 46.7 km yesterday, before the ICE kicked in. Yet my battery sits at 28.9 ( :shock: ) Ah at this moment. I also have had situations where my battery was empty after 30-ish km, when the Ah number was still much higher. So, maybe this is not the best approach. I would suggest one empties the battery and tries to measure how much kWh can be added before it is full again.

In my case it is looking quite constant the range ... every morning after full charge, I get a report that I can do 40 or 41km in EV mode .. and it is consistent with my usage ... after 30km of usage I have between 10km to 15km left in EV based on how fast I was driving

How many "ECO leaves" do you get when you manage over 40km drive in EV mode ? 4 or 5 leaves ?

With my driving ... I'm normally on 3 leaves as eco score ... with sometime 4 (relative rare if I make more then 10km, and/or I have a run above 80km/h) .... I get 5 leaves only when I drive below 40km/h with ultra soft acceleration (normally when I need to make few km only and I have EV range below 2km .. sometime with zero range ... I can still make few km in EV mode in this way)

In absence of EvBatMon .... I still believe the best test is to check how many KM can be done in pure EV mode from fully charged battery

With my car, condition 32, I can't find any difference in range driven nor in range indicated compared to new. How this can be I cannot explain.

It will be interesting to know what is the battery voltage when fully charged and when ICE kick in

Maybe when battery get worst, it is allowed to use a wider range of the battery capacity

My yardstick is my daily commute 25+25 km. I general I had the ICE kick in two km before I arrived home in summer, and that is still the case.

Quite surprised to see that with only 1km EV range, EvBatMon reported 3.85v per cell, that is still way above safety

Discharge down to 3.75v per cell is very safe

It is going below 3.70v that can arm lithium battery

elm70 said:
Quite surprised to see that with only 1km EV range, EvBatMon reported 3.85v per cell, that is still way above safety
Be glad that the car maintains a safety buffer, so you can still safely overtake another car or climb a hill at the end of your normal EV range ;)

anko said:
elm70 said:
Be glad that the car maintains a safety buffer, so you can still safely overtake another car or climb a hill at the end of your normal EV range ;)

:?

Should the ICE kick in when the SOC Real is between 30 and 26% ?

Per EvBatMon, with 3.85v per cell is reported as 34% SOC with 12.2Ah capacity left ...

Not much happy that I can do extra overtake or hill climb .. if this cause me to kick in ICE earlier then needed.

Anyhow .. my point was to check what is reported in your PHEV when EV range is zero or very low ... just for know if the PHEV does adapt the range of battery usage based on the battery condition.

elm70 said:
Should the ICE kick in when the SOC Real is between 30 and 26% ?
Mine kicks in at 30.5% or somewhere around 26%, depending on speed. Definitely, it does not kick in at 34%, unless I use the kick down.
elm70 said:
Not much happy that I can do extra overtake or hill climb .. if this cause me to kick in ICE earlier then needed.
Also, don't forget the ICE needs (takes) about 30 seconds to warm up, before it contributes anything. During these 30 seconds, you may easily drive another 2 km or more. Energy needed for these 2 km comes from the battery. If the ICE kicked in when the battery was already at rock bottom, it would be to late.

Back