Phev profile check and cost of ownership

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexh

Well, I was looking at buying a nearly new transporter but I just can't go near a diesel at that kind of outlay. So I'm looking for something large, and if possible to offset running costs savings against a purchase price.

Profile:
Family of 5, we have another couple of cars
95% of mileage will be my commute
Commute is 15 miles each way
I have a 16a ring main in the garage and waitrose have charging points next door to my office, I also have charge points 5 min walk away from the office at the local authority offices.

I'm thinking I can save my current tax and fuel costs (180 pounds- don't ask what mpg I'm getting) and I'd get a good portion of that back in a phev outlander for my profile. Am I barking ma?

It seems ev vehicles are a good way to have a newer car with reduced running costs.

I can't bring myself to buy brand new as the depreciation scares me.

I'm deciding between a 16 plate facelift lower spec 3h, or a 15 plate 4h pre face lift (and save myself quite a few thousand). I quite like the pre facelift looks myself when coupled with some side steps.

I understand the pre facelift 3h needs the ice to generate heat and can't be pre heated in the morning prior to a commute. Hence a 4h would be a better bet?

Welcome your thoughts on my profile and whether I'll see the savings I'm thinking I'll get.

Cracking forum he the way. I've learnt a good bit already.

From a pure mpg and ongoing running cost perspective, you will definitely benefit if 95% of your usage is your commute.

If you are able to charge at work then you should be able to do all of your daily journey on EV and never use any petrol, even in the depths of winter when its colder and battery performance (and therefore range) is reduced.

I’m paying about 12p per kWh for electricity, so running on EV is about a quarter the cost of running on petrol.

I’d definitely go for the 4h with the preheat option, its an absolute God send in winter. Not having to scrape the car, and being able to go straight into a lovely warm car is a great experience. Bear in mind as well that if you don’t preheat, then the ICE will be starting up (and therefore burning petrol) purely to provide heat in the winter. You can’t really avoid this unless you want to turn off the heater and do your commute in a freezing cold car.

Also remember that if you only ever run on EV, the car will force the ICE to start after a few months to burn a certain amount of petrol. Not a big deal, but just something to be aware of.

Thank you for the reply, it kind of confirms my thinking.

As the car would always be in a garage (lowest temps seem to be 6 deg in winter). I'm never going to scrape it off. I'm sure I'll get into the ev spirit and drive in hat and gloves... :D

I have to be realistic and a facelift 4h(or 3+) is more than I'm willing to invest. A pre facelift 4h suits what I'd prefer to spend.

Pre and post Facelift .. the difference is mainly aesthetic ... technically the main difference come with 2017 PHEV and sort of new EV mode button ... still nothing really big did happen since the introduction .. since the EV mode added in 2017 is still not "perfect"

I also have charge points 5 min walk away from the office at the local authority offices.
Will be this for free ? Will be this J1772 or Chademo ?

15miles is never an issue for the PHEV, even in winter.
But 30miles in EV mode without charge is almost impossible (unless driving very slow)

Anyhow .. in general ... the PHEV in EV mode does cost per km 1/4 compared to an equivalent SUV diesel

30miles per days, charging twice a day .. it will cost you around 14kwh a day in electricity .. ~7kwh from home .. and 7kwh from office

Alexh said:
I'm never going to scrape it off. I'm sure I'll get into the ev spirit and drive in hat and gloves... :D

.....and drive with the windows open in summer! The air-con can start the engine, too!
Sounds like a perfect user profile to me. 15 miles each way with a charge at each end would give you mpg in the hundreds!

The chargers next door are type 2 7 kwh, waitrose. Circa 8 pounds per month for a card to use.

The other chargers 5 min walk away are the faster type, 43 kwh type 2 chademo. 5.50 for 45 min

Regulo said:
.....and drive with the windows open in summer! The air-con can start the engine, too!
To be pedantic (and take away unnecessary concerns): it hardly can. Only when you are already driving on the edge (as in consuming well more than 55 kW of available 60 kW of battery power), turning on the air-con can cause the ICE to start.

Heating requirements are a much bigger concern. Alex should be aware than when he buys a model with no electric heater, the engine will always start when he cranks up the heater (regardless of how short his commute is). And when he buys a model with electric heater, it may still happen (in general when he does not properly preheat the car before take-off).

Thank you for this. It does appear that an electric heater equipped car should be high on my wish list to minimise ice use.

Personally I wouldn't count on Waitrose being too happy unless you are a daily shopper! :lol:

We are a family of 5, moving to this was from a 2002 Focus Saloon, so initially the boot seemed huge. The boot isn't that large, that said has been very useful moving items of furniture!

You don't say if your commute is on a motorway or not, motorway will use up the battery very quickly.

Country commute, b roads at circa 45-55 mph. Last couple miles will have some slow traffic.

I've asked waitrose about it. I plan to work in the cafe for a couple of hours in the am them move it, buy my daily fruit from there and coffee etc. That should top it up a little.

I'm trying to see if the office manager will entertain a charging point, I need to check if the grant applies to places of work too.

Back