2018/2019 Outlander

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

My lease deal is up in 11 months time, and I might go for another PHEV.

I've not seen anything about updates for the 2018 or 2019 model. I just wondered if there was any planned - I know now is about the time when the 2018 should be released. Not expecting anything major, just a few updates. i.e. I know the 2017 got an electric handbrake, blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert system, so wondered what the plans might be going forward.

3 things for me which would help, would be lumbar adjust for driver's seat, auto-lock for doors when moving and Apple Car-Play compatibilty. Other than that, I'd be happy.

Cheers.

2018 is released here in Norway at least. According to the dealer there's nothing new except some design details on the outside. But as far as I've heard the 2019 model is supposed to be a big make over with longer EV range... I don't know if it´s true though. :oops:

gorjan said:
2018 is released here in Norway at least. According to the dealer there's nothing new except some design details on the outside. But as far as I've heard the 2019 model is supposed to be a big make over with longer EV range... I don't know if it´s true though. :oops:

Interesting then. Any idea what the small design changes are?

I guess with the Renault Alliance being involved, the 2019 model might see some interesting updates. Although equally it might not!

Whilst I know Mitsubishi need to increase their range size a bit, the Outlander is their best selling model along with the L200. Whilst I know you can't do massive changes each year, they still need to keep on top of it to keep sales up - the PHEV will face some stiff competition in next few years. A small turbo would be a nice welcome, increase petrol performance.

StevieB said:
gorjan said:

I guess with the Renault Alliance being involved, the 2019 model might see some interesting updates. Although equally it might not!

Whilst I know Mitsubishi need to increase their range size a bit, the Outlander is their best selling model along with the L200. Whilst I know you can't do massive changes each year, they still need to keep on top of it to keep sales up - the PHEV will face some stiff competition in next few years. A small turbo would be a nice welcome, increase petrol performance.

Turbo for improve performance :?:

Considering that the car has no gears, and ICE get connected directly (with a simple reduction) to the front axes , only when speed is above 80km/h .. I don't see how turbo can make the car any better performing ... consider also that max speed at 170km/h is limited by the eMotors gearing

On the other hand, if they make the battery bigger or just with higher discharge rate (now only 60kw of power can be used from battery) ... then there will be more power while driving in EV mode ... ideally the full electric power from motor (~120kw) should be sourced only from the battery ... so no more ICE kick in when flooring on the gas pedal .. that will be a big plus for all the people that know well the Outlander PHEV limitations.

Anyhow ... if more then 120kw power is desired .. then they should upgrade the eMotors ... they had a concept SUV with 3 eMotors .. one on the front and two on the back ... this will be a nice step up in power .. with two motors on the back, one per wheel ... it will be a nice vectoring traction control possible :ugeek: ...

Anyhow ... this PHEV is designed for fuel sensible people ... not sure more power will attract more customers ... not sure either if more range at extra cost is welcome too ...

PS: In my opinion they should make first the ASX as PHEV with an attractive price tag

elm70 said:
StevieB said:
gorjan said:

Turbo for improve performance :?:

Considering that the car has no gears, and ICE get connected directly (with a simple reduction) to the front axes , only when speed is above 80km/h .. I don't see how turbo can make the car any better performing ... consider also that max speed at 170km/h is limited by the eMotors gearing

On the other hand, if they make the battery bigger or just with higher discharge rate (now only 60kw of power can be used from battery) ... then there will be more power while driving in EV mode ... ideally the full electric power from motor (~120kw) should be sourced only from the battery ... so no more ICE kick in when flooring on the gas pedal .. that will be a big plus for all the people that know well the Outlander PHEV limitations.

Anyhow ... if more then 120kw power is desired .. then they should upgrade the eMotors ... they had a concept SUV with 3 eMotors .. one on the front and two on the back ... this will be a nice step up in power .. with two motors on the back, one per wheel ... it will be a nice vectoring traction control possible :ugeek: ...

Anyhow ... this PHEV is designed for fuel sensible people ... not sure more power will attract more customers ... not sure either if more range at extra cost is welcome too ...

PS: In my opinion they should make first the ASX as PHEV with an attractive price tag

I agree with what you are saying - better to have increased power from the batteries if possible - although presumably that would come as a negative impact on range too?

With EV range affecting vehicle tax brackets in the UK soon, this is something they cannot afford to decrease - and should only be looking to add to, to stay competitive. Bigger batteries etc would indeed lead to bigger costs, although as time goes on, the cost of batteries should be falling a little each year, as they become more popular.

A small Hybrid turbo would be ideal though - similar to what the Passat and Golf GTE have. It's only a small turbo, but aids performance at low revs - overtaking on motorways when invariably you will be running on ICE would be significantly improved (and safer) - possibly even more economical as you are not having to work the engine as much.

The petrol engine in the Outlander is the same that is used in the Evo, so it should lend itself 'relatively' easily enough having one fitted - but obviously the engine bay space and increased heat output of the turbo may be an issue.

I really like my PHEV and receive great service from my dealer - I know it's not a Merc or a Volvo SUV, but the Contract Hire cost and monthly tax cost is significantly cheaper than those too. I do think that with the Renault takeover, things might be put on hold for a while though with the Outlander - they were looking at trying to tie it in with a platform share with Nissan for a new X-Trail, so not sure how that affects tweaking of the current model going forward.

StevieB said:
I agree with what you are saying - better to have increased power from the batteries if possible - although presumably that would come as a negative impact on range too?

With EV range affecting vehicle tax brackets in the UK soon, this is something they cannot afford to decrease - and should only be looking to add to, to stay competitive. Bigger batteries etc would indeed lead to bigger costs, although as time goes on, the cost of batteries should be falling a little each year, as they become more popular.

A small Hybrid turbo would be ideal though - similar to what the Passat and Golf GTE have. It's only a small turbo, but aids performance at low revs - overtaking on motorways when invariably you will be running on ICE would be significantly improved (and safer) - possibly even more economical as you are not having to work the engine as much.

The petrol engine in the Outlander is the same that is used in the Evo, so it should lend itself 'relatively' easily enough having one fitted - but obviously the engine bay space and increased heat output of the turbo may be an issue.

I really like my PHEV and receive great service from my dealer - I know it's not a Merc or a Volvo SUV, but the Contract Hire cost and monthly tax cost is significantly cheaper than those too. I do think that with the Renault takeover, things might be put on hold for a while though with the Outlander - they were looking at trying to tie it in with a platform share with Nissan for a new X-Trail, so not sure how that affects tweaking of the current model going forward.

No, having more power from the battery will not change the EV range , at least not in the standardize range test/certification which use only a fraction of the available power of the car.

Our Outlander is different then any other PHEV on the market ... the VW PHEV as far as I know they still have a gearbox ... in the outlander there is not even a CVT ... so more power from the ICE will not change much in performance ...

Still having a small turbo, vs a bigger aspirated ICE , it may help to improve fuel efficiency.

I don't think there is space to add the turbo over the current engine block in our PHEV. But possibly put in a 1500c turbo like on i8 , there is enough space for it

Also related to turbo ... I'm not sure is more reliable in our PHEV to have turbo .. since the PHEV can start at any moment at full power from cold, the ICE and stop after few seconds ... normally turbo like to be treated with care both when cold and when they get switch off

Anyhow ... about every day power ... allowing 120kw power from battery will already transform our daily usage ... no more unwanted ICE start ... and a nice silent good acceleration ... only at the "cost" of more capable battery pack (higher discharge rate allowed) ... or by doubling the battery capacity

PS: Maybe it will be nice to have as option to have an additional battery pack that can be connected to the car in the boot (there is quite free space in the boot for what I have seen) .. maybe something modular .. with 20kg pack ... so people can decide if they want extra range and EV power by adding an extra battery .. as well .. it allows to "age" better the "car" .. so when battery get old .. there could be the option to pay for an additional plug in pack in the boot, ad have the car back to its original "glory" ...

PPS: I would also like to see solar panel on the Outlander huge roof ... it is a modest range increase ... but with the current cost of panels it is cheap and cool :geek:

You definitely don't want a turbo on an engine with the duty cycle of the PHEV. I think a much bigger benefit to driveability would be a two speed gearbox so that parallel mode can used at lower road speed. But it's extra weight cost and complexity so I can see why GKN's engineering team went the way they did.

Steve

Daff said:
You definitely don't want a turbo on an engine with the duty cycle of the PHEV. I think a much bigger benefit to driveability would be a two speed gearbox so that parallel mode can used at lower road speed. But it's extra weight cost and complexity so I can see why GKN's engineering team went the way they did.

Steve

True. They do some great stuff GKN, but you do wonder how much they were limited by Mitsubishi's budget on this - although I appreciate, it's only an 'Outlander' at the end of the day.

And I know VW and Volvo use live E-Axles, so it's built into the same drive-train as such, but how do they go on with duty cycle? The V60 D6 Twin-Engine has the same approach I believe, so how do they couteract it? There's just that delay when opening up the throttle, say at 65mph before speed increases and you can overtake. The Engine alone is not the most powerful one out there, especially considering the weight of the vehicle.

StevieB said:
Daff said:

Steve

True. They do some great stuff GKN, but you do wonder how much they were limited by Mitsubishi's budget on this - although I appreciate, it's only an 'Outlander' at the end of the day.

And I know VW and Volvo use live E-Axles, so it's built into the same drive-train as such, but how do they go on with duty cycle? The V60 D6 Twin-Engine has the same approach I believe, so how do they couteract it? There's just that delay when opening up the throttle, say at 65mph before speed increases and you can overtake. The Engine alone is not the most powerful one out there, especially considering the weight of the vehicle.

I suspect GKN had this transmission 'designed' before they sold it to Mitsubishi. Many component suppliers sell their latest features to several car manufacturers at the same time. Presumably Mitsubishi forced a sole use agreement as no other makers are using the same transmission. However, I await with interest the latest EV/PHEV offerings from both Nissan and Renault now Mitsubishi have been bailed out by them!

I also would like to see a ASX sized PHEV. :)

Tipper said:
I await with interest the latest EV/PHEV offerings from both Nissan and Renault now Mitsubishi have been bailed out by them!
These were my thoughts as well, but having asked a few weeks ago at my local Nissan dealer about the prospect of an X-Trail PHEV, they quite clearly have the message from Nissan that they are going down the EV route only and bypassing the hybrid phase altogether, whether that is Renaults view I have no idea, but the next few years should be quite interesting.

Firstly, Hi! This is my first post, although I have been lurking for a while.

I have just confirmed an order today for a 2018 Outlander PHEV 4h(3 year private lease). The Leasing Company just called me to ask if I wanted to go for the 2017my which is specced as per the Mitsubishi website and brochure but not available in the colour I want or do I want to go for the 2018my which has the following small changes:

Heated front Windscreen
Updated MMCS which now included Carplay and Android (he was a bit vague on wheather or not this was an improved system or not)
No sunroof

I have gone for the 2018 as SWMBO wanted the heated widscreen and I get the colour I want. Apparently in stock in the UK so should be with me in a couple of weeks!!

Good decision to go for 2018

Yes ... Heated front Windscreen .. it can be very useful if you want to drive in winter without starting the ICE needed for activate the car heating system when the difference of temperature between climate control and outside temperature is above 10deg

Since my Windscreen got a crack (relative common issue on this car to get a little stone on motorway) , maybe I can ask if there is a possibility to get a heated windscreen as replacement ....

PS: About sunroof ... this is nice to have in winter .. since on sunny days it can "pre-warm" the car for "free" (at least for my usage, with the car left outside while I'm at work) .. but for the rest .. it is quite useless .. at least for my opinion and usage

Does the new MMCS have any satnav capabilities of its own, or is it completely reliant on pairing with a phone?

Steve

Daff said:
Does the new MMCS have any satnav capabilities of its own, or is it completely reliant on pairing with a phone?

Steve

Currently, I have no idea. The leasing manager wasn't sure either. Can't seem to find anything on the web about it.

You'll get much more up to date mapping and better navigation and traffic from Google Maps anyway.... The navigation in MMCS is pretty weak.

My concern would be areas with poor mobile data...

Steve

Daff said:
You'll get much more up to date mapping and better navigation and traffic from Google Maps anyway.... The navigation in MMCS is pretty weak.

My concern would be areas with poor mobile data...

Steve

I agree - for a normal Sat Nav, it's fine, but TMS and re-routing is non-existent (even though it has the facility).

You'd also need an increased Data tariff too, if going via a mobile, and also battery consumption of phone would be higher, meaning you'd have to keep it on charge for longer distances, which might put more strain on phone battery.

I do 30k miles a year using it, and although it's not the best, it works fine for me - you just have to adapt to it and accept the limitations.

Right, having a spoken to a few kind Mitsubishi folk, I can confirm the 2018 model has the following changes:

No Sunroof.
Heated Windscreen.
MMCS is now removed, and replaced with a system that has Apple Car Play.
(This has FM, AM, DAB, Bluetooth & USB connections. but no CD slot, and no SatNav).
You will need to pair your Apple or Androd Device to the screen, to use satnav from your phone.

Prices not fully released, but expect to be similar or increased inline with inflation.

For me, with the sunroof and satnav deleted, I'd like to see a cost saving to be fair, as clearly costs and also licensing for the maps is no longer required. Whilst Carplay is a step in the right direction, it should also be alongside an integrated satnav. Not everyone has smart phones, and not everyone will want to use the data for it. Agree that if you do use it, it will provide a better system though.

I'd guess another outcome of these changes, are there will be a little weight saving - sunroof components and structure around them are heavier than a normal roof, and also the CarPlay unit will be a little lighter too. Wonder if CO2 levels will drop a touch because of it?

StevieB said:
and no SatNav).
You will need to pair your Apple or Androd Device to the screen, to use satnav from your phone.

Quite a marketing risk to not provide a SatNav especially in this segment. It will interesting to see if others follow.

If these changes have been made to the new 2018 model perhaps Mitsubishi have had to reduce production costs by cutting out some features such as SAT NAV and a sunroof in order to keep the 4H MSRP price below the critical £40000 road tax threshold. It was already only just below the threshold once a non solid paint had been added. I would be surprised if they could keep the price below with the 4HS though. Also with the government grant of £2500 due to go at the end of March that would be another potential pressure on costs of buying the car. Lets see when the brochure and price list comes out.

It's so nice and cute to get a satnav for free... And even including nice updates...

But I still want to have my own control with whom I want to share with where I drive, how I drive, etc...
It can be found on the web why some car manufacturers refused to include Android's marvellous car app.
When spending 5 digit EUR prices for a car, I prefer to be the consumer, not to be the product which is sold to others.

Harald

Back