2018 upgrades to PHEV 4H - are they a poor idea

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCT36

I have a 2015 Outlander PHEV 4h and was just about to re order for another 3 year lease - However not convinced that not Sat Nav and no music system is a great idea. has anyone any feedback on the use of a the phone / google maps through the screen - does this really work or are Mitsubishi just penny pinching ?

Not necessarily a Mitsubishi thing, my Golf has appleplay etc and it works well.

It would not put me off. I would swap my MMCS out for the new system if I could. It’s not the best system......

When using Android Auto , the big search machine will have access to the OBD data of your car and can judge if you are over-speeding, can judge the style of your driving, etc...
They will know how deep you pressed the pedal, what charge you have in the battery, if you overstress maintenance periods or not, ...
They will know what advertisments they could show you as they know your home and your place of work, etc...

Such data is also potentially interesting for insurance companies, authorities, etc...
Speedy drivers could face higher insurance tariffs, actual metering of speed data could lead to judgement of "gross negligence", etc...

It's up to you if you trust the external companies sufficiently for sharing such data for the comfort of having an actual navigation system.

If you buy into Harald’s concern about data security you can always use an iPhone with Apple CarPlay and its Maps navigation App. Apple is so concerned with civil liberties it won’t even share a known terrorist’s iPhone data with the FBI. ;)

Actually I find Mitsubishi’s Apple CarPlay/Android Auto system fine and the Sat Navs are certainly likely to be more up to date than any built-in system.

my phone is android so don't know about apple products.

isn't is just simpler to switch the car on and have the sat nav already installed - the CD player and SD card have also gone , seems a shame to lose them

SCT36 said:
my phone is android so don't know about apple products.

isn't is just simpler to switch the car on and have the sat nav already installed - the CD player and SD card have also gone , seems a shame to lose them

You can still use a USB stick?

Otherwise the feedback is great on it.

However................... look on the Mitsubishi website, under accessories - they offer a new carplay unit, with built-in satnav and also a cd player. Might be worth seeing if they can do a deal?

where is the USB connector - apologies for the silly question ?

the sat nav is over a £1000 so a little expensive , but thanks for the idea

SCT36 said:
where is the USB connector - apologies for the silly question ?

the sat nav is over a £1000 so a little expensive , but thanks for the idea
There are two USB connectors in the bottom of the storage area between the seats.

I drove my car home from the dealer and used music on the USB stick and AndroidAuto/Google maps for the 1200 mile/1970 km drive. Both worked great! We can press the 'talk' button on the steering wheel and say 'navigate home' and the car/phone combo do the rest.

View attachment outlanderusb.jpg

Back