Any way to check battery on a test drive?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThudnBlundr

Noob here. I have searched through several pages of posts for an answer, but apologies if it's been asked before

We're looking to buy a PHEV, but it's likely to be a 2015 model with 30-40k miles. I've looked at a couple on regular forecourts and the batteries are almost always near flat, so it's impossible to get an idea of range. Even if they have a charging point, they're seldom at capacity. Is there any way to check the traction battery SOH while looking round the car or on a test drive. I gather that there are apps linking to an ODB2 port - I have something similar for my Zoe - but I'm not sure how keen the salesman would be for me to plug it in! Is there another way to get a reading without going to a main dealer?

No, there is not, apart from a full analysis by the OBD2 port or - even better -, a battery condition check by a dealer. Even if the car is fully charged, the display on the instrument panel is totally unreliable. With half an hour's drive I can get mine to display anything between 20 and 60 km.

I would not buy a used PHEV without a recent battery condition report from a Mitsubishi dealer. If it is refused, walk away.

Do make sure the car has been dealer-maintained. If it has been serviced by a non-authorized dealer, or, worse, DIY, the requisite updates and factory checks will not have been carried out.

Thanks Jaapv. I guessed as much, but was hoping for some way of finding out. A problem I'm finding is that there aren't enough non-GX3h models around, so dealers don't have to worry too much about me walking away.

Maybe I should look at the apps and take along my WiFi ODB2 connection...

Still, you are a customer willing to drop a not inconsiderable amount of money. I don't think it is too much to ask to make a sale conditional on a battery check.

ThudnBlundr said:
I gather that there are apps linking to an ODB2 port - I have something similar for my Zoe - but I'm not sure how keen the salesman would be for me to plug it in! Is there another way to get a reading without going to a main dealer?

If the seller will neither obtain a Mitsubishi battery condition report nor let you plug in an OBD dongle to do your own check, I would recommend you walk away.

You cant really harm the car with an obd reader, they are pretty common too, buy a compatible one ( for the dog or evbatmon) and make it a condition you check out the battery.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I should be more assertive, but I'm still learning what I'm looking for on a secondhand PHEV. Learnt a few more things reading on here today :oops:

I'm know I'm being a bit lazy as it's late, but is there a recommended smartphone app? I have a WiFi dongle and use my iPhone and a free app to connect to the Zoe.

Theres 2 apps

The 'dog, needs side loading from here
http://phevwatchdog.net/

And evbatmon
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.EvPositive.EvBatMon&hl=en

In NZ we are just given the keys to drive off (no dealer) so I'd just use the obd reader on my test drive

Wish they did that here. When I've swapped drivers (i don't know why I couldn't drive initially :roll:) I've had the salesman stop the engine, take the keys and walk round the car with them to get into the passenger seat before handing them back to me. I don't think I looked that dodgy, and I was driving a people carrier FFS. Not much use nowadays with keyless ignition.

Thanks for the links - I had seen both in my browsing, but there's so much info on here! Sadly (for me) one's Android (we're iOS people here) and the other is an eye-watering £30 on the app store but only £18 on Google Play :shock: Seems a lot, but could save loads, I suppose.

Back