Buying used Outlander

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antti

Greettings from freezing Finland :)

I’m looking after used Outlander to recover my 330xd beemer. In my price range this means a car driven around 150tkms. I have now my eye on a car with 170tkms on the clock but it has pretty much all options on.

Few things I haven’t found anwers:
- does Mitsu have electrical history log on services made at authorized dealers?
- can all dealers make an battery test and does it take long time?
- can the pre heating be used without connecting the car to grid if theres juice in batteries?

Thanks

Antti

Re 1. Pretty sure they do, but I have no proof of it.
Re 2. You can do it yourself, using PHEV WatchDog or EvBatMon apps and a suitable OBDII adapter. So, yes. Any dealer should be able to.
Re 3. Yes, it can.

Thanks,

that particular car has been imported from Netherlands to Finland as most of these are. Theres quite bussinea going on importing ev/phev vehicles. Usually these have been in leasing usage.

Switch fron a bmw 330d to our PHEV is quite a dramatic life style change -;

How is the battery status of your 'new' PHEV?

Some parts of Finland can be colder then -30c, it will be a nice report to know how your PHEV can cope with extreme cold

Well.. it is quite a change from big diesel to this. I’ve had two 3 litre Bmw:s and I like a lot of that that engine. How ever owning one has been made pretty expensive at least here at Finland. Annual taxes are over 900€, insurance costs are high plus diesel fuel costs these days almost as much as e95 gasoline.

I’ve tried to downgrade to a small diesel before.. i tried it with psa 1.6 litre engine in Ford. But theres not much to tell about that :) in my opinion it had all diesel engines bad things in it and really Ford isn’t a thing for me.

So far I don’t know the battery status as OBD bt-dongle I had didin’t work with Watchdog. But I did have the car over night at home. I did a full charge and got around 25kms ev driving on my way to work, it was around -10C at night and didn’t do any preheating. So referring to cold using experiences wich I’ve found from Finnish forums and other sources this should be ok.

For the cold times I have to get some auxiliary heating system. Options are electric engine+cabin heating (wich we have here basicly in every vehicle) or a combustion heater. I’d like to test a new heater product ”Binar” wich comes from Russia but however it has very high quality and I’ve heard very good things about it. As quality with Webasto has gone down this should beat it easily.

I don't think you need a "Webasto" or similiar.

Most of the Outlander PHEV have the possibility to activate warming and cooling of the cabin , via a Remote control or a timer setting on the MMCS

In my case I did test my PHEV as low as -14C ... and the "defrost" function via remote control .. after 20min of "action" was ok for avoid clean the front window from ice, and for to have a bit above 0 in the cabin

In order to have this remote climate control in the PHEV, is better to have the car plugged to the J1772 .. since this function is not working if EV range is below some level .. so if you use this PHEV as a standard hybrid without charging the car you may have some challenge to charge the main battery while driving for have enough battery left for this function.

I have no idea if this function still work when temperature go below -25C .. the record low temperature at my home as been -23C .. but in the last years .. possibly -14C has been the lowest temperature here

About the BMW ... I had a 320d ... very happy with that car .. lot of power and speed .. and little fuel consumption ... currently I have as "weekend" car, an old 335i cabrio ... since on nice sunny days I prefer to ride with 400HP (300+100 from JB4) ... since let's face it ... drive the PHEV is quite boring ... but very cost effective for daily commute

Tax wise .. having spent lot of time in Finland .. I know how high are taxes on cars in Finland .. luckily in Poland there is no Tax for owning a car .. only standard ~20% VAT on buying a car .. and only fix cost is insurance .. and eventual technical inspection once per year (for 20 euro)

Fuel powered aux heater would be handy in remote locations or in situations when main battery is empty. And also heating the car while driving in cold conditions and with these I mean temps below minus 20C :)

Today it was minus 15C when I left to work and I use the electric heater in the car and it worked OK at least while plugged. I think I`ll keep on testing it and consider about spending around 1000E for aux heater.

Yes I miss some things in beemer but in everyday life Outlander feels pretty good. But getting pleasure from riding I have 990ADV and 660 Rally KTM`s in carage :)

Now I’ve driven around 1200kms with Outlander. Mostly dailu commuting but some much with trailer as I’m doing some renovating for out house. Weather has been anythin between 0C and -15C and few days ago it dropped 20cm of snow in 12 hours. Outlander has decent studded tires in size 225/55 18. It has been mostly been overnight at out but few nights it has spent at heated carage. I do charge it at home and at workplace, my daily basic commuting cobsist 50km between home and work.

I like:
- consumption, last 500kms calculated from fill ups 4,06 L/100km.
- interior space
- ”tranny” in daily use, superb
- all the accesories, as far as i’ve found car has all except active cruise and as i see around three cars on my way to work it isn’t much needed :)
- low lights
- awd with some exceptions
- looks

+- electric heater, for the real winter i think proper aux heater is needed.

Don’t like that much:
- japanese feeling, I’m getting to it after over ten years driving mostly VAGs and Beemers
- beeps and buttons, i have plans to dissable trunk beeber
- for light improvment i have 6pcs 25w led aux lights waiting

Overall this is even better family car than i excepted. Im waiting for the summer and to get rid of winter tires under and warmer weather.

Antti said:
Now I’ve driven around 1200kms with Outlander. Mostly dailu commuting but some much with trailer as I’m doing some renovating for out house. Weather has been anythin between 0C and -15C and few days ago it dropped 20cm of snow in 12 hours. Outlander has decent studded tires in size 225/55 18. It has been mostly been overnight at out but few nights it has spent at heated carage. I do charge it at home and at workplace, my daily basic commuting cobsist 50km between home and work.

I like:
- consumption, last 500kms calculated from fill ups 4,06 L/100km.
- interior space
- ”tranny” in daily use, superb
- all the accesories, as far as i’ve found car has all except active cruise and as i see around three cars on my way to work it isn’t much needed :)
- low lights
- awd with some exceptions
- looks

+- electric heater, for the real winter i think proper aux heater is needed.

Don’t like that much:
- japanese feeling, I’m getting to it after over ten years driving mostly VAGs and Beemers
- beeps and buttons, i have plans to dissable trunk beeber
- for light improvment i have 6pcs 25w led aux lights waiting

Overall this is even better family car than i excepted. Im waiting for the summer and to get winter tires under and warmer times.

I had the same "feeling" when I got my PHEV

Coming from "Germans" cars ... Japanese cars don't look "intuitive" ..
In particular ... it took me a while to understand the CC on the PHEV ... before I never had any issue to use CC without reading any manual on VWs and BMWs

PS: I don't believe you need any special pre-heating system on the PHEV .. my testing was that cabin temperature rise 6deg every 10min of running electric heating system while car is parked ,,, possible 8C or more in the second 10min .. 30min of cabin pre-heating .. should "cost" 2kwh battery and should grant you a defrosted car also in the more extreme condition ... in my case I never had to use more then 20min of cabin pre-heating (but I'm fine about driving on a cold car, with the car seat heating on) .. and I never had to scratch ice from the windows of my car, even if I always keep my PHEV outdoor

I`m just wonderin the preheating when the temps get again down to - 15 ... - 25C. I`d like to preheat also the engine properly before leaving.

One thing, can automatic rear window heating be turned off?

Antti said:
I`m just wonderin the preheating when the temps get again down to - 15 ... - 25C. I`d like to preheat also the engine properly before leaving.

This PHEV engine has its smart way to start smoothly.

In cold weather I notice that when I click on "Charge" engine does not start immediately, it take some time before it start slowly and then other time before it is used fully for charge the battery

Different story if you floor the accelerator pedal ... but still if engine is not 100% in right temperature, I don't get 100% power when I floor the gas pedal... still much more power then when charge is pressed (anyhow .. with cold engine ... we should know that we should not floor the accelerator)

So .. assuming you start with main battery charged ... I would not be concerned on pre-heat the engine .. this is counted already by the hybrid logic implemented by Mitsubishi

PS: The pre-heating in the PHEV does actually warm up some fluid which could be shared with the engine .. so .. possibly the PHEV can take advantage of this in cold weather before start the ICE ... anyhow ... I don't see any reason for adding any additional cabin heating system in this PHEV .. unless you expect to need to pre-heat the cabin when the main battery is low.

elm70 said:
Antti said:

This PHEV engine has its smart way to start smoothly.

In cold weather I notice that when I click on "Charge" engine does not start immediately, it take some time before it start slowly and then other time before it is used fully for charge the battery

Different story if you floor the accelerator pedal ... but still if engine is not 100% in right temperature, I don't get 100% power when I floor the gas pedal... still much more power then when charge is pressed (anyhow .. with cold engine ... we should know that we should not floor the accelerator)

So .. assuming you start with main battery charged ... I would not be concerned on pre-heat the engine .. this is counted already by the hybrid logic implemented by Mitsubishi

PS: The pre-heating in the PHEV does actually warm up some fluid which could be shared with the engine .. so .. possibly the PHEV can take advantage of this in cold weather before start the ICE ... anyhow ... I don't see any reason for adding any additional cabin heating system in this PHEV .. unless you expect to need to pre-heat the cabin when the main battery is low.

About the electric heater.. I’ve tested it at few mornings and i think it doesen’t heat engine at all. For example today it was minus 7 C, after 20mins heating cabin was comfy with vlear windows but no signs of heat at engine. Tried to find it with hands and with my Flir heatcam. At winter it doesen’t matter how smooth the start is for combustion engine, if it isn’t pre heated its brutal anyway. Otherwise cars electric heater seems to work fine :)

Back