2014/2015 gx3 spec good enough?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumble

Hi I am planning on getting an Outlander Phew in June. I have two questions please:

1. I can only run to a 2014/2015 model. But am concerned from reading posts on here that I will keep going out of EV mode? I have a short commute lifestyle and that is one of the main reasons for the car.

2. From looking at models I think I need to get the gx3 because it does not have the sun roof and therefore the roof in the back is higher. (3 growing children). Can anyone reassure me that they are content with this spec.

Very many thanks

I have a 2014/15 model gx4h model, and the ICE doesn't really start unless the outside temperature is cold and the heating is set some 10C higher. With the electric heater, you can schedule the car to pre-heat on a cold morning so that the ICE won't start, which is what we do if we know when we're going out. The base gx3 spec doesn't have the electric heater, which means the only way to heat the car is via the ICE starting. The problem I found was that the gx3 was much more common secondhand.

I've not had any complaints about headroom in the rear, but I guess you might have to take them for a test drive in one with the sunroof.

The major thing to look out for in those model years is the date it was first registered. I'm not sure where you are (you can add it to your profile for info), but in the UK, cars registered after 1-Jan-15 have 5 years warranty and 8 years on the EV system. Prior to that, it was 3 & 5, which means a small spike in prices for later cars. Not everyone is aware of this, so you can find a good deal if someone's priced them wrong. I'm not sure what the deal is in other countries.

The 2014 Gx3 didn't have heated seats or electric tailgate, things I'd previously had on cars for 10 years or more. Along with the electric heater allowing pre-heating via the app or MMCS timer, that swayed me to the 4H model. In the winter, if you want heat, the Gx3 will run the engine a lot, I would think.

Regulo said:
In the winter, if you want heat, the Gx3 will run the engine a lot, I would think.

I have a 2014 Gx3 and am very happy with it. Yes, no MMCS - so no SAT Nav, Wifi connectivity or electric heating. But then none of the frustration expressed here regarding trying to access it through your mobile.

If you really have short commutes, like me 10-12 miles per day overall, then the experience of not having the heating is much like an ordinary car, which takes time to heat up. I rarely use the ICE for heating - unless the ladyfriend is on board :lol: I wear a hat, coat & gloves in winter anyway as I have a ten minute walk from the "free" parking in Westminster to my office in the City.

I have the top-end 2014 version (with the sunroof).

I've had some very tall people in the back, including an astonishingly lanky teen-ager, and no one has had the slightest complaint about headroom.

The electrically heated seats are a god send, better than a trip to the physio for my back.

:lol:

I have a couple of 6' plus teenagers that have no problems with rear headroom and I have a 2015 pre-facelift model with sunroof (the sunroof is handy but is small and looks like it belongs in a car from the '80s). I sometimes need to put three lanky teenagers in the back (the joys of being "Dads taxi") again headroom isn't an issue, but the seats are not as wide as you would expect from a car of this size and I have had complaints that they are too squashed together for comfort (none of them are overweight, all skinny teens) which is okay for short journeys of about 20 minutes or less.
Satnav and MMCS is okay, as is the sunroof, but the heated seats are fantastic.

Back