Help with pcp

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyInOz

Staff member
The 60 mile daily commute will mean that you always use some petrol.

In my case, with my much shorter commute, I use 40 litres of petrol per year.

If there is a powerpoint at work for you to use, you could re-charge at work every day for your drive home. In warmer weather, that would mean that you could do the entire trip as electric.

The actual amount of petrol used will depend on your driving style. As you go up in speed, wind-resistance becomes much more important.

For me, the key decision revolved around these factors:

1. Size: the car was taller, much easier for me to get in and out, and more comfortable for me to drive (I'm 6'2")
2. Loading: my previous car was a hatchback and I really liked being able to use it for carting things around.
3. Towing: I tow a trailer, sometimes with a kayak, often with other things.
4. Range: full tank plus full battery = approximately 550 km in summer, I can drive anywhere, and refuel on the way, just like any other car.
5. Clearance/4WD: Some of my friends live in rural properties, I struggled to get to them in my hatchback, because of ground clearance (100mm) and being two-wheel drive, while not a serious "off-roader" the extra 100mm of ground clearance plus the all wheel drive seems to be very effective. It also works flawlessly for me on boat-ramps.
6. Eco-friendly: I really wanted an electric car, but couldn't find one that matched the way I use cars, until I found the Outlander PHEV. If I'd bought an all electric car, I would have had to have two cars, which is more expensive and very inconvenient.

Lots of people charge cars on their drive at night - it is the most common way. I wouldn’t worry. Have you considered a full electric car? Do you need a 4x4?
Cheers
H

Yeah, in an uncivil society, plug-in hybrids are not ideal for people who don't have off street parking.

There have been serious proposals for local governments to install power points in power poles, parking meters etc. with a view that a user "turns on" a given socket via a phone app... It will be a while before we see that.

And that wouldn't stop someone from nicking the cable with a set of bolt-cutters.

So far, no-one on this forum has reported vandalism or theft though...

In terms of weather, the whole plug and socket assembly looks like it is intended to be weather proof to me.

One forum member has come up with a nifty piece of cut out neoprene to reduce the risk of the plug getting frozen to the socket. (Or the whole hatch bay from filling with snow.)

Hi is it 60 miles one way? or in total. If in total 60 miles ie if you do 30miles one way then no problem I do 28. on EV but its the 19 model. Before I had 16 and would do about 24 onEV. If you are back and can charge again or charge at work / home with a 7kw charger you are fully charged in 3.5 hrs. If no charging in between, you would get 70 plus mpg if you stay at 50mph. Better than diesel. Any journey over 100 miles not for PHEV in my opinion.

Kesto said:
Hi is it 60 miles one way? or in total. If in total 60 miles ie if you do 30miles one way then no problem I do 28. on EV but its the 19 model. Before I had 16 and would do about 24 onEV. If you are back and can charge again or charge at work / home with a 7kw charger you are fully charged in 3.5 hrs. If no charging in between, you would get 70 plus mpg if you stay at 50mph. Better than diesel. Any journey over 100 miles not for PHEV in my opinion.
Why should a journey over more than 100 miles not be for a PHEV? It may not behave like an EV, but like a heavy petrol hybrid, however, it is a smooth, roomy and comfortable long-range cruiser. Last night I happened to do a 1200 km trip coming back from the mountains in an easy 11 hours, no problem. Just don't expect it to be more than averagely frugal with petrol (gas ;) ) in that case.

I'm a new owner so can't comment on the range for your trip but if you need space and want a PHEV there's pretty much no alternative in the market at this price range.

Are you sure you want to go PCP? I feel many people misunderstand what PCP is and how it works.

Do you plan on buying the car outright once the 24/36 months run out and the balloon payment comes up? Or at that point would you want to just get a newer model? Depending on your situation you might be better off with a lease instead of a PCP.

This is getting interesting. I have no problem over 100miles. I do very often Leeds to Preston with Penine (hills) in between , all the up and down. 77miles one way so I get at least 42mpg. I enjoy the ride. On this forum many times I feel members want the car to behave like an EV which it is not. So just go on long journey whenever you like! My only gripe is motorway petrol stations charge 30p more / litre and the tank is small.
Now PCP. Can't buy the new model at £39500 cash payment. Interest on new car 5.9% but on second hand car 7.9%. Mitsubhishi gave £2500 off the interest. Dealer gave me £3000 from my 2016 PHEV 4H even though car does not belong to me.
On PCP if the car is in garage for more than 28days in year total for repairs the they have to replace the car. Its in my contract.

Olga007 said:
This is the problem i do not understand between pcp and lease. IF I choose to go ahead with a the 24 months period PCP finance i will get another car. I can afford a £10,000 deposit

Am I loosing if i choose the PCP finance? I just dont understand if anyone could explain it to me I would be grateful.

PCP
cost of car - £10000 deposit = say 29000
300 x 42 months= = 12600
left 164000 This is your balloon payment at the end of 42 months. Return the car and walk away or buy at 16400. But my advise sell the car to dealer .3 yr old car you will get more about 19000. They pay you a cheque of 2600 and they settle the rest. Mileage restrictions apply
Lease : Monthly 800
Deposit 800x3(3 months) then pay 800 for 3yrs. Return the car and walk away. All maintenance by dealer. Mileage restrictions apply.
Hire purchase.
car is 39500
deposit 10000
remains 295000
add interest 4400
comes back 33900 divide this by 48 months = 706 per months car is yours in the end no mileage restriction
all is rough hope you get the point

I would be surprised if the mpg for the RAV4 was better than the PHEV on a 60 mile round trip. I do a 200 mile trip with a charge up at each end and get a reported mpg of 70. Most of my trips are short and I rarely visit a petrol station. Remember that the "self charging" RAV4 uses petrol all the time.

This is quite a useful tool for comparisons.... https://www.nextgreencar.com/tools/comparison/

Olga APR is by mitsubishi not dealer.(for new car) . And there are rules above 10000 loan it could be 6.9. Below 10000 it will be higher 7.9. aa far as I remember .Some cars APR is different like BMW.
Toyota Hybrid in town may give 45 mpg But at normal speeds will drop to 35mpg. I have had lexus 4x4 never went over 35mpg on motorway. So no chance better than the MY19 model.
Regarding finance do your maths.
Best of luck

It's hilarious how much Toyota are trying to pretend that plugging the car in is such a big deal.
(As if filling the car with petrol every week is less hassle)

They're doing this, of course, because the Mitsubishi PHEV has hammered the sales of their hybrids.

So they're rubbishing plug-ins while desperately trying to get plug-in models of their own onto the market.

If only they'd listened to all the Prius owners begging for plug-in capability.

my friend has lexus 4×4 the new hybrid advertised as " self charging"??? . do they think public is that dumb? Anyway he is very disappointed 35 mpg

Don't forget that you have a choice when obtaining vehicle finance (see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-finance/personal-contract-purchase/). If you are not happy with the offer then you can get alternate quotes from other providers. Competition is usually the way to get the best deal.

My pleasure. Do let us know how you get on as it may help others. Remember: knowledge is power! :)

Back