Considering buying a 2014 or2015 Outlander

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterX

Hi,

I am looking into buying a used Outlander PHEV. I've got a couple of questions, and would be grateful to anyone who can answer them.

1. the prices shoot up from 2014 to 2015 models; obviously newer cars cost more, but the difference seems kind of big. Anybody know why that is?
2. how long do they last? if you own one, how many Kms have you put on it and how has it held up? what kind of problems seem to come up at what point?

I don't keep up with second hand prices, so can't comment on that. As far as problems occurring - none in 4¾ years, and 45k miles (Sep2014 4H). Whichever you choose, INSIST on a battery condition report. A proper Mitsubishi one, especially if you go for an older model. Bear in mind (assuming you're in the UK) a lot of early cars were company purchased for the BIK advantage, and may have done large mileages as petrol hybrids, rather than plug-in overnight charging. Some suggest that might be better for battery longevity.

I have an early 2014 (Dec.31, 2013) one, which has done about 125.000 km. Completely unproblematic, the only repairs have been a rear motor rubber replaced under guaranty and a new exhaust pipe recently (pretty rare I'm told). My dealer complains that these cars simply don't break down :mrgreen: .
There are no significant technical differences between the 2014 and 2015 models, there are some minor cosmetic changes. Ask for a battery report and buy at an official dealer. These cars are hi-tech ones and don't benefit from amateur maintenance. Make sure that the previous owner did not have a habit of charging at CHAdeMO points.

I've got a pre-facelift 2015 model - registered in March 2015. Prices go up after the new shape came out in late summer that year, but realistically it's mainly cosmetic differences. Mechanically and electrically they are the same otherwise. The battery warranty (in the UK at least) changed on 1/1/2015 though (gained an extra couple of years), so that might affect prices slightly. However many 2014/2015 cars will have done more miles than the warranty covers anyway, so remaining Mitsubishi warranty might not be relevant anyway.

Mine is an ex-fleet rental, just coming up to 60000 miles, and although I don't have a report from a Mitsubishi dealer on the battery state, I manage to get around 8.7kWh in when charging from the battery bar shows nothing (actually about 30% real charge left in the battery), which is good enough. I've had no issues at all in the 6 months I've owned it other than having to bend the charge port flap slightly so it doesn't catch the paintwork.

They did drop the lovely pale blue paint colour at the facelift which is a bad thing in my opinion ;)

Back