audible warning sound

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferris72

What does the audible warning sound for pedestrians sound like?
Can it be amended, adjusted or switched off?

It is not very loud. Some have said it sounds like a dalek?! It cannot be altered or adjusted but it can be switched on and off. Default is on. Off leaves warning light on dash.

Uptodat said:
It is not very loud. Some have said it sounds like a dalek?! It cannot be altered or adjusted but it can be switched on and off. Default is on. Off leaves warning light on dash.

Mind you it's only off till you restart the car, then it's back on again.

It is not an unpleasant or obtrusive sound. It is a bit like electronic relaxation music - a humming. You barely notice it when pulling away - only really with windows open and because the car is so quiet. I've had one comment when I pulled up to a toll booth - the man said "oh what a lovely sound". To be honest I'm not sure it does much good at alerting cyclists or pedestrians as it is so subtle. It is supposed to work up to 22mph. I tend to turn it off if I'm in queuing traffic without any pedestrians in case it takes any power!

We were concerned before buying the car as didn't want something irritating or embarrassing - I'd say it is neither of those.

Cheers
H

my wife"s first comment was that it sounds like an electric wheelchair,
I prefer to compare it with starship enterprise ;-)

Hi
Earlier post referred to being able to turn off background noise. I cant find instructions in the owners manual. Please advise
ed

The switch looks like this:

2hno0er.jpg

just doing a bit of research on the "52Blue" blue whale, it has a distinctive whale song, around 52 hrtz. which is unusual as most blue whales have a song of between 15 to 39 Hrts.

The 52 Blue whale song, sounds almost exactly like the PHEV Audible pedestrian sonar.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ak52_10x.ogg?embedplayer=yes

Or black in my case. I realise it's an old topic but where is the box? It should be a simple job to parallel something in to make a better alert sound.
I actually find myself willing people to look at me when driving in pedestrian heavy areas :shock:

Bayman said:
Or black in my case. I realise it's an old topic but where is the box? It should be a simple job to parallel something in to make a better alert sound.
I actually find myself willing people to look at me when driving in pedestrian heavy areas :shock:

Not convinced this is necessary - many modern petrol ICE cars pass me by (as a pedestrian) very quietly with most of the noise coming from the tyres - as on the PHEV. :?

Many thanks. So is the avas noise generated in the cabin? That wouldn't make much sense.
Unfortunately the people who live near me seem to have flat batteries in their hearing aids & forget they are on a road - not a pedestrian area.

And very little you can do about the snowflakes wandering around with their headphones blocking external noise - especially on bikes !!!!!! :evil:

Bayman said:
Many thanks. So is the avas noise generated in the cabin? That wouldn't make much sense.
Unfortunately the people who live near me seem to have flat batteries in their hearing aids & forget they are on a road - not a pedestrian area.
No, it isn't.

Back