BYD Tang - Mitsu concept with 505hp

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishPilot

The BYD Tang features a 2.0 liter turbo powered petrol unit rated at 205 HP and 320 Nm (236 lb-ft) of torque, as well as two electric motors, each producing 150 HP as well as 200 Nm (147 lb-ft) of torque. A basic understanding of elementary mathematics helps us piece together a total output of 505 HP and 720 Nm (531 lb-ft) of torque. That's incredible!

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/chinas-byd-tang-is-most-powerful-hybrid.html

And most importantly, is has an EV button. :)

file.php

IF power delivery is anything like in the outlander then the actual figure is more likely to be circa 400bhp, but none the less, very impressive. I wonder whether they'll release it in Europe at some point and what the ev range and economy will be like in practice. They'll have to do some work on the looks before then I guess.

Olibol said:
IF power delivery is anything like in the outlander then the actual figure is more likely to be circa 400bhp, but none the less, very impressive. I wonder whether they'll release it in Europe at some point and what the ev range and economy will be like in practice. They'll have to do some work on the looks before then I guess.

The claimed EV range and petrol consumption are very similar to the Outlander - in the region of 30 miles on EV and fuel consumption around 150mpg. Since it does not seem to be promoted for a European launch at the moment, they are presumably not constrained by the EU rules on advertising cars, so I'm not sure how those figures are calculated.

I think the next Outlander PHEV will need a serious update to compete with the BYD Tang –

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_Tang

The Tang is powered by a 2.0-liter internal combustion engine which delivers 151 kW 320 N·m; two electric motors, front and rear, each rated at 110 kW 250 N·m in the entry-level Tang, and 300 N·m in the performance model. Total system output is 371 kW 820 N·m for the entry-level model, and 411 kW 870 N·m for the performance model.
The latter accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 4.5 seconds and the entry level in 4.9 seconds.

That's twice as fast as our Outlander PHEV! The next Outlander PHEV needs a bit of "Pike's Peak" tech.

total cumulative sales of 27,596 units by the end of March 2016

That's huge numbers considering its only been available for a few months.

In Europe and the USA it will probably be priced quite a bit higher than the Mitsubishi, given that it starts at over 35.000 Euro in China. I guess they will be going after the Porsche Panamera, as they already brought out a 83.000 Euro (in China) special edition.
It is much easier to sell an exclusive car than a popular one with a limited dealer network.

We've been through this before - Wikipedia? A clue might the reference to a 2.0 LITER (whatever that is :lol: ) ICE.

More seriously, the photo appears to be of a smaller car than the PHEV, which would go part way to explaining the better performance claimed - and no mention of 4WD.

It has 4WD. (and V2G interestingly).
Don't underestimate BYD, they are not Daimler's Chinese partner for nothing.

It is a shame that BYD is still landlocked to China as of now since "made in China" has such a negative connotation in the rest of the world. Their advancement in EV & PHEV tech is much more advanced than many other manufacturers in the world.

Heck I would argue with BYD development in public transit such as buses (they have a plant in USA for that) they are doing "more" for sustainable transportation than that of Tesla, but in a manner of "do but don't tell" in contrast to the headline-seeking/ego-boasting modus operandi of the California-based manufacturer.

Back