Mitsubishi plans 2 other plug-in hybrid vehicles within 3 yr

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

Last month, Mitsubishi sign a deal with Nissan-Renault Alliance to cooperate on developing a future compact EV and electrified drivetrain technology.

Also, Mitsubishi President Osamu Masuko unveiled a 3 year business plan that includes plans to add a plug-in Outlander Sport compact crossover, and a plugin hybrid Pajero SUV by the spring of 2017.

Masuko didn't say anything about what countries they would be available in, but as on the Outlander plug-in hybrid forum the vehicle is being offered around the world, we can guess that the Pajero PHEV and the Outlander Sport PHEV would be offered in all of the same countries.

Mitsubishi is betting big on plug-in hybrid SUVs getting them some market share back I am thinking.

I think they may well have already found they are on to a winner with this one.

Reminds me very much of Nissan and their Qashqai, and look where they are with that now, 7 years down the line :!:

If TfL will allow it to remain Congestion Charge exempt for a few years, that should give it quite a boost - it worked wonders for the Prius.

maby said:
If TfL will allow it to remain Congestion Charge exempt for a few years, that should give it quite a boost - it worked wonders for the Prius.

Yes, I think it will be some years yet before they bring their threshold below 44gm CO2 :mrgreen:

david1972 said:
maby said:

Yes, I think it will be some years yet before they bring their threshold below 44gm CO2 :mrgreen:

The danger is that they might change the test criteria - the Outlander is a bit of a cheat - very low emissions provided you don't go too far. It would be quite easy for TfL to rule that it must be able to return less than 44gm CO2 over a trip of, say, 100 miles and I guess the PHEV would fail. I'll drive mine into London occasionally and, using the "Save" function, I could arrange for my travel in the Congestion Charging zone to be 100% electrical, but I'm pretty sure I will average more than 44gm over the day.

The constitution charge criteria should be about how the car drives in London, not his well it does on the motorway to Birmingham...

agreed Duke, but if it has come on the motorway from Birmingham then it may well not be on electric when it reaches the Big Smoke ;)

H

dukeinlondon said:
The constitution charge criteria should be about how the car drives in London, not his well it does on the motorway to Birmingham...

It is a "Congestion Charge" so its ecological performance really should not be relevant at all - a hybrid causes just as much congestion as a Porsche. TfL has been offering concessions to various types of vehicle in a nod towards environmental responsibility since the charge was introduced, but they tighten the rules as soon as too many people take advantage. Within a few years of the Prius launching, London was full of them - then TfL dropped the CO2 limit and the concession was effectively removed. If you start seeing lines of Outlanders along Victoria Street, they will move the goalposts.

Yes I've heard about the L200 too. That would be a huge seller, especially as the tax rules for commercial vehicles are changing this year ie becoming more expensive!

To be honest we've had Shogun's since 1987 and the Outlander is a stop-gap until the Shogun PHEV is released. The latest I've heard is a delivery date for Autumn 2016.

marta said:
Last month, Mitsubishi sign a deal with Nissan-Renault Alliance to cooperate on developing a future compact EV and electrified drivetrain technology.

Also, Mitsubishi President Osamu Masuko unveiled a 3 year business plan that includes plans to add a plug-in Outlander Sport compact crossover, and a plugin hybrid Pajero SUV by the spring of 2017.

Masuko didn't say anything about what countries they would be available in, but as on the Outlander plug-in hybrid forum the vehicle is being offered around the world, we can guess that the Pajero PHEV and the Outlander Sport PHEV would be offered in all of the same countries.

Mitsubishi is betting big on plug-in hybrid SUVs getting them some market share back I am thinking.

Not in South America! Where, my Argentinian friend tells me that Pajero means pony (or rather slang for wanker) :lol: Doesn't sell well with their macho culture.

Since Mitsubishi joined Nissan-Renault, I feel like they are going to focus more efforts into SUV & trucks while Nissan & Renault do smaller compact vehicles.

Back