Heating System in the Mitsubishi Outlander

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMan

I am driving a 2013 Chevrolet Volt on mountain roads at 10,000 feet in Colorado. The climate offers 90 days of frost-free weather. The Volt does not generate cabin heat in winter when temperatures fall below zero. Defrost is adequate, but the electrical system is not designed to heat the cabin. What is the cabin heating system in a Mitsubishi Outlander? Is there sufficient climate control at below zero temperatures?

Yes, the electric heater does a fine job of heating the cabin (in EV mode) without starting the engine. But it will cost you in EV range. If it’s very cold outside and you’re using electric heat, your EV range will drop in half.

generaltso said:
Yes, the electric heater does a fine job of heating the cabin (in EV mode) without starting the engine. But it will cost you in EV range. If it’s very cold outside and you’re using electric heat, your EV range will drop in half.

Possibly this is in the latest Outlander PHEV

Old Outlander PHEV, prior to the EV button ... will not be able to use the available electric heater if the difference between outside temperature and requested cabin temperature is too high (over 10deg more or less .. and based on Eco mode on / off)

About efficiency of electric heater, I know that 10min of pre-heating (so pure electric heating, when the car is parked), does allow to win just 6deg of cabin temperature .. 20min does allow to win a bit over 12deg .. etc

Electric heater is around 4kw of power ... so 1h of pre-heating is equivalent to almost 50% of available capacity used for the EV mode ... clearly assuming the car does pre-heat while not connected to the charger .. still even if connected to charger, the main battery get discharged with the equipped charger that is capable only to handle ~2kw (2200/2400w based on location) of power from the network

elm70 said:
the equipped charger that is capable only to handle ~2kw (2200/2400w based on location) of power from the network

The onboard charger can actually handle up to about 3.4kW if you have the correct EVSE to supply it. That makes the shortfall between available grid power and preheat usage more manageable.

From my experience so far in -5 degrees celsius temperatures, as long as the car is started WITHOUT the climate control turned on (the ICE will fire almost immediately), hit the EV mode button and then activate the climate control at 20deg the car is perfectly comfortable. You do immediately see a 8~9km range hit on the GoM however.

I was told the car's electric heater uses 4kW of power at full tilt. The car's maximum charge rate is 16A at 240v, which translates to ~3.5kW charge rate. Thankfully I use a 32A Chargepoint Home which while only operates at 16A reduces the range impact when preheating in the morning. When I drive unless it is below freezing, I just keep the climate control off & rely on "butt warmers" and heated steering wheel to reduce range hit.

Back