Tesla model 3 in uk 2017 and affordable!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypermiler

Anyone looked into this one? A quick search suggests 200 mile range, 30,000 gbp and smart looking, due in uk 2017. Could be a great seller at that price.

I also saw that their original roadster is going to get a battery upgrade to take the range from 245 to 400 miles....

H

I would be VERY interested at that price. 200 mile range would be plenty for me for 99% of my use BUT to make it feasible as an only / main car they would have to get their charging network in the UK sorted otherwise I'd still need another car for the 1%.

I still believe you need a 400 mile range and 5 minute charge before a pure EV is acceptable. The Outlander is the pragmatic solution.

That is not going to be competition for the Outlander. Much smaller and no ICE. It is aimed at the BMW i3

With a 200 mile range + comprehensive distribution of 30 minute charge stations and suddenly the Tesla 3 becomes a very viable 1st car. Particularly in a small country like the UK. However, there is still a need to install EV points OFF the MSRs (Main Supply Routes) to develop a mindset amongst latent buyers that charging is available anywhere and thus the car is usable anywhere. Currently the UK has too many "not spots" (where you can NOT viably operate an EV comfortably). For example; anything west of Bristol.

Anyone contemplating an EV needs a source of information (a network map) that simply and clearly demonstrates to them that there is a comprehensive and even distribution of fast EV points throughout their country. That understanding needs to be in place for them to even begin to think that an EV is a viable alternative to an ICE.

I need to research other countries' EV point distribution, but perhaps you can help us here Jaap, what is EV distribution like in Belgium/Holland/Luxemburg/Germany? In the UK it is as I have said, biased towards the MSRs and the major cities with an unusual demographic around the Nissan Leaf factory in the North East of England (where it might not otherwise be expected).

I suspect that amongst many of us EV owners is a concept that as long as I have an EV charge point at home (and work is a bonus) then I will suffer the carbon use of the ICE just to get the 90-odd% of journeys under electric power.

But I would like to think that I could for example, make a journey from my home in Letchworth 25 miles north of London to to let's say Plymouth (265mls/426 kms, almost exclusively on battery power with 30 minute coffee stops on the way and for it NOT to be a major logistical planning exercise.

I am old enough to have owned a 20mb PC which fulfilled all my needs at the time. Memory technology improved over the years to the dizzy heights of 80 and 100mb until finally and we heard of the concept of a mythical 1gb hard drive. This was stunning news to 10-20mb users. Today we have 256gb on a tiny card or thumb drive. As more time and money is invested in developing the chemistry of battery technology who knows if the next upgrade to our Mitsu PHEV is a battery pack swap-out with a 100ml/160km range?

Oh, in Holland there are charge points all over the place, rather sparse in the neighbouring countries.There are maps, and the New Motion supplies a roaming card and an app to find the nearest unoccupied charge point.

I am old enough to have owned a 20mb PC which fulfilled all my needs at the time. Memory technology improved over the years to the dizzy heights of 80 and 100mb until finally and we heard of the concept of a mythical 1gb hard drive. This was stunning news to 10-20mb users. Today we have 256gb on a tiny card or thumb drive. As more time and money is invested in developing the chemistry of battery technology who knows if the next upgrade to our Mitsu PHEV is a battery pack swap-out with a 100ml/160km range?

At risk of straying off topic, I chuckled at this. My first computer was an Apple II. It came with 48Kb onboard memory, and I remember the thrill of upgrading it with an extra 16kb on a plug-in circuit board (yes - that's all Kb not Mb). Even in 48Kb, it was powerful enough to run Visicalc (which was essentially a precursor of Excel).

.... and I remember how big a step forward the Sinclair Spectrum was over the ZX81.

I'll get my coat :!:

If you can't charge it as quickly as you can fill a tank with petrol, then it is going to remain a niche purchase. Ans don't forget that frequent fast charging is bad for the battery pack.

maddogsetc said:
.... and I remember how big a step forward the Sinclair Spectrum was over the ZX81.

I'll get my coat :!:
And I remember getting my first computer which was a ZX80 with (I think) 1KB RAM :)

And loading games with a tape player and that awful noise and having to rewind when it missed a bit! God, now I feel really old!
Isn't it just amazing how far we've come in 30 ish years!
H

Highspen said:
But I would like to think that I could for example, make a journey from my home in Letchworth 25 miles north of London to to let's say Plymouth (265mls/426 kms, almost exclusively on battery power with 30 minute coffee stops on the way and for it NOT to be a major logistical planning exercise.

My only regular journey outside London is from Clapham, South London to Southend, Essex - 50 miles. I can recharge in Southend and there re-charge stations at the half-way point at the Dartford Tunnel (Services & IKEA). So, in theory, assuming I'm prepared to wait for a fast charge, then I can do the whole thing in EV mode. As this is about once a month I need some indication from Mitsubishi on how frequently I can use a fast charger. At the moment the warnings are to vague to be useful.

BTW - I still have a similar "luggable" 20mb IBM Portable PC which I could leave anywhere because it was too heavy to steal (about the weight of your holiday hold luggage :lol: )

Hypermiler said:
And loading games with a tape player and that awful noise and having to rewind when it missed a bit! God, now I feel really old!
Isn't it just amazing how far we've come in 30 ish years!
H

Commodore Vic 20 was my first computer when others was rocking commodore 64s

it was great in the 80s ;)

I had a General Automation SPEC 12 - a "proper" minicomputer. It had a switch register and real lamps showing the state of the address and data busses. It also used real core store - it didn't wipe memory when it was switched off... I missed that on later machines - you could work till midnight, get tired, turn the mains off and it picked up where it had left off the next morning!

And the ZX Spectrum is back as a retro games console

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/2/7318775/sinclairs-zx-spectrum-is-coming-back-as-a-retro-gaming-console

Back