Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Crossing the UK twice. Do I need pounds?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 pm 

M6 toll?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 pm 

Dusz wrote:
M6 toll?

There is a free alternative

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 pm 

Thanks again, guys. Really appreciate it.

About the M6 Toll, is it worth while? I saw there are road works on the free alternative?

Note:: I'll be passing Birmingham on a Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:33 am 

Lots of shops take contactless cards now, so you could just use you regular bank ATM card. Apple Pay is also fairly widely available - I assume there's an Android equivalent

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:12 am 

anko wrote:

About the M6 Toll, is it worth while? I saw there are road works on the free alternative?

I honestly don't know any more - I used to drive past Birmingham quite often and never used the toll, but that was quite a long time ago and things may have changed. The Traffic England web site has a map which shows you approximate vehicle speed in real time - have a look at the route you expect to follow and make up your own mind. It always used to be the case that the M6 Toll was virtually empty most of the time - you are buying a motorway for twenty minutes.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:12 pm 

anko wrote:
Hi all,

This summer we will be visiting Ireland with the PHEV + caravan. We will be taking the 'Land Bridge' (take boat from Hoek van Holland to Harwich, spend one night on the East coast, one night on the West coast and then take boat from Fishgaurd to Rosslare). After spending a few weeks in Ireland we will follow the same route back home. We are very much looking forward to spending some time in the UK and Ireland.

We were discussing whether we needed to bring UK Pounds on our trip. I thought we wouldn't need to do that (having a bank card and a credit card), but is this true?

Any other tips for driving or camping would be highly appreciated. Apart from stying on the left side of the road ;-)

Thanks, Anko

Did your car got better ?

Some time ago, you reported that your Outlander PHEV was starting the ICE also when battery was almost fully charged for power demands below 40kw ... (maybe with summer time your battery now does behave better ?)

If ICE kick in for just 40kw power from battery, it is looking you will be towing all time with ICE on.

PS: Your experience with your PHEV, since it is looking one with the biggest battery degradation, could be the experience that some of us may experience in the near future ... battery degradation in my PHEV does not seams it was to slow down ... since I got mine .. my battery downgraded from 96% SOH down to 90% .. with a almost regular lost of 0.1Ah a month (with 1 exception of 0.5Ah lost)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:16 am 

We came back from our trip about a week ago. All went very well. No serious traffic on the A14 (it was on a Saturday and on the way back we travelled via Bristol). No real issues driving on the left side of the streets.

Interesting though to see how, apparently, the concepts of left and right are tied to whether or not you need to cross oncoming traffic. When my wife saw street signs pointing right, she would say "you need to take a left at the next junction" (as we had to cross oncoming traffic). And I would think "left, so I need to cross oncoming traffic". And I would turn right and all would work out just fine :lol:

Something similar on roundabouts. When the satnav said 'On the next roundabout, take the third exit', in my mind I would translate that into "Need to go left". And I would tell my wife I would be going left, but still go right. Quite unexpected.

Really the only negative experience was almost being robbed by (what people said where) 'Irish Travelers' at the Beaconsfield Services at the M40. When I returned to the car after a quick lunch, I was addressed by an very friendly English truck driver who warned me 'the traveler children' had forced the gas box of my caravan open. Fortunately, nothing was taken and they did not have time (or intentions) to get into my car or into the caravan itself. Or they didn't like drawing attention of the truck driver.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:58 pm 

Did you enjoy our huge and varied array of potholes? The lack of traffic police? Abysmal standard of driving? The light dusting of litter along our roadsides? ;)

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:07 pm 

Regulo wrote:
Did you enjoy our huge and varied array of potholes? The lack of traffic police? Abysmal standard of driving? The light dusting of litter along our roadsides? ;)

Re 1) West bound iI thought it was pretty bad. East bound, after spending 3 weeks in Ireland, I though it was quite good :D
Re 2) So, it wasn't me?
Re 3) Over here, when people approach junctions, they anticipate. They slow down and start looking right and left (maybe even look for eye contact with drivers in crossing traffic), well before reaching the stop line. In the UK (and Ireland as well) I saw a lot of people approaching junctions, slowing down only at the last moment and looking straight ahead as if they were the only people on the planet. For sure, they will come to a stop, but it does not inspire much confidence.
Re 4) So, it wasn't me?