Windows 10 upgrade

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

I was a participant in the Win10 technical preview, and have now been left with the only option of the full upgrade.

Left the computer do its thing and it seems that a heap of stuff is going on with the upgrade. My network has recorded about 12GB of traffic for today. So far the upgrade is only 62% of the way through.

Maybe Microsoft is uploading a heap of my computer back to HQ. Has been running now for 12 hours for the 62%. Not keen on pulling the plug but this is like a virus set in motion by MS HQ.

The adsl2+connection gives 10MB/sec download and 0.12MB/sec upload, so there are bottlenecks somewhere.

we're sticking with Windows 8 for the foreseeable future. It's this forced update policy that is the killer for us - we spend a lot of our time on the boat where we are dependent on a 3g mobile data contract with a 10Gb per month usage cap. Microsoft will not allow us to determine whether or not to download updates and one major download applied to the three (or four) machines that we commonly have with us could use up most of our data allowance for the month.

Thanks for the warning gwatpe. I had been holding off from downloading it until I had seen any other experiences and as I have now got used to having no start button I couldn't see any immediate benefit from changing - none now :eek:

I've downloaded it for my company (we're a MS partner) and its roughly 3.5 to 4 GB depending on the version. I don't know what could be happening with 12 GB of data. It is much better than Windows 8 or 8.1 though. Nobody forces anyone to upgrade if they don't want to.

Well, as my supplier of professional software warned me not to for the time being, I won't upgrade. As a matter of fact the last really good version of Windows was XP Professional, IMO. Glad to be on Mac for my private use.

XP good
Vista crap
Windows 7 good
Windows 8 crap
Windows 10 good

I think there might be a pattern there.

jaapv said:
Well, as my supplier of professional software warned me not to for the time being.
Yes, there are a lot of those around but as a director of an IT consultancy business, I'm happy enough with it. Even installed it on my mother's PC :D

Yes, but he warned with reason - the software will not run under Windows 10, and as it is rather convoluted, it will be updated in due course, but not too soon.

I've had microsoft vendors in twice to do presentations/demos. Interesting that we can never get a surface tablet to work on our guest wireless network, and on the latest visit we found out that Windows 10 won't work with WebEx.

westdevon said:
XP good
Vista crap
Windows 7 good
Windows 8 crap
Windows 10 good

Windows 8 is a perfectly good operating system crippled by a stupid user interface - I see little evidence that there are significant changes to the OS between Windows 8 and Windows 10. The problem with W10 is the moves that Microsoft are making towards Windows as a Service - which are taking control away from the user and may subsequently push up the cost of ownership.

Windows 8 with Start8 is an excellent operating system which does not try to take away control of my PC.

Well , the UI is acceptable if you use the touchscreen interface additionally, however, the lack of control is annoying.
Still, as long as I can run cmd it is OK.

maby said:
westdevon said:
XP good
Vista crap
Windows 7 good
Windows 8 crap
Windows 10 good

Windows 8 is a perfectly good operating system crippled by a stupid user interface - I see little evidence that there are significant changes to the OS between Windows 8 and Windows 10. The problem with W10 is the moves that Microsoft are making towards Windows as a Service - which are taking control away from the user and may subsequently push up the cost of ownership.

Windows 8 with Start8 is an excellent operating system which does not try to take away control of my PC.

20 years in ITsupport as a technical trainer has shown me that this is an argument that nobody can win. We all have our own favourites. I've even heard that some people like Apple products! :D

westdevon said:
I've even heard that some people like Apple products! :D

Yes I agree, I once used a Crapintosh, never again after that.

The problem I have with Windows now is all of the apps being converted to pastel type colours on a 2 dimensional skin, that makes it difficult to see where one section of the app finishes and the other begins. I've noticed that for the new Office and Skype products I have to tilt the screen back to around 30 degrees in order to see the ever so slight changes in colour from one section to another :roll:

westdevon said:
maby said:
westdevon said:
XP good
Vista crap
Windows 7 good
Windows 8 crap
Windows 10 good

20 years in ITsupport as a technical trainer has shown me that this is an argument that nobody can win. We all have our own favourites. I've even heard that some people like Apple products! :D

Yep - one here who would not be caught dead using Windows unless in Parallels- but then I use my MacPro mainly for photo editing.:)

Back