Adhesive on headlight

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPaul

Following a trip to France where I had some stick on beam deflectors on the car I've been left with some adhesive residue on one of the front headlights right in front of the beam and can't budge it. Have tried hot soapy water, heating it with a hair dryer, wd40 and nail polish remover with no joy. Any suggestions on how to remove it? Could it have bonded to the plastic of the headlight?

TallPaul said:
Following a trip to France where I had some stick on beam deflectors on the car I've been left with some adhesive residue on one of the front headlights right in front of the beam and can't budge it. Have tried hot soapy water, heating it with a hair dryer, wd40 and nail polish remover with no joy. Any suggestions on how to remove it? Could it have bonded to the plastic of the headlight?

Lighter fluid (yellow Ronson type can NOT gas :oops: ) works with all these sort of adhesives - but don't use it whilst smoking :lol:

BTW I've left mine on as I can't see how they interfere with the working of the headlamps in UK. ;)

TallPaul said:

Doesn't the manual say you don't need beam deflectors?

westdevon said:
TallPaul said:

Not for us in steerage with the Gxh3 :lol:

greendwarf said:
westdevon said:
TallPaul said:

Not for us in steerage with the Gxh3 :lol:

Ah, good point :oops:

When all else has failed, I try methylated spirits. Deals with most sticky stuff (and removes Biro from leather suites easily!).

The advantage of lighter fluid over meths or oils is that it evaporates without leaving any residue (stamp collectors use it for this reason to view watermarks) :p

Lighter fluid tried too. No joy. It's like it's bonded with the headlight. Will have a chat to my local garage see if they've any suggestions to polish it out or keep my eye out on ebay for a replacement.

Googone might do it. It's good stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goo-Gone-Cleaning-Liquid-29/dp/B003BQRQ02

If you have tried lighter fluid etc as per the above posts but still have a sticky residue, try this:

1) wipe the residue in vinegar (soak if possible using kitchen towel soaked in it and then cling film to hold it in place over the residue). Do this FOR NO MORE THAN 30 mins.
2) wipe the residue away using the vinegar soaked kitchen towel - then cover the remaining sticky patch with a non abrasive powder like talcum powder or similar.
3)wipe with vinegar (or ammonia) soaked cloth / sponge again ( do not scrub !).
4) pour nearly boiling water onto the area and wipe off immediately with clean non abrasive cloths / towel.
5) repeat the process from (2) above until stain is dry, black and smeered.
6) use a small quantity of cutting product ( Fine T Cut, Gel coat restorer etc.) to finish the job without scratching the paint or the plastic finish.

Those of you who park under trees at this time of year as I do may find this useful to get tree sap off your paintwork and trim. :eek:

Back