FREE 32amp untethered chargers!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 816

If your willing to be in the trial and live in an eligible Great Western area they
are offering free 30/32amp smart chargers with installation. You get to keep it afterwards free.

From what I can gather, it will communicate via your broadband so they can monitor your usage pattern and they will have the ability to vary your charging rates in response to demand on the local power network. Presumably to see how much the current infrastructure could be used without major upgrades. I believe you still get some control of your charging pattern preferences.

http://www.electricnation.org.uk/trial-details/

Just checked and it seems we're in the test area, so I've applied.

I currently use the supplied charger plugged into a 13A socket in the garage, and normally charge overnight at off peak rates, with an occasional day time top up if I know I'm going to need it.

Let's see what happens....

It's in the Western Power supply areas. I signed up last year and had the charging point installed in March.

Did a good job but refused to lay the cable in the ground so had to have it around the garden wall which was not my preference. Local electrician has now sorted it out. :)

I also suspect it is dominating our broadband as all our internet devices are now slower and also lose connection much more often than before. :cry:

Tipper said:
It's in the Western Power supply areas. I signed up last year and had the charging point installed in March.

Did a good job but refused to lay the cable in the ground so had to have it around the garden wall which was not my preference. Local electrician has now sorted it out. :)

I also suspect it is dominating our broadband as all our internet devices are now slower and also lose connection much more often than before. :cry:

Does your router have a guest access channel? (I use the one on mine to control the kids internet access as they only have passwords to connect via that) in my router you can throttle back the guest channel to limits its impact on your general use perhaps you can have it on that...

I presume the installer some how programmed your router SSID and password into the charger. Do you have any access to its setting to change them now?

Interesting point on the nw inpact, I'll keep an eye on that if we get to that point. I think the signal strength in the garage will be too weak to use anyway, and I don't plan on putting in another extender just for this !

The broadband connection is normally cabled to the router if that is nearby. Mine isn't but as I already have a 'plug-in mains' extender near the distribution board in the garage for when I use my laptop when working on my other cars they've utilised that. The EV charger unit has been wired to this extender via an Ethernet cable so not actually using the wifi, just the broadband.

My suspicion is that their use of the broadband slows down/interferes with our own broadband usage. Our two PCs are cabled to the router and other tablets, phones etc, are via wifi.

The router is a BT Home-hub 5. Does that have the guest channel? Presumably that is only for a wifi connection.

From their docs: "In some circumstances this will require an additional cable to the router, however for the majority of participants this will not be required and communication will be wireless."
Not a runner for me if it isn't.

Just spoken to them, and while I qualify for the trial I will have to buy a Type 1 to Type 2 cable to be able to use it. Looks like this will set me back £100+ ? Not sure I can justify that. Unless the value of having the charger installed is worth it from a future proofing point of view (given the noises coming out of government). Anyone know what it would cost to have one installed ?

Big catch to this scheme is that the installation grant is only available during the first one year of ownership or lease for private owners.
I have missed out by three months.
Could still have unit installed but cost is £500 plus cable cost of £150-£200
The scheme terminates December 2018

Big John :(
GX3+
Orient Red
Named "Sparky"

I still have three months left.

So I could spend £100+ on a cable now, to avoid an additional cost of £500 if I want to put a fixed charge point in later. Can't see any merit in spending this money, or any viable payback, as my use is almost all based on off-peak overnight charging for most driving and use of ICE for occasional long drives. My guess is that if this market takes off the way it is hoped then volume and competition will drive the costs way down.

ps44 said:
I still have three months left.

So I could spend £100+ on a cable now, to avoid an additional cost of £500 if I want to put a fixed charge point in later. Can't see any merit in spending this money, or any viable payback, as my use is almost all based on off-peak overnight charging for most driving and use of ICE for occasional long drives. My guess is that if this market takes off the way it is hoped then volume and competition will drive the costs way down.

There is nothing complex or expensive in a 16A charger unit - plenty of scope to get the price way down if the demand was there.

maby said:
There is nothing complex or expensive in a 16A charger unit - plenty of scope to get the price way down if the demand was there.

True. But it still needs a 'man in a van' to come round and install it, which is where most of the cost is. Not £500 for sure, but it must be be at least a couple of hours work for a qualified electrician.

Back