Outlander PHEV 4H - UK Sat Nav

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnCourse

Hi All,

Does anyone else find the sat nav in this car basically useless? I have tried various options during the past few months but to no avail. The navigation algorithm is IMHO laughable and we always end up having to use Google maps on our phone to obtain a sensible route. I have now actually given up using it completely and have returned to my faithful Tom Tom. I have to say I was very, very surprised to find such a poor excuse for a sat nav in what, after all, is not a cheap car.

Or is it just me?

The user interface isn't the best, I agree. I can't claim to be an intensive user (most of my journeys are local pottering about where a sat-nav isn't needed) - but when I have used it, I've found it OK. Yes, Google Maps is better, but that's also the case for all built-in sat-navs that I've seen.

Is it possible that your map is out of date and so unaware of new roads and one-way systems where you live?

Same as Chris, not an intensive user but it's always worked ok for me. I used to think the suggested journey times were a bit pessimistic, but it's usually pretty close - just me being unrealistic :lol:

Thank you both for you reply. Yes the map is out of date according to Mitsubishi, even though the car was first registered May 2017 it came with a 2016 dated map. However, the problem is not with the map it's the route calculations. Try using it even for a local journey and one you know well just to see what a mess the system makes of deciding which way to take you. If you're going somewhere you don't know then yes, it will work and it will get you to your destination but in my experience it will not be the best route.

Mitsubishi uses Navteq maps and algorithms in their satnav, like 42 other car brands, including most major ones.
It is no surprise to me that it is not very good in the UK. My car before the PHEV was a Jaguar, which has Navteq-based satnav as well, and although it was pretty good on the Continent, it was near-useless in the UK - go figure...

Well, if Captain Cook could find Whitby, it would be a rather sad state of affairs if your SatNav couldn't. :lol:

Same for me as others here, the interface is a bit ‘clunky’ but never had a problem with the routing or the way it actually works when the route has been calculated.

Just a thought, but there are four options for how you want the route to be calculated – i.e. fastest, shortest, easiest, most efficient (from memory I think these are the four). Maybe the OP could check which option is being used, because using anything other than fastest will generally result in a different route being selected ?

geoffshep69 said:
Same for me as others here, the interface is a bit ‘clunky’ but never had a problem with the routing or the way it actually works when the route has been calculated.

Just a thought, but there are four options for how you want the route to be calculated – i.e. fastest, shortest, easiest, most efficient (from memory I think these are the four). Maybe the OP could check which option is being used, because using anything other than fastest will generally result in a different route being selected ?
Thanks for your reply. I have tried various combinations in the Route Options but to no avail. The routes are IMHO ridiculous most of the time. The thing is you probably wouldn't notice if you are on a route you are not familiar with and some might say that if you're familiar with a route then why bother using the sat nav, but I've used it most of the time since getting the car simply to ascertain which settings work best for me. During these trials it soon became very clear that the sat nav was much less useful than my trusty Tom Tom, which I am now using instead of the in-built one, which is a shame. If I though the latest update would correct these issues I would not hesitate in paying the exorbitant cost to upgrade but I'm assuming the update pertains to map data only.

Another source of trouble might be that the SatNav does use traffic data to avoid traffic jams,(rather efficiently I find) which may result in a different route. I understand that the traffic data system in the UK does not function optimally all the time.

jaapv said:
Another source of trouble might be that the SatNav does use traffic data to avoid traffic jams,(rather efficiently I find) which may result in a different route. I understand that the traffic data system in the UK does not function optimally all the time.

New housing/new roads in the UK is an issue, there are many new housing estates within 2 minutes drive from my home that are not shown on the SatNav other than as fields.

My now sold on eBay, TomTom, at least had map updates included for free, a £42.5k car and no updates? That said there still isn't an EV that'd suit our needs and budget.

I always have Google Maps running beside my SatNav. They seem to make different mistakes, but Google is more up to date than any navigation system. I find.

SolarBoy said:
My now sold on eBay, TomTom, at least had map updates included for free, a £42.5k car and no updates? That said there still isn't an EV that'd suit our needs and budget.

Do any car manufacturers update their integrated satnavs for free? Neither Audi nor Landrover did when I ran their cars. That’s why I like the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay System in my Juro model PHEV. Not that that helps you guys with MMCS.

Updated ours this last weekend to the latest 2018 HERE version in our 2014 model 4HS. Seems basically the same system but with route alternatives and a new mistress! No idea how good the maps are yet.

I would comment however that my co-driver usually drives the sat-nav as I find it totally incomprehensible! :lol: However, we do tend to disagree with the sat-nav a lot and ignore it on many journeys...it soon catches up and reroutes.

This is my first car with a built-in sat nav. I have always avoided them as being an overpriced option with overpriced update costs that bumps up the BIK tax.
If I could have got the 4h without sat nav that is what I would have ordered.
The cost of map updates is exorbitant. My company would not allow me that expenditure so it will not get updated. For the cost of less than one map update I can buy a stand alone full European sat nav with free life-time map updates.
The advantage with this is that if I fly anywhere in Europe and hire a car I can use my own sat nav without having to pay the additional charges levied by the hire companies, again normally excessive.

I'm glad I don't have to the satnav as mine has Android Auto instead.
And yes I either use Waze or Here; even for familiar routes, as the traffic updates are very useful.
So a satnav without traffic input is useless to me.

jaapv said:
Are there any SatNavs without traffic input around then?
I'm presuming the offline SatNavs?!
I can run Here off-line...
To pay for on-line in-car service seems double-up, since you already have mobile phone anyway. (Probably the Dutch 'zuinigheid' in me ;) )
In rural Ontario you don't need traffic input (outside cottage traffic) as there are not many options anyway. You just don't want to miss the next turn :arrow: .

Back