2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I inquired and re-inquired to a few USA dealers about MY2019, whether it'll get the powertrain updates:

"the new 2019 PHEV will have a bigger battery and a bigger powertrain, the 2.4." - Aron Nelson, Continental Mitsubishi, Countryside, IL. EDIT: now Aron is saying what user Kelmac reported, that it will not get the powertrain update.

"bigger engine from 2.0 to 2.4 and larger battery with a range of 22 to 28 miles on EV mode." - Adam Ferry, Shortline Mitsubishi, Auroro, CO

Also, Adam Ferry quoted above said MY2019 will be available in the USA sometime in October 2018.

Picking up a UK MY2019 Oultlander 4H in white for a four day road test tomorrow - need to change current care in Nov from a BMW X3.. Hopeing it will be a good fit for me - as it will save me so much money!

If any particular questions or photos required let me know and I will try and answer/share..

bounderboy said:
Picking up a UK MY2019 Oultlander 4H in white for a four day road test tomorrow - need to change current care in Nov from a BMW X3.. Hopeing it will be a good fit for me - as it will save me so much money!

If any particular questions or photos required let me know and I will try and answer/share..

Let us know if the money saved is worth the downgrade in every area of driving dynamics :) I half joke as I'll be in the same boat soon (currently with a BMW X1)

Woodman411 said:
bounderboy said:

Let us know if the money saved is worth the downgrade in every area of driving dynamics :) I half joke as I'll be in the same boat soon (currently with a BMW X1)

Take a look at my thread - i have detailed my ramblings of each day of the test drive... TLDR - wouldn't change if I had unlimited money, but thinking the money saving will be worth it.

bounderboy said:
Woodman411 said:
bounderboy said:

Take a look at my thread - i have detailed my ramblings of each day of the test drive... TLDR - wouldn't change if I had unlimited money, but thinking the money saving will be worth it.
My guess: a couple of months and you have gotten used to the savings. And then all that is left is the idea that if it's not you're beloved BMW and you will not be a happy camper. Make sure you think this over very, very well. Seen it happen a lot last five years.

Woodman411 said:
I inquired and re-inquired to a few USA dealers about MY2019, whether it'll get the powertrain updates:

"the new 2019 PHEV will have a bigger battery and a bigger powertrain, the 2.4." - Aron Nelson, Continental Mitsubishi, Countryside, IL. EDIT: now Aron is saying what user Kelmac reported, that it will not get the powertrain update.

"bigger engine from 2.0 to 2.4 and larger battery with a range of 22 to 28 miles on EV mode." - Adam Ferry, Shortline Mitsubishi, Auroro, CO

Also, Adam Ferry quoted above said MY2019 will be available in the USA sometime in October 2018.

Not good, not only has Aron from Continental said MY2019 will not get the powertrain updates, now Zack from Michaud Mitsubishi (MA) said the same thing. He did say all other updates (soundproofing, spot welding, suspension upgrades, etc) will be making it for MY2019, I'm guessing they're saving the powertrain update for MY2020. Bummer :cry:

Maybe Mitsubishi has done me a favor. Instead of going for MY2019, I might now wait for MY2020, at which time there will be 3 other 4x4-phev-players in the North American market in the same price-range as the Outlander: Subaru Crosstek, Hyundai Sante Fe, and Ford Escape.

anko said:
[
My guess: a couple of months and you have gotten used to the savings. And then all that is left is the idea that if it's not you're beloved BMW and you will not be a happy camper. Make sure you think this over very, very well. Seen it happen a lot last five years.

Thanks for the advice.. Totally understand what you are saying. I am lucky that even if this ends up the worst decision I am only waiting 3/4 years and I can try something else. At the end of the day I feel a little like a spoilt brat even moaning at any of the differences. So many people would love the opportunity for a new car of any description, let alone quibbling over if the plastics of the dashboard are nice feeling..

You can say told you so when I come on here crying :)

MY2019 Outlander phev finally "reaches" Japan, 23 days after UK: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/lineup/outlander_phev/index.html

and: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/lineup/outlander_phev/special_portal/

The S edition retains its exclusive Bilstein struts/shocks, implying that it still represents an upgrade over the already upgraded MY2019 struts/shocks. Also looks like a few new OEM accessories:

View attachment Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 9.57.04 PM.png

In the above picture, one can clearly see Toyo tires. Car review stated that for MY2019, the Toyo's got replaced with Yokohama's. Now I'm wondering whether certain trims retain the Toyo's.

The latest information for North America (NA) now shows that MY2019 will not be a forked version, that is, one with the newer skin but older powertrain, as suggested in this March 2018 memo: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3707 . Rather, MY2019 will be largely the same as other countries, but will be arriving late, as in, sometime in 2019, possibly as late as Summer. Dealers have apparently stockpiled enough MY2018's throughout NA to last them through this late delivery. I am not 100% certain on this, however this does seem more plausible from a production and logistic perspective. We will know for sure in the next few months.

New advert playing in the UK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m36hcsQVVxs
It doesn't tell us much about the car, but at least it's better than the mythological creatures featured in the last one.

Sorry for the back and forth, the forked MY2019 (new skin, old powertrain) is now reality: https://www.motoring.com.au/mitsubishi-launches-cut-price-suvs-114463

This undoubtedly means US and CAN will be receiving the forked version for MY2019.

New Autocar review:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mitsubishi/outlander-phev/first-drives/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-4h-2018-uk-review
seems quite fair to me, written by someone who had the old model on long term test, so understands the car better than many reviewers (but still moans about engine revs being 'not well-connected to the driving wheels').

ChrisMiller said:
New Autocar review:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mitsubishi/outlander-phev/first-drives/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-4h-2018-uk-review
seems quite fair to me, written by someone who had the old model on long term test, so understands the car better than many reviewers (but still moans about engine revs being 'not well-connected to the driving wheels').

Haha! yes like complaining the local power station doesn't rev up when you turn the oven on!

I am starting to warm to the idea of having another one again, its pretty cheap to lease on our company scheme, maybe a Juro on a short 2 year one until the company car tax mess settles down.

and bored of driving something with a 64 plate!

Good article by Autocar which tells us it is basically the same car as 2014 with some incremental improvements and some questionable bling add-ons.
However, still very little else out there to complete at the price point - discounts make it a £30k car.
Roll-on the replacement - same size, 50-60 mile electric range, better interior, decent electronics - and I'll buy one off the first boat from Japan!

BobEngineer said:
I am starting to warm to the idea of having another one again
Me too. My lease is up in December and I'll have to buy a replacement as I'm going to wind up my personal company. The Niro hasn't had very good reviews and seems to be hard to get hold of in PHEV form, while the Mini PHEV is nice, but about the same price as the Outlander for a half-sized car :D. Other ('better') alternatives (e.g. XC60) are a lot more expensive.

ChrisMiller said:
BobEngineer said:
Me too. My lease is up in December and I'll have to buy a replacement as I'm going to wind up my personal company. The Niro hasn't had very good reviews and seems to be hard to get hold of in PHEV form, while the Mini PHEV is nice, but about the same price as the Outlander for a half-sized car :D. Other ('better') alternatives (e.g. XC60) are a lot more expensive.

I am due a replacement but the company have said I can hang on as long as I like but would like a new car. I should be patient as I want to see what the Honda CRV hybrid is like end of this year, and the new RAV4 due early next year looks fantastic too. Both non plug in hybrids but I don't mind.

Looking at the current PHEV line up its annoying they don't allow some options. The cheaper Juro has 99% of what I need but I wouldn't want to go back to halogen headlights!

In which case might as well go for the 4H which has upgrades on the old one like 360 degree cameras, heated windscreen (bit pointless with pre-heat!) and heated steering wheel (whatever!), leather... but importantly LED headlights.

But I would really like the adaptive cruise from the 4HS, but don't want yet more annoying beeping crap like lane departure etc and the 4HS is loaded with it.

A Juro with LED headlights and adaptive cruise options would be fine!

ChrisMiller said:
New Autocar review:

Thanks, I'll add to the OP.

ChrisMiller said:
BobEngineer said:

Hard to believe same time next year, we'll have 3 additional phev choices: Subaru Crosstek, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Ford Kuga/Escape.

Back