MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER PHEV actual consumption of gas and kWh

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savefuel

:?: So far I covered 1700 plus kilometers with the PHEV 'NAVIGATOR' edition in rather cold weather (+7º C to - 18º C) in mostly alpine environment. Average 'actual payoad' was 300 lbs. Up to now I wasn't able to get the 824 kms combined distance out of one full tank of gas 45 L plus one full battery charge of ~ 9 kWh yet... However I got 6.7 L /100 kms with 0 kWh and averaged 5.47 L with ~ 3.9 kWh / 100 km. Electric range at 4º C was 44 kms in flat terrain -and- 39 kms over a hill with ~ 400 metres vertical gain and loss. What are your experiences and results?

savefuel said:
:?: So far I covered 1700 plus kilometers with the PHEV 'NAVIGATOR' edition in rather cold weather (+7º C to - 18º C) in mostly alpine environment. Average 'actual payoad' was 300 lbs. Up to now I wasn't able to get the 824 kms combined distance out of one full tank of gas 45 L plus one full battery charge of ~ 9 kWh yet... However I got 6.7 L /100 kms with 0 kWh and averaged 5.47 L with ~ 3.9 kWh / 100 km. Electric range at 4º C was 44 kms in flat terrain -and- 39 kms over a hill with ~ 400 metres vertical gain and loss. What are your experiences and results?

I think your figure of 824 is a tad optimistic... If I can get 6-700 out if a tank I'll be happy, if I charge it every night. Anything around 4l for the type of car it is will be good, but as always it totally depends on your driving. If you do 15-20k's a day during the week, and 100 over the weekend, you'll get amazing figures like the other PHEV in our state, that has so far used 5l of fuel in 800k's. I have no hope of getting that, as I do about 100-150 a day during most normal weeks, and one week a month I'll do 1000, but I know that for the first 50 k's it'll be extremely cheap. This is during winter where our electricity costs are 30% more than in summer.

I drove the Outlander PHEV for Mitsubishi Switzerland in order to figure out if the combined range of 824 kilometers (or 512 miles) can be reproduced on the road.
We charged the battery and filled the tank. I drove the vehicle from Härkingen (Switzerland) to Amsterdam and refueled the car (45.17 L) after 830.2 kilometers in Utrecht (NL).
There are a lot of hills (up to 3115 ft MSL) between those two locations...
On the way back I covered 782 kilometers (up to 3576 ft MSL) with 44.77 litres without charging/plugging-in the traction battery between fuel stops.
Overall consumption was 5.58 L / 100 kms PLUS 0.5 kWh / 100 kms!
So the MITSUBISHI NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) figures are realistic BUT the vehicle has to be driven as in the NEDC...

This looks like a good thread to post my fuel figures.
Since early June, I have done 3 trips over 100 kms - 144, 213 & 582

Outlander PHEV monthly fuel details July 2014
Monthly KMs 922 Total KMS 3021
July petrol (ltrs) 38 July cost $ 55.85
(Petrol total (ltrs) 65.8 Total cost $ 96.60)
Petrol gauge at end of month approx - 95% (3 lts = used in total 69 lts)
July ltrs/100 kms xx ltrs/100kms (from next month, I will try and collect this figure)
Total ltrs/100 kms 2.3 ltrs/100kms
KWH @16 cents $ 34 Total to date $ 54
July kwhs 216 Total to date 341 kwhs
For July - 23.4 kwh/100 kms

I hope this lot makes sense, I wanted to see what I was using.
Goldie

Goldie - where are you getting your kwh figures from?

You've got me thinking - should I fill up (with petrol) on the 1st of each month so I can get a total cost figure for each month? I'm still stuck in the conventional car - 'fill it when it gasps' - mindset.

The only thing that puts me off this is that I believe petrol does eventually 'go off' and, with my usage I may never properly replenish the tank.

Hi maddogsetc,

Goldie - where are you getting your kwh figures from?

Under the the TRIP function there is a tab to show the cost of the current charge and the total charge for the month. Part of this is an option to set a price of a kwh. I used my off peak rate as this is when I mostly charge. From the total dollar amount for the month, I divided that figure by the kwh price to get the total kwhs for that month.
There is a graph for this function but I have not made sense of this yet.
I access this function from the short cut buttion for EV from the 2 screen display with the GPS map.

You've got me thinking - should I fill up (with petrol) on the 1st of each month so I can get a total cost figure for each month? I'm still stuck in the conventional car - 'fill it when it gasps' - mindset.

I thought about filling up at the start of the month too, but decided why carry a full tank of petrol when only using a part of it during the month. You are carrying extra weight for nothing. I try and use the petrol gauge to est the petrol used. Also I charge every night and try really hard to keep my petrol use to a minimun. But have come around to thinking (like both of the posts I have read), to let the Outlander run the ICE when it needs to, like in the very cold mornings I have seen here in the last few days. I only use SAVE when in high speed running (80 to 100 kmh)
One thing I have seen is that when the warning light gives the low fuel level, there is still about 10 litres remaining in the tank.

The only thing that puts me off this is that I believe petrol does eventually 'go off' and, with my usage I may never properly replenish the tank.
I think you are right to think about 'bad petrol' as well. The manual talks about this.

Goldie

The myth about petrol going off is a bit of baloney. The ADAC (German RAC) recently published a test where they stored a jerrycan of petrol for 25 years. When opened it was perfectly fine for running a car.

jaapv said:
The myth about petrol going off is a bit of baloney. The ADAC (German RAC) recently published a test where they stored a jerrycan of petrol for 25 years. When opened it was perfectly fine for running a car.

You may find that the same test conducted 25 years from now gives different results - the content of petrol has changed a lot over the last 25 years! Lead has gone and the fuel companies are forced to add all sorts of bio-compounds.

jaapv said:
As long as its not my car.

I divided that figure by the kwh price to get the total kwhs for that month.
Good idea!

I thought about filling up at the start of the month too, but decided why carry a full tank of petrol when only using a part of it during the month
And that's a very good point too, A full tank must be close to 40Kg. Shame the petrol 'gauge' is so 'blocky' though - it's not very easy to accurately estimate the amount left in the tank and the only way of accurately measuring fuel consumption is with a brim to brim test.

maby said:
jaapv said:

You may find that the same test conducted 25 years from now gives different results - the content of petrol has changed a lot over the last 25 years! Lead has gone and the fuel companies are forced to add all sorts of bio-compounds.

The petrol left in fuel systems turns to a kind of varnish as the petrol degrades and the remaining deposits need to be removed to prevent ongoing problems.

On a personal level I have been building and rebuilding cars for decades and have had old cars sat unused in garages for years that struggle to start and yet some fresh petrol makes all the difference.

The PHEV takes care of the unused petrol problem by running the engine after (I think) six months if (something like) 4 litres of fuel hasn't been added and continues to run the engine until that 4 litres is added. I think basically it switches into save mode until you add more petrol.

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi
They recommend running the engine by pressing the charge switch at least once every three months, but apparently you should refuel 20 litres of fuel every six months. Hoping I might get that far (in my dreams) :lol:

jdsx said:
Hi
They recommend running the engine by pressing the charge switch at least once every three months, but apparently you should refuel 20 litres of fuel every six months. Hoping I might get that far (in my dreams) :lol:
Hi,
Yes, I think I meant 20 litres of fuel. If during 6 months you haven't added 20 litres then the car effectively switches into permanent save mode until you have added 20 litres of fuel.
In other words, you don't have to worry about petrol going off.
Kind regards,
Mark

That's not the way I read it. Owner's manual says "...observe the following instructions....Refuel 20 litres or more of fuel every 6 months....If refueling of the above amount is not possible......consult a Mitsubishi Motors Authorised Service Point", so I don't think it is automatic.

I can't find the full details but section 2-03 of the owners manual says the engine may start even when in EV mode when "The vehicle hasn't been refueled for a long time".

Same page also says the engine may start when the vehicle is stationary when "The engine hasn't been operated for a long time"

Back