Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front and rear parking sensors - views please
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:14 am 

I have a 2016 4H and decided I would make do with the camera, having only had a camera on my Prius.
A friend of mine really likes the car and is considering a 2016 4HS as he really wants front and rear sensors.
The dealer has suggested they could fit sensors to a 4H and save him money if he doesn't want the other bells and whistles of the S.

I recall reading previous posts about dealer fitted sensors not being the same as those on the HS.

My questions are :-
Anyone with a 2016 4HS that can comment on the parking sensors. Do they have switches to operate or are they automatic.
Are they any good ?

Anyone had dealer fitted front and rear sensors on a 2016 model. Are they automatic or are there switches required to operate them ?
Are they any good ?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.
Graham

Post subject: Re: Front and rear parking sensors - views please
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:46 am 

I have a pre-facelift 4h, no sensors but reversing camera and had rear sensors fitted yesterday as we found the camera nothing short of useless! Needs perfect lighting and no bright sunlight on the in-car screen with no rain/sleet/snow to obscure the lens! New sensors are fab and I'd be happier if I could switch off the camera!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:53 am 

The camera is absolutely wonderful! You just need to keep the lens reasonably clean. A few weeks ago I made the mistake of driving down a narrow track between two lines of parked cars - expecting to be able to get out at the far end. It was blocked! There was no space to turn around and I was faced with the prospect of reversing a couple of hundred yards - with a couple of near 90 degree bends - would have been a horrible task in any other car. With the reversing camera it was little more difficult than driving in in the first place!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:15 am 

maby wrote:
The camera is absolutely wonderful! You just need to keep the lens reasonably clean. A few weeks ago I made the mistake of driving down a narrow track between two lines of parked cars - expecting to be able to get out at the far end. It was blocked! There was no space to turn around and I was faced with the prospect of reversing a couple of hundred yards - with a couple of near 90 degree bends - would have been a horrible task in any other car. With the reversing camera it was little more difficult than driving in in the first place!

+1

Never had a camera before, not getting another car without one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:22 am 

maby wrote:
The camera is absolutely wonderful! You just need to keep the lens reasonably clean.

It snowed heavily here at the weekend and when I needed to reverse into our driveway which was dimly lit (new light up today) and a tight turn due to other parked cars, the constant snow flakes on the lens resulted in a very fuzzy, vaseline effect image on the screen. Looked a bit pretty, but nothing short of useless. Got out of the car, wiped away the snow flakes, but by the time I got back in and re-started the manoeuvre there was snow on the lens again - grrrrr!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:26 am 

lg1726 wrote:
maby wrote:
The camera is absolutely wonderful! You just need to keep the lens reasonably clean.

It snowed heavily here at the weekend and when I needed to reverse into our driveway which was dimly lit (new light up today) and a tight turn due to other parked cars, the constant snow flakes on the lens resulted in a very fuzzy, vaseline effect image on the screen. Looked a bit pretty, but nothing short of useless. Got out of the car, wiped away the snow flakes, but by the time I got back in and re-started the manoeuvre there was snow on the lens again - grrrrr!

OK - but that is pretty rare and if you keep the lens clean, it will make life much easier for at least 11 months of the year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:28 am 

lg1726 wrote:
maby wrote:

There's a mod for that - you get your wife to stand behind the car with a hair dryer blowing onto the camera - hey presto! Car reversed perfectly into its space, electrocuted wife :lol:

2 birds 1 stone!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:01 am 

I have the HSX, I would now not do without both the cameras and sensors, both are of great use imo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:19 pm 

Haven't got mine, though in the demo car the reversing camera was great.

Have got some RainX ready for my lenses :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:44 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I agree that the camera can be a bit iffy with the wrong lighting and/or weather.
Still looking for more feedback from anyone who has had the dealer fit sensors prior to delivery.
I don't think they are integrated with the car the way the factory fitted items are but I would love to be proved wrong.